A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: XML and PHP (thats what they used)

Am I sumthing or no?

Smile

hello everyone,
    i jus wanted to know how the people at dubit.co.uk made they site i know they used XML and PHP,, but how? and also are they any tutorials for sumthing like a multiuser chat, and how did they do their character the movement using the mouse. pleas i need help cause i wante to experiment on sumtin like that i thinkin of using ASP and Access instead of XML. but plase help me. any sort of ideas would be appreciated thanx a million

That is a pretty complex site.

Even if you use ASP and Access as a back end you will need to send information back and forth to flash. To do that you should use XML.

I don't know what aspects your are enquiring about, maybe give us a small example of what you would like to implement and I will let you know my thoughts on how it can be done.

Thanks

Luke

Am I sumthing or no?

thanx

Hey thanx for replying
    well actually tryin to make a site like that using, but the problem is how do i get the multiuser chat thing, i have no idea this would be my first attempt to create such a thing. so how do i do it got any ideas or are there any tutorials availabe that show u how to do such stuff

OK, 2 options for multiuser chat:

If it is real time then it is probably done with a socket server. See the FAQ for information about the socket servers:

http://www.tupps.com/flash/faq/xml.html

If it is done in an offline or nearline state (eg chat sessions are not instantanious) then it is probably done with a database and PHP kicking back the XML document of all the messages that the person has received.

Thanks

Luke