A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Quick Question on FrameRate

Does a fast frame rate make for smoother motion? If so, does a faster frame rate burden slower PCs? Finally, if both of these are true, what is a happy medium for frame rate? Thanks!

Flashaholic
    Yes, I have found that a fast frame rate really plays slower on slower PCs. My PC plays the frame rate justa bit slower than what it should be. I showed my bud my site on his comp, which is next to a POS, and he got like 10 frames per second, and probably less. So i think it mainly has to do with the size of the movie and the speed of the users computer (and of course, ultamitely, the servers speed on the d/l.)

Yeah, that's what I figured. I was hoping to push 32 FPS but i guess that's asking too much. Bandwith is no problem as our "captive audience" is on a "big pipe" but some people only have P3s (400 Mhz).

So, to those looking, what is a good frame rate to use for wide audience? Should I stick with the default (15, I believe it is)?

The human eye cannot percieve more then 24 fps

Frames per second in swf format is relative not actual.
    It's more of a frame rate speed limit then an actual speed.
    Faster running movies will just run at whatever rate the computer can handle.

12-16 fps is the standard range.
    Personally I like 16 fps the movement isn't as jerky.

However if I'm not running text animation I'll set it at 12 or lower because I don't need the extra frames. usually the slower the frame rate (In My Humble Opinion) gices sharper detail to the images/text)

Tks, Frets! Well, drat...hehe. Is 16 FPS noticeable over 15 FPS? Seems like a small diff. And if I go to 18 or 20, then the PC will determine if it actually plays at that speed, right?

Flashaholic
    Yes, the PC will only play at what it can handle.

Tks guys!

Not always.
    If you have a small swf with a streamed signal that you load movie into another that is already downloaded and properly preloaded. you can fix the rate of the movie to stay at a specific frame rate.

The sound thread covers that rather well.
    Look at Cadences fotter and follow the trail.