A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Database Help!

Hi All!

I have a question. I am going to implement a mySQL/PHP database for a client to use on a website. I was planning to use a company like Dreamhost to host the database, but it turns out he wants everything hosted on-site. He is willing to buy a server, so I suggested getting a UNIX server.

Now I'm not sure if this is the best way to go, but I definetly want to use PHP and mySQL. How difficult would it be to set up a server for the client, and be able to set up PHP and mySQL? Please help!

SteinKoBe8

That depends on your experience...

I would strongly advice you to choose OpenBSD as OS... After making it stabile, rest is a piece of cake... download PHP and MySQL, compile and install them... and live happily ever after... It would take you only few lines in apache conf files to enable PHP, and several minutes to create correct accounts on your MySQL db... rest should work perfectly...

Of course, would also advise you to install Perl, C/C++ and Java (although mainly, you get C/C++ compilers with all *nix systems, and in most, Perl comes in package too) and mod_perl, mod_c and mod_jk in Apache API, as that would help you a lot once you need a complex task performed...

hope it helps...

Is it possible to install PHP and MySQL on a server running Windows NT? How easy would this be to accomplish?

Of course...

And it's of same simplicity, or even simplier as most of that software has precompiled win32 binaries, so it's just simple install, and setting up apache...

hope it helps...