A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know anything about FLASH!!?

No the zooming question did not get answered...and I really dont think it will. However, I have found that on a computer with IE5.5 SP1, I can goto the browser and print. The picture is zoomed, however it's often distorted and skewed.

It's kinda weird how the post turned from everone getting mad at me to talking about broadband connections. I work for a school district in the summer (now) and nobody's at school so there are like 20 users on a T1 so it pretty much floats.

I also have a bunch of different sized dynamic textboxes that import XML. The problem there is that when then text is imported, none of the text is the same size (all supposed to be 1 pt).

Thanks for all the posts...it makes me feel popular =P

Brian Monnone
    I hear you guys! I do realize that not everyone has access to broadband. And for that I am sorry. I guess what I meant is that there ARE a lot of people who do have access but do not utilize it. Also, broadband IS getting cheaper, slowly. Honestly, I can't believe that broadband is not more prevailent. I will be though.

You know you guys could always opt for satellite. It is expensive though...BUT it is an option. Here is link that may be worth reading! This is posted February 8, 2002:

In the U.S., a total area accounting for 70 percent of the land mass and 30 percent of the population has no access to either DSL or cable broadband. For those areas where satellite service is the only game in town, users are willing to pay a premium.
    Read the rest here:
    http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/16234.html

Hey good luck! Seriously, I don't mean to sound like I am shutting you guys/gals out!

- Sigma

$30+$50+$40 = $120...I don't know how old you are, and maybe you have like 25 kids or you're living in a house thats WAYYYYYYYYYYY to big for you, but I'm only 19 makin $10 an hour and that's less than 2 days of work for me. And I dont know about you, but aside from work the internet and TV take up enough time to be worth that. So drop the AOL and extra phone line and get $40 cable access for the same amount.

I'm not being mean, I'm just being a realistic smartass.

Brian Monnone
    Wow!

- Sigma

I'm not being mean, I'm just being a realistic smartass.
    I am close to 50, thinking about future retirement money, came her as an immigrant. Since I am German and my wife is Japanese we need money to visit our countries + California has become really expensive compared to 10 years ago but our salaries have not. Then you start thinking about $20 her and $30 there and whether it's really necessary to have all that. My wife and I are just saving money.

On the subject of printing from Flash, I haven't looked into it recently, but when they introduced it in Flash 4 (actually, it came in sometime after Flash 4 was released, but before Flash 5) zooming, moving, alpha, all that stuff makes no difference, the printing job goes by what's in the library and at the start of the frame so that if you bring your clip on the stage and scale it to 200 percent it will still print as it first appears on the stage. Actionscripting it to move to a different point didn't work either, when it prints it prints where it was placed.

I once spoke to the fellow who makes Swift-Generator and he agreed that you could use Generator to make a swf that would be the same as what you had, after scaling, moving, alpha, etc, on stage then load it and then print it.

Maybe it's different now with FlashMX.

all this cell phone crap is getting out of hand. i guess if you want it you want it, but i'd hate to have one.

get a cable modem, and if you need it get a phone line and a phone... but dont waste money on cable tv...
    cable tv is a pile of crap anyways.

would you rather spend time watching reruns of saved by the bell, or go outside and experience life instead of watching it through a box?
    the only thing that could merit getting cable tv is the discovery channel, but even with that i'd rather be out doing something, or using my creativity to make something on the computer.
    sorry to take up your thread with bs, solomatrix.
    just a few things i felt obligated to say...

Hey GBolt thanks so much for actually posting something that helped me out. But don't worry big_k this thread is full of bs as far as I'm concerned. And cancer in form sure all the little things add up to something, but if you ask any financial analyist it's not the many little things, but the few BIG things that that really chew up your money. But if you have to visit family and stuff then I'm sure you have your priorities straight and I wasn't referring to you directly, just your comment.

Word up,

And now let's forget about all this. It's only because this thread was started in a strange way anyways so it continued in a strange way.

Brian Monnone
    solo, did you get my email?

- Sigma

Not sure Sigma. I emailed you before I went out last night and I didn't check my email when I got home, I just went straight to bed. And I never check it in the morning but I'll let you know during lunch.

Thanks, and keep up the posts! I started a hot topic =]

Solomatrix-
    O.K., I'm game to go back on topic for a bit... can you be more specific about what it is you're trying to do?
    I just tried a short experiment zooming and printing an photo and didn't have any trouble.
    I put the test thingy here: http://www.neteze.com/luminous/flash/zoomtest.html
    (use the buttons to scale the photo up and down)
    and the FLA here:http://www.neteze.com/luminous/flash/zoomtest.fla
    Is this anything like what you are trying to do?
    If not, then can you explain further?
    Cheers

Brian Monnone
    That works good! I downloaded it to check it out!

- Sigma

Thanks laura but I think the problem I'm having is with the fact that the controls are in one frame (swf #1) and the image to be zoomed is in another (swf #2). I'll probably end up setting up part of it on a website so you guys can take a look at it. That'll be the easiest way. I'll try to get that done tonight.

Peace

As with all things the answer is easy, if you know how!
    (but it actually is quite involved, cos of working round bugs, ahem features, of Flash printing)

I've created a demo at:
    http://www.tomodomo.net/demos/printdemo.html

It allows scaling, and supports hidden elements that print on the page, but do not appear online.

If you want the FLA file you can get it here:
    http://www.tomodomo.net/demos/printdemo.fla
    (sorry if its unclear, but i didn't have time to make it pretty!)

Hope this helps!

Again, let me put up my code and part of my project on the web so you get a clear view of exactly whats going on and why simply using _xscale and _yscale wont work (I don't think). But if you can get it to work more power to ya.

It's 4:15 (5:15 "flashkit time") now I get off work at 5 so I'll have the site up by 5:30 to be able to view the site and to download the fla's (hopefully).

Thanks again for all the help...we're approaching 500 views, that's gotta be some kind of record =]

Word
    [Edited by solomatrix on 06-26-2002 at 05:16 PM]

To zoom you have to scale, but that's not the tricky part here. The things that make it work are the mask, and the printing area on the frame marked #b. If you print the map it will always be the same size, but if you print a masked map it won't, but takes into consideration the map under the mask when choosing a size. That's why you have to use the print area 'bmovie' function to fix the scale relative to the mask, not the mask and the map.

However if you do that, Flash sometimes 'forgets' the scale of the map (the attributes), so that's why the FLA has so many heirarchies, to get round this 'feature'.

Trust me that this method will work for your problem. I've used it for serveral printing applications without issue!

Brian Monnone
    That looks good too tone001! I downloaded it to check it out as well...nice!

- Sigma

Well I'm having all sorts of trouble gettin my site up on the web and I even just tried to put up a link so everyone could just download it but it just isn't cooperating at all.

I'll try a bit later but I can't upload to the page at all so maybe I'll think of something else.

Sry

Brian Monnone
    How big is the file?