A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How much for this testing program?

I guess that depends upon where I am when you read this...
    Hey Folks.

I've seen tons of requests for help in what to charge for various web design projects, but I haven't seen anything for the request I have and I wanted some input.

Here's the project:

Create a program that easily allows the user to input potential test questions, the correct answer, and the possible choices. This program then writes to an external txt file and creates the test questions and answers.

Create a program that the end-user then uses that draws in these questions and answers and allows them to take the actual test. This program again writes the results to an external txt file.

Create a program that the instructor can then use to draw in the test results and tally the score for each tester.

These three programs are the basics. Each has some various features, but this is the general idea. This is my first frelance gig so I wanted some input from the pros here.

Thanks in advance.

Adam

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey Moe... serpent star's Avatar
    How much should I charge questions are impossible to answer. It is illegal for two same industry professionals to discuss pricing.

Well let me clarify then. Is this sort of program (a test creation, delivery, and scoring program) different than designing a website as far as pricing goes? I'm not looking to fix prices (I've already given my quote) I just want to know if it was reasonable.

Thanks.

Adam

President and CEO of nothing.
    Are you doing it in Flash? Using any non internet related tools to do it? I would assume there is less of a creative process going into it so you might want to cut down hours normally based on that stage in production... Overall though if you are doing it with the same software it should be slightly less then a webpage. IMHO

.aaroncrunchie

Doesn't really matter what you're developing, it should usually come down to the hours spent or estimated.

President and CEO of nothing.
    TOFD so you charge the same for an HTML page as an ASP page?

.aaroncrunchie

One day older, one day wiser rafiki55's Avatar
    Originally posted by serpent star
    How much should I charge questions are impossible to answer. It is illegal for two same industry professionals to discuss pricing.

Would it be illegal if you were to state how much YOU would charge and not discuss anything else?

Originally posted by rafiki55
    Originally posted by serpent star

Would it be illegal if you were to state how much YOU would charge and not discuss anything else?
    Actually yes. Of course it always happens on a more personal level, but professionally it is illegal, yep.

tell me, is this sellable..... OddDog's Avatar
    sounds like a triavial net type project to me.

is it for web posting or cd distribuition ??

That's just standard middleware/backend stuff. Write it up in PHP/MySQL or subcontract it out to someone else if you aren't sure how to do it. I do stuff like this all the time, but if you try to learn this as you go on your first project, it can get a bit frustrating.

Yes, I am doing it in Flash. I don't have questions about how to do it, just about whether you think it matters what is being designed, or as TOFD says, it's all programming/design so it just matters how long it will take. For example, what about web-based training design. Is designing a training module in Flash different than a web-page from a pricing standpoint? If so, what about the design of a website makes it cost more/less than web-based training, or testing, or anything else that is not a website (assuming equal time needed to develop)?

Thanks.

Adam

We use a standard rate of development per hour, multiply by the hours we assume it will take for the project and then offer a customer a flat rate. This same rate I use, whether it is for HTML, flash, ASP, animation, etc. All of our work is computer-based, and our hourly rate encompasses all of our services. This rate takes into consideration our actual costs, overhead, and skill level.
    Hope this helps.

Jay

Thanks Jay!

That's exactly waht I was wondering, since all of my experience is in designing training, testing, etc and not in actual "web-design".

Adam

No problem, Adam.
    In my experience (opions may vary) customers are most concerned about the bottom-line.
    "How much is it going to cost me?"
    Most could care less how much we charge per hour, but want to know, in the end, how deep it's going to gouge their wallet.
    So we give them a flat rate, whether we go over or under by a few hours in the end, and they know how much they are paying. Of course, in our contract I do give them an hourly rate for changes/updates that fall outside the original scope of the project and time delays that result from their deficiencies.

Oh, BTW... Always get a contract.

Jay