A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [

Hi pwihms,

I think there's a general concensus in this forum that supports this idea/project. I too am interested and willing to assist.

I agree with Bret that a 'plan' is required to help facilitate the development of the application. What needs to be determined (as Bret has already outlined) is the basic idea and concept that is expected from the game, how the child will interact with it and what rewards the game will provide back to the child. The rewards are two fold, 1. feedback to the child for a job welldone that will provide the encouragement and stimulus required to keep going and 2. advanced learning for the child (which will mostly go unnoticed by the child)

pwihms: If I may make a suggestion - as you are already a teacher I'm assuming that you would know of some games that are played within the classroom that already does what is expected from the game. Could the forum then construct a game based on the games already played in the classroom? From this it would be possible to also develop games for the various age groups that you are already familiar with.

a_non_amous: your abc game is very good. It took me a short moment to figure out how to play. I think the game is well laid out but lacks a challenge (unless I missed it which is entirely likely). I thought the inclusion of the sounded out letter is excellent and the worm that moves around to eat each letter is great. I was kind of expecting something to happen once all of the letters had been done instead of starting at the beginning again (could be what I missed??).

With regards to the sound files: there has to be a number of forum members that have a microphone attached to their computer. Would it not be easy then to simply record the letters of the alphabet using the microphone? Does a member of the forum know of anyone that has a 'voice' that would be prepared to assist in this? ie. clear, easy to listen to and 'warming'? (features I think are important). Could there be some method that can be employed to allow for cultural differences in the sounds of the voice and accents? (perhaps a later feature??)

Whatever the outcome of the game design, I am at everyone's disposal for the development of this game/s. My area of expertise is programming (totalling 20 years) so if I can be of assistance here then please let me know.

Well that's it from me at this moment.

Cheers,
    Ed

I'd be willing to help.

I'd be willing to help! Currently I am in Junior High, so I could help test or whatever. I especially like making preprogrammed animations, I also have a friend that I imagine would like to help (he's not in the forums though)

Whatever works for you should work for me.

Great responses and ideas! I will be not available from June 28th to July 7th, but everyone feel free to keep plugging away. I can see everyone here has a clear focus of how this should be approached.

As far as games that apply to the ABCs with in the classroom, the ones that are used in class I can't really see being made into a game on the computer.

A couple of suggestions for a game:
    1. Multi level. Floating letters on a space background. The name of a letter is called out and the student needs to then click on it. If correct, something good happens. The levels build to vowel sounds, consontant sounds, blends...

This could also be set up to play like a sports game. But needs to be simple, considering the age of the users, and applies to boys and girls interest. Normally, the children involved with this game would be Kindergarten (5 years) to first grade (about 6 years old).

2. Pictures that would have the beginning sound to the letter. For example, you may see a picture of a cat, dog and frog on the screen. A voice says "C". The child will need to click on the picture that applies, in this case, the cat. Stiil, there would need to be something to introdece the letters and what they are called. Levels added would be nice to provide the challenge and the increase in the child's understanding and abilities.

Since I am so new to the game development areana I would like to ask our senior forum members to decide on what they would like to do first in taking part of this.

I am able to design, create art, and if needed sound. At this point, I am not a good choice for any programing. I can also provide an educational focus.

a_non_amous, your game and sounds are great. I'm hoping that this group will take it to the next step and promote the learning of the letters, sounds and possibly identification of the sounds within simple words.

ideas

Ok lets get to work on an ABC game then.

Proposal:

Start with container movie so we can load different levels in as seperate games.
    Code:
    |CONTAINER|
    |startup screen|
    |Menu of level choices i.e. Letters sounds, Pairs, etc|
              |
              |
    |---------|-----------------|
    ABC       Pairs             etc.
    If we come up with standard background and general we could have several people working on different levels at the same time.

Loaded movies should reserve the bottom 80 or so lines for container movie menu

ABC
    we make a set of 26 letter graphics
    and 26 sounds
    set of reward sounds - Good Job - Try again
    set of maybe 3-4 reward graphics. Smilies - etc

the scripting would be fairly simple.

I Propose a movie size of 480x360

So what do we think?
    [Edited by blanius on 06-27-2002 at 09:43 AM]

I like the idea.

What's the next step and how should we proceed?

May I also suggest some musical melodies to go along with the rewards and / or the menus.

Seems fine to me!

Great! A good plan.

A suggestion... Have the first levels work on the same concept (learning the letters names, then sounds the letters make...)with a gradual build to the next concept. Possibly after three to five levels before the next concept.

Just a reminder, I won't be available until after July 7th after today. I look forward to seeing what has been developed. Thanks!

.......bump.......

bump

Originally posted by zoranvedek
    .......bump.......
    The bump is a cute idea....

Anyway I'm tied up on some paying projects but will get back to this soon.

Wink

I'm back and ready for the game development if everyone else is ready.

Zoranvedek, I'm not familiar with "bump".

I will provide some sounds for the letters with a child's voice and post it soon.

Blanius could you be able to start on the container format that you discussed earlier?

Kusco, are you interested in creating some musical melodies?

Hi pwihms,

I don't think I'm in a position to help out with melodies as I'm not really equipped for it. The only this that I can play at the moment is the guitar and I've only just started to learn that so if you want some tunes that sound very much like a sick cat then I'm happy to help out

My area is more in the programming side. I've learnt a great deal from the others during the last community project as well. If there is anything else I can help out with then by all means let me know.

I am not familiar with bump either, what is it? The only 2 things I could relate it to are a chess game or some sort of bible group at a church... So, what does it mean?

I've been well informed by a Master of 3DFA that *bump* is used to literally bump a message back to the top of the message list.

It has no other purpose except to keep the message from trickling down and getting lost under all the other messages that come in on top.

HTH

Oh, and the Master I refer to is Zoranvedek himself.

Kusco, would you be interested in the development of the programming of the game actions. How objects will come into view, the actions and reactions of the game play, scoring...etc.?

Ah.

Pwihms,

I'm more than happy to help out here.

What I would like to do in this project is to teach a few people the basics of programming 3DFA in javascript via e-mail correspondance. So in effect I won't be adding much of the code myself but rather the code will be coming from others.

What I see the most in my field of expertise is people almost literally 'running' away whenever they hear that some programming is involved. But seriously, and with no exageration, if you can make a cup of tea or coffee then you CAN program. It's very, VERY simple stuff.

My aim is to teach and pass on the knowledge that I have in programming to whoever is interested. So to that end I would like to ask if anyone has any objections to me using this approach for this project?

If no-one has any objections then could those interested in learning raise their hands. I will instruct anyone at any level be it absolute beginner to advanced. Should there be any objections without resolution or there is no interest shown then I will do the work single handed.

So folks, here is an opportunity to get some FREE tutition, contribute to your own development in 3DFA and also to the kids that this project is intended for.

What say you?

Ajcompany, what do part in this development are you interested in?

zoranvedek, I could use any help that you can provide. Let me know what you would like to do.

Thanks Kusko. I, for one, would be very interested in your tutorials.

Hand Held High..........

Originally posted by kusco
    Pwihms,

I'm more than happy to help out here.

What I would like to do in this project is to teach a few people the basics of programming 3DFA in javascript via e-mail correspondance. So in effect I won't be adding much of the code myself but rather the code will be coming from others.

What I see the most in my field of expertise is people almost literally 'running' away whenever they hear that some programming is involved. But seriously, and with no exageration, if you can make a cup of tea or coffee then you CAN program. It's very, VERY simple stuff.

My aim is to teach and pass on the knowledge that I have in programming to whoever is interested. So to that end I would like to ask if anyone has any objections to me using this approach for this project?

If no-one has any objections then could those interested in learning raise their hands. I will instruct anyone at any level be it absolute beginner to advanced. Should there be any objections without resolution or there is no interest shown then I will do the work single handed.

So folks, here is an opportunity to get some FREE tutition, contribute to your own development in 3DFA and also to the kids that this project is intended for.

What say you?

Definetely 110% interested, Javascripting drives me nuts trying to get it to work right, and you obviously have a far greater grasp on the subject than me.

-Jason
    BTW...... Good description on the 'bump', just a way to keep it from falling off the front page.......