A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Petition for Macromedia to improve the Macintosh Flash Plugin.

Please Porfavor Give us a better player

I'm a flash developer/ animator / senior designer. I have purchase macromedia products hoping that the Mac Version of Flash would improve.... Please don't stop me from buying your products.

Thank you

i am in - talk about discrimination!!!

Sort it out - its quite saddening to see a nice website on a pc and then have it cause problems on a mac!!!!!

okay

hook me up!

It's a Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac world

It's ok gang I'm here

now something will get done.

(Mac)romedia now

Planethouse

super-senior member
    ///////com'on !.... there are only 84 members using a MAC ??? ///

sign this thing

sven

hook it up. Even with a G4 867 flash plays the same as my ol PentiumII 500. Speed it up.

HyproSolar.
    signed and awaiting progress.

Right now im trying to figure out why Flash falls apart when it hits netscape. "I wonder why thats happening?"
    If MacroMedia is all about the $ I doubt we will see improvements.
    [Edited by HyproSolar on 07-31-2002 at 02:54 PM]

Hi,

I have come across a couple of threads from Mac users that the actionscript window takes a long time to open. It's true. I have also noticed that. It's another Mac issue Macromedia may want to take care of.
    However, I have to say this MX especially is a great product.

Unfortunately, the problem isn't with the plug-in, but with the plug-in arcitecture of the Mac. It's not Macromedia's problem, but Apple's. The were suppossed to fix it with OSX but didn't. You might want to petition them.

Originally posted by epsnowden
    Unfortunately, the problem isn't with the plug-in, but with the plug-in arcitecture of the Mac. It's not Macromedia's problem, but Apple's. The were suppossed to fix it with OSX but didn't. You might want to petition them.

how can you say that? where are the facts?
    there are a lot of plugins running smooth on mac, Quicktime, QuicktimeVR, RealMedia, iPix and so on...

Never heard of a "plugin arcitecture of the mac".
    As far as i know the plugins are handled by the browser application.

The BIG problem with the flash plugin is the use of graphics.
    I read somewhere that the flash plugin uses Apple Quickdraw, which is not the fastest technology.
    In OSX it doesn't take advantage of the pdf (vector) based "quartz" graphics engine.

Even if it were the macs fault...
    there is allways one more difficult way to workaround problems.
    I think Macromedia takes the easier way.

ciao

I didn't mean to anger anyone...

I'm a mac user too. This is the answer I got from a pretty well known Flash guru when I was assisting him in a class. I use a mac and I would love for this to be wrong, It's just what I was told. I hope someone can prove me wrong.

I'm in

With Macs being known for us "graphic designer" types, its pretty sad that Macromedia can't get it together and get a working Flash plugin.

Its pretty bad when I have to check my SWFs on a PC to make sure the timing is right.

Rob Brand

Originally posted by epsnowden
    I didn't mean to anger anyone...

I'm a mac user too. This is the answer I got from a pretty well known Flash guru when I was assisting him in a class. I use a mac and I would love for this to be wrong, It's just what I was told. I hope someone can prove me wrong.
    Well in OS 9 the plugin architecture is built by netscape, it's the same for everything else.
    I don't think me2222 is angry with you, it's just it's pretty unlikely...personally i haven't seen either:
    1. any complaint about other plugin's speed/rendering issues in OS X
    2. Any comment that the plugin architecture is flawed.

If you have more evidence on this, then yes, maybe we should petition apple as well, but until i see conclusive proof...on the other hand, the tweaks MM have made to the plugin in beta releases have improved the performance. This suggests to me that their programming is at fault.
    [Edited by SJT on 08-04-2002 at 07:19 AM]

psx = new Moderator();
    Hey -
    I must agree that apple is partially to blame. I wouldn't blame the plugin architecture, seems that would be handled by your browser of choice, vs the os? I have no idea of course, that's just my best guess.

But I do believe that the graphics rendering of os x is definitely slower than that of os 9 on the same machine.

Lots of folks complaining about speed issues with os x since it's release, while in reality the system's workings are probably faster (if not alot more stable) than those of os9, but the displays aren't updating fast enough for things like resizing windows. Giving a perceived slowness.

Display rendering is so far handled by the main processor and not the graphics processor. The next version (jaguar, 10.2) is said to utilize the graphics cards in macs with 32megs of ram or more. (Hehe. I only need 30 more megs and I'll be set!)

* edit: just reread the link below - seems only 16megs is required.

Unfortunately our only option for an apple petition would be to demand 10.2 as a free upgrade, which just isn't going to happen. Older macs will run 10.2 but the quartz engine won't use the graphics card unless it's on the list of compatible cards.
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/jaguar/quartzextreme.html

Psx

I will always be on Apple system and i love flash. Please improve the player, playas.

I have bought Apple for years - but I have to admit I am getting more than a little pissed now that everything is now done primarily for the PC first and then companies thinking '...oh yeah we better do something for those people who use Macs!...' I never thought I'd see the day when I was thinking of switching over.

Please don't make me turn to the darkside... give me a faster player!

Frustrated

This speed thing has been driving me nuts for years now.
    And yes i feel like designing everything flash on a pc now.

Pissed.

10.2 IE 5.2.1 and flash plugin 6r29

I have a TiBook 667 that I just installed 10.2 on. I have to say FINALLY the flash plugin in IE plays full speed!

I know historically on OSX, Omniweb played flash the best, then IE, the Netscape(horribly).

SInce the plugin is now broken for Omniweb and I don't use Nutscrape I can't test those but for IE on OSX.2 it's finally up to speed.

I always thought something was fishy since different browsers played flash movies at different speeds. Looks like it the browsers might be a little to blame!

PLEASE make them operate identically.

Jumped the gun...

Looks like I might have gotten a little ahead of myself... Once I updated my flash plugin from v29 to v47, the latest from Macromedia, the performance went back to the way it was. I did however see good (PC type) perfomance with v29 and X10.2. Or else I was smokin something...

Damn...

But 10.2 feels "snappier" hehe :-)