A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Plasma vs. MAX

Hey Pope, would it be a breach of your beta testing contract to post a small movie so we can see what Plasma is like. Maybe it could have shadows and one or two really complex models.

Erain

I could not tell from Erain's site, whether the plug-in for 3d max would do batch exporting to SWF?

I.e., could it be used to convert 10,000 drawings [2d, dxf files] to swf format?

Does it allow making the text dynamic while exporting, or must do this fix afterwards, by hand?

Thx!
    Jennifer

Originally posted by 3DTheory.com
    ...what about transparency. I know you've played around with Plasma. Will it render objects' transparency?
    I've noticed on the Plasma site that the navigation blocks on there are transparent, but that could of been done after the fact.
    already explained the Plasma navigation here at FK. It seems like you'd have to do about the same process with Plasma.

unless... Pope? you find a way for transparency?

Re: Erain

Originally posted by dizcofly
    I could not tell from Erain's site, whether the plug-in for 3d max would do batch exporting to SWF?

I.e., could it be used to convert 10,000 drawings [2d, dxf files] to swf format?

Does it allow making the text dynamic while exporting, or must do this fix afterwards, by hand?
    batch export? not to my knowledge.

3D Professor
    yeah I saw that post before.

It's just a bit odd that it doesn't do it by itself.

If you think about it and break it down..
    The Swift 3D, 3D Max plug-in....
    It exports out each rendered scene as a SWF Frame.
    Matches up the colors, outlines, etc.
    So if an object is transparent. The color would just be different, representing something behind it.
    Not like changing the alpha.

I guess I don't understand the way the SWF rendering engines work.

3DTheory, no disrespect, but my answer may very well change.

I've logged all of 4 hours on Plasma, and I'm still "kicking the tires". So who knows... I might be updating here soon!

I'm really digging the modelling tools, the material editor (just like max!), et al... heck, I'm telling you, wait until you see Pope's review on Plasma.

curses aloud because I need more time in the day to do all the things I want to do!

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    Not a problem I will get somthing done this weekend for ya to see

Thumbs up pope

pope, as long as u are there, let us know your file sizes in dxf vs swf, etc, or whatever you are testing? perhaps the effect of using 1 axis of rotation vs 2, on your file size?
    really cool if u can find out!
    ciao,
    jenn

Thanks Pope!!

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    ok well dxf is not a web deliverable file, so depending on the amount of detail the model has will determin the file size.

SWF output is tight. Very good compression straight out of the program. I will do some comparison renders for the review but will post them this weekend. I will render the same model out of Plasma, Swift plugin and Swift Standalone and let you be the judge.

Transparency is not happening in this version. Now they have a new file format that you can import the rendered file into Flash and all the objects are symobols in the library. Now you would think they could give you the ability to simply tag an object during creation and say to make it X amount alpha for swf output and make it its own object. We will have to see what the next version brings and we still have V3 to look forward to from Swift within the next year.

Could you also give the polygon count and the amount of time your computer specs took to render the files?

Thanks again.

batch process

Hi again Pope...

I thought I saw on Swift3D site that the plug-in 'supports all functions' which are in 3d studio max or viz. I also thought I saw that one of the documented features is batch exporting, with export options saved as some kind of macro. That's what i meant. I'm going only on my reading comprehension which may be lacking on this issue. Hehe. Curious to know what happens to text in 3D files too. Remain as text fields? Dynamic text possible?

Thx! Jenn

3D Professor
    So Bill did you create any examples for us to see over the weekend?

Hoping to see the review up soon.

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    Well I beg to differ with you on the complexity of your render vs Discreets. The diffrence between the files is detail. If we look at Discreets render you notice intersecting lines and banding on the cartoon shadowing. This means more surface areas which means Larger file size. Remove the detail and you end up with a render just like yours. Now for the important news. That animation is worthless and represents nothing of production value. Lets face it You have to use hand optimization and excellent storyboarding methods to develop and deploy a quality product. Just my two cents. Regards, Bill

Thats for sure Pope, that animation is worthless. But my experiment was just technical. Like Nielson, I am concerned about usability but for me it's on the graphics side. If a animation has purpose on a site, then it should be published at the smallest file size possible.

Hey Pope,

What about those movies you promised us? If you too busy thats ok..I understand.

Hey guys... give Pope some room. He's working on giving you an all-inclusive review.

It's gonna be all-good

gerb to the rescue

back at you

damn. I try to be nice. and that's my thanks!? oh well...

Sorry gerb,

I diden't mean to affend you. I was just funning.