A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Preloading movie clips exported for actionscript.

Lightbulb

Question of the day:

Is it possible to appropriately preload a movie that has a large number of exported movie clips? I have approximately 500Kb of exported clips that must load before my movie advances beyond frame 0. Unfortunately, this defeats most traditional pre-loading schemas.

Does anyone know how to properly display a preloader for a movie that is largely comprised of movie clips exported for actionscript?

Thanks.

what are
    exported movie clips
    ??

largely comprised of movie clips exported for actionscript
    what doe this mean ??

load before my movie advances beyond frame 0
    1. there is no frame 0 but assuming you mean frame 1 .. why can't it go beyond frame 1 .. you can start you're main movie whenever you want can't you .. Maybe I'm missing the point but please explain why it can't go beyond frame 0 ??

ok tell me and I can help you more ??

Nyls

Lightbulb

So, in your library you get to assign Linkage parameters. You choose "export for actionscript", and the movie clip becomes accessable by actionscript in your movie.

Okay, that said, I have almost 10 clips that are being exported for use with my movie that equal right around 500K. So, these clips will be run before any of the others. If I uncheck "Export in first frame", the clips need to be called before they are loaded.

Perhaps I just need a way to call the clips from the preloader to assemble a stack of them to be loaded into the movie. I'm not entirely sure...

More descriptive, just let me know.

I think exporting before first frame is most of the time used for components/objects etc .. But I can't tell you the detail because I didn't take a look yet ...(will be)

Can't you load in the movies with a chainpreloader -> wich uses a loadMovie action .. this is how I always do things and it is fairly easy .. I got a nice chain-preloader object wich you give an array of movies and then he loads them in one by one .. thus keeping you're mainmovie small and loading in what you need ! ... I can send it later on just let me know ..also I will explore the methods of linkage some more on monday .. and maybe know ,more then

ok laterz

Nyls

Or how about this:

Uncheck "load in first frame"

Preloader in scene one.

Scene two is a single frame instance of everything I'm going to call every exported instance.

Preloader goes to scene 3 (start) once loading is complete.

Works! Maybe it's just some silly hack, but it seems to work. Thanks for the help.

nope, this is the normal way to do it ...

gr. Nyls