A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Petition for Macromedia to improve the Macintosh Flash Plugin.

me too...

Thomas Edwards

Sort it out

Please Please sort this out.

?????

Mike, surely this cant be a new problem? since Flash 4 I have been complaining to Macromedia regarding the speed of Movies in Mac compared to PC. From your replies in this forum it seems that you have never encountered this problem?? Is this a case of Macromedia sticking their heads in the ground? Im sure that Ive read about this problem within Macromedia's own FAQ. Sort it out Please
    Also running a few tests yourselves on SWF's would easily reproduce the differences between PC and Mac.I dont think that people should have to send you examples to sort out a clear problem, the number of replies to this thread should make you see that you have one. Sorry for the rant

If Flash were a more standard plugin they would find themselves on more than just design sites and ads. I have a top 5 entertainment site that would work cleaner and easier as an entirely flash site, but cannot because of the inconsistencies between the way it works on different platforms. I'm stuck designing a Flash/HTML/ASP/Javascript creation only Frankenstein could love.

PLEASE fix your player for Macs.

Count me in. I have just posted a message stated that Macintosh sucks with flash but obviously it's not apple at all in macromedia stuffing it up. Apologies to apple and all it's faithful users.

Len

CERTAINLY!!

of course. Pretty please, improve it.

definetley considering I'll be working mainly on MACS in my new uni course

gets my vote

I am an advocate for any improvement to the Flash player for the Macintosh systems. With Macintosh processor capabilities the player should at least function at par with other PC systems. It is a frustrating task to attempt to factor in all the unknown variables that comes with designing for, testing with the Flash Player for the Macintosh.

Any improvements would be appreciated.
    Thank you for the consideration.

Eileen Martinez

Something MUST be done. I just switched to mac and many others are too. The mac is built for design so what's the deal with such a slow player?

animation speed

Although pcs are entering the graphic design environment more and more; let's face it macs are a dominate force in the world of gd. Let's standardize the way flash works. My main complant and huge difference boils down to frame speed. My flash animations run like they are on amphetamines when played in the pc environment.

Please help us, all we want flash equality for all PC's and Mac's. I have a dream that one day Mac's and PC's will work hand in hand with flash.
    Thank you

psx = new Moderator();
    Hey all - I've started building a player-tester movie, you can check it out at:
    http://www.conciousriddims.com/flashtester/
    (requires version 6 player)

It basically tests 2 things, graphics (tons of mc's and graphic symbols moving on stage all at once) and the speed at which code can be run.

It may not be the ultimate test, but it's at least a solid benchmark that can be used to test player performance across platforms/browser configurations. I will upload the source file, as well as a projector for macs and an exe for windows if anyone would find them useful.

Here are my results using os x.1.5 on a 300mhz powerbook g3, 160megs ram.

ie 5.2:
    High: 38.773 secs @ 7.3504fps
    Med: 33.77 secs @ 8.4394fps
    Low: 30.767 secs @ 9.2631fps

Code Score: 63

Opera is evel lower, around 6fps at high quality!!

The ideal times are 13.57 secs @ 21 fps
    and 88 for the code score.

Hope it helps, it'll be good to get some numbers. If I should start a different thread with this, just let me know and I will. Just thought this would be a good place to start.

Psx

edit:
    I just found out about the beta player - MAC 6,0,39,0
    Same setup with new player:
    high: 32.647 secs @ 8.7297fps

i agree

I am having a big problen with mac's flash player.
    I agree with hundred percent.
    Lallo

Signed

It makes it harder to balance the quality of our productions if the speed of the flash player is different on a Mac.

Lucky for me, I'm downloading Red Hat (Linux) right now Only 2 1/2 hours left

Great stuff Psychlonex, i'm doing a bit of video at the mo;, so i'll post later.
    I put a thread in the CL to get some non-mac testers too...we shall see.

psx = new Moderator();
    sjt - sounds good. We need exactly that, some numbers from some pc's. I was trying to edit my post earlier but no go.

Anyway, I tested a compaq presario laptop - 600mhz celeron, 120megs ram, winXP.

Netscape(7.1) was the fastest but ie was really close.
    high: 19.452fps
    med: 14.398fps
    low: 20.719fps

code: 88 <-- perfect score!

Also tested some browsers on the mac, opera was the slowest to play it, with an average fps of about 6, maybe 7 on low. Chimera was the fastest, about 12-14 tops. That's about as fast as the standalone or running it "test-movie" style. The rest of the numbers I posted have been from Ie 5.2.

Omni-web wouldn't display it correctly. It did things I didn't think were possible with flash. It just stayed at the first frame, and I hit forward, and it went to the next, but wouldn't go past the preloader. WEIRD!!

Psx

Hi all.

Back when this thread first began, one of Macromedia's representitives (Mike Chambers) was involved in posting
    several responses.

Originally posted by MikeChambers

i have asked for simple examples twice in this thread. does anyone have a simple example that demonstrates the difference between the mac flash player and the pc flash player (and takes into account differences in system attributes such as processor speed?). if anyone does, please let me know, and I will send them directly to the flash player team.

mike chambers

mesh@macromedia.com

In response to Mike Chambers requests I sent him a very simple example which clearly shows the difference between
    both the PC and MAC Flash Player. He has assured me that the "Flash Player Team" is looking into this issue
    using the files I have supplied. So hopefully we should all have a response in the near future. (Don't hold your breath though)

Thanks.

Originally posted by SJT
    Great stuff Psychlonex, i'm doing a bit of video at the mo;, so i'll post later.
    I put a thread in the CL to get some non-mac testers too...we shall see.
    I use both PC & MAC running FP6 and below are my "SUPRISING RESULTS" using psychlonex's flashtester.

MAC(SPECS)
    IMAC OS 9.2 / IE 5.1 / 600Mhz / 1Gb ram

High = 14.676 secs @ 19.419fps / 85 score
    Med = 14.477 secs @ 19.686fps / 85 score
    Low = 14.228 secs @ 20.030fps / 85 score

PC(SPECS)
    SONY VAIO PC / XP / IE 6 / 1.6Ghz / 512Mb ram

High = 15.246 secs @ 18.693fps / 80 score
    Med = 15.104 secs @ 18.869fps / 80 score
    Low = 15.138 secs @ 18.826fps / 79 score

No offense psychlonex, but this flashtester contradicts everything about the problem with player on MACS as you can see by my results.
    In my case the MAC out-performed the PC with your flashtester, yet, with simple examples it does not.

psx = new Moderator();
    Hey -
    Good deal.
    The tester tool wasn't originally built to prove macs were running slower, it was started as a way to provide at least a benchmark. I brought it about when I noticed people complaing about the mac player, and trying to benchmark it by going to complex sites and reporting how long it took to view the site. Some were reporting how long it took to download, etc.

At any rate, I decided we at least needed a way to get some numbers we could (fairly) accurately compare. I tried to focus on what slowed down the mac player without making it so heavy it bogs down everything you throw at it. I may have made it too heavy, in that the ideal frame rate is impossible. I reached 20.x fps with the compaq, while the g3 maxed at around 14.

I did notice an increase after installing the beta player on the mac, and performance was better under os 9, which I believe still has the older plugin. I'll have to double check.

Psx

Well for what it's worth...

DP 450Mhz 896Mb RAM OS 10.1.5
    Flash Player 6.0.29.0

High:
    35.175secs @ 8.1023fps

Medium:
    34.181 @ 8.3379

Low:
    32.594 @ 8.7439

Code:43