A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Trouble shooting Adobe Illustrator 9

Hello all:

Currently my coworker and I are experiencing problems working with AI 9.

Background: Since September 2001 I have been working with AI8 designing marketing materials for my company. Around March 2002, I was upgraded to AI9 and continued to work on AI8 files (in AI9) as well as design new materials in version 9. No problems using 9 to work on files created in 8. Normally what I do is create documents in Illustrator and save as PDF files to distribute to my coworkers. I am working with Acrobat 4.0.

The problems began between 4-6 weeks ago when I started to assign Illustrator work to my assistant. She had AI9 installed on her computer. Before working on Illustrator, she had experienced randomly occurring problems converting files (PowerPoint) to PDF, using Acrobat 5.0. Once in PDF format, pages appeared 50% smaller than actual size. She corrected this by choosing “fit to page.” Current random problem that occurs is that PDF file cuts off the border to some of her MS PowerPoint documents.

List of problems she experiences in AI9:
    1. In files she opens, content in the layers shift outside the set page border
    2. Sometimes the document opens in landscape format- when I clearly created the document in portrait!
    3. Kerning between letters appears very large, even when I set kerning to zero.
    4. Saving to PDF form AI, borders get cut off
    5. Recent problem occurs when she makes changes to AI document and goes to File > Save. She gets the following error message “Acrobat PDF file format is having difficulties”

Last week our Desktop support person reloaded Illustrator on her computer. No progress has been made. Now on my computer, in AI when I try and Save As the document, I get the same error message “Acrobat PDF file format is having difficulties,” same as my assistant.

I hope I explained this clearly. Any ideas on what could be causing the problems are greatly appreciated. I seem to think that the problems with her Acrobat 5.0 is somehow affecting AI files. But how could working on AI bring this kind of error message?

Hmmmmmm.

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks.
    CRO8

The Metamorphic Mutant Mystique_MHz's Avatar
    First of all... are you using windows or mac system?

Have you tried trashing your preference files (MAC/PC)?

Have you updated to 9.02? if not you can download it at versiontracker.com (MAC only) or from the adobe web site (MAC/PC).

Sorry about that, PC. Have not deleted my AIpref file yet. I will delete it and see if it helps.

aaaaaaahhhh!!!! hehe I had the EXACT same problem! hehe

my problem was with my file names....try selecting all, then pasting it into a new file and then save that file as an AI9 but with the filename 'test.ai'. For me it worked...and so I NEVER changed it. I asked the tech guys over at Adobe, and this is what they said:
    http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/w...170@.ef90540/5

hope that helps.
    As for your other problems:
    kerning, not sure if this'll do the trick...but prehaps you've got the Units at something other than points. To change it, go to the Preferences Menu under the Edit menu, then select 'Units & Undo'. Hope that helps for that one

PDF: by boarders do you mean that the page just cuts to whatever size is on your page? by that I mean say you've got a full A4 page, but you only have a small object in the middle of your page....when saving to PDF...does it just crop everything else BUT that object? if so...you'll need to create a white or whatever colour ground you have, rectangle but give it dimensions for the exact same size as the page. TO do that, simply click ONCE, do NOT drag...but just CLICK once on the artboard with your rectangle tool selected (M) and then put in the values...so for an A4 sheet: 21cm x 29.7cm etc etc.

Not sure about the other two...anyway hope that helps ya

chewman2k

Thanks! Let me give it a shot and see how it works. I did not realize Adobe had forums- very cool. Quark also has a forum here which has helped me a lot.

hey mate, no probs. I hope things work. if they do...then post back, if they don't...then still post back and tell us what else you've done. yeah the forums are pretty good...they respond reasonably fast too...so that's a good thing, eps if its urgent.
    Thanks for the quark one...but I don't think I'll need to be using it any time soon. I don't use Quark..but if I want a dtp program like that...I think I'd opt for Adobe's InDesign 2. I've seen it in action at an Adobe Roadshow...they showed you how to use it etc and it was mad! + they said that you need the sys resources to do it...hehe I do: 900 mb ram on a 1.5 ghz hehe

alright well, my desktop support guy loaded Acrobat 4.0 on my assistant's computer. The error message “Acrobat PDF file format is having difficulties” I explained in the beginning has not re-appeared. No clue. Maybe now that she has the same Acrobat version as me it may have did something?. . .no idea, but it seems ok or now- hopefully it will not re-appear.

Now there is a new problem. Documents I create in AI9 on my computer are done in Helvetica and HelveticaBold. When I open these documents on her PC, and do a "save as" or "save" I get the popup window:

-----------------------------------------------------
    Font Problems
    Helvetica-Bold
    Unable to create font subset. Failed to embed font.
    Protected fonts cannot be embedded.

I get this for Helvetica regular as well. I loaded Helvetica and Helvetica-Bold in .PFM format (I do not have True-Type or Type 1) on her computer and still get the same message. Whats weird is that when I open MS Word, Helvetica is a font option. . .

Any ideas on how best to proceed? Let me know if you require more info from me

Thanks.
    CRO8

Ok, I'm not totally sure about this problem...but I'm going to take it literally. I don't think you can embed protected fonts. ie, system fonts. For some reason I don't have helvetica...I thought it came standard with windows...obviously not...in any case. if you still wanted to keep that font, and you're NOT going to change the size, leading, kerning or tracking...and you KNOW the other computer has that font...then I'd do two things:

1) if you're unsure about the font being on the other computer...create outlines. Select your line of text, then go to the Type menu > Create Outlines. THis just breaks up your text, and creates the outlines of it...but it still looks the same. Do this for ALL your text...but remember...you cannot reverse this procedure...so you can't close your document, open it back up again and edit the text....if you want to do that you're going to have to create it again. Then when saving it, save it as an AI9 file, but uncheck the box that says embedd fonts.

2) if you KNOW that the other computer has the helvetica font, then just simply save, but uncheck the embed font box.

Hope that helps.

thanks chewman.

no probs...did it work?

2) if you KNOW that the other computer has the helvetica font, then just simply save, but uncheck the embed font box.
    I am going to try this bad boy. Creating outlines will be a problem since my assistant needs to edit changes.

I will let you know how it goes on Monday!

Thanks again
    CRO8

This is the response I got from the Quark forum regarding "uncheck embed font box".

You can do that, of course, and then Panose will substitute another font in it's place. A better way, where you will get exactly the same appearance, is to make all text converted to Outlines. Now you won't have the need for fonts. Make a dual text layer, one where the text is text (for your own use as a master file) then the other is converted to Outlines and you turn off the text as text layer by clicking the eye.
    There is no way I am creating an extra layer for ach layer -one for text and one for outlines. My asst cannot revise AI documents created in Outlines!

CRO8

Check for stray point within your document. They tend to cause lost of errors.

Got to:
    Edit-->> Select-->>Stray points = Illust. 9.0

Select-->> objects -->> Stray Points = Illust. 10

Good luck!!

thanks for the assistance, but what does edit > stray points do? What is a stray point?

Thanks.
    CRO8

Originally posted by CRO8
    thanks for the assistance, but what does edit > stray points do? What is a stray point?

Thanks.
    CRO8
    A stray point is created when you "accidently" click on the page with the type tool and you didn't type.

In other word, it's a "wondering" unconnected-single-bezier point.

To see what I'm talikng about... select the pen tool and click once anywhere on the page then go into outline view and you'll see a small "x" where you clicked with the pen tool. Well, you just created a stray point.

ah, yes. OK. I am familiar with stray points-had a hell of a time cleaning up someones else's documents a few months ago- they were everywhere!

Yup. familiar with that. Unforunately my document is clean. I think am going to purchase the Helvetica font and install it on my asst's computer- maybe that will do the trick. Also I am asking if our company has AI9+, someone mentioned that 9 is loaded with problems. .

I will keep you all posted.

CRO8