A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: SitE cHeCK AgaiN PleAZe!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back here again!!!
    Once again this is my first flash site ever, please give feedback, bad/ good/ whatever!!!!!!!!!

*Hows it fit on your screen?
    *What do you think about the color?
    *What imperfections do you see?
    *Hows the audio quality
    URL:

http://www.illskill.net

E-mail:

drew.searcy@verizon.net

Hi there

well, i like the site. i like the way it starts and
    how smoothly colors come in.

great music choice.

what i do not like:

the music-control button is blue when highlightet,
    and that is not very clear. the music control itself
    is in the big box, but doesn't really seem to work
    proply - i would suggest to do a much smaller
    music control interface, as music control is not
    as important as content of the site. maybe you
    can place it right over the button "music control"
    small and tiny...or somehow like that...

that's it from my side...have fun!

greets
    Clark Kent
    http://www.digitalminds.ch
    http://www.dplanet.ch/users/clark.kent

thax for the reply, i didnt say, but i'm still working on it, just wanted feedback from everyone about hoe it looks so far. No content is really there yet, the volume control is inactive, what programs do you use???

Configuration:

IE6
    WIN XP
    AMD 2000
    Creative Surround System 5.1
    ATI Radeon 8500
    Cable
    Flat Screen at 1280x1024

more?

greets
    Clark Kent

sorry, I should have specified more, i meant programs like swift, flash, adobe........
    just wondering what u use to create your designs

oh well...

flash5
    dreamweaver ultradev
    fireworks 4

that's the main stuff

for the rest there are some smaller utilities i
    use then and when (like audiograbber, ulead cool3d etc)

bye
    Clark Kent

_
    it took about 40 sec for the preloader to show up (56k)
    i really like the music... i would change the bg color bright blue is bad .... i like the music control although it doesnt work yet,---------------------------------------- i dont really think the animations under and below the menu are nessisary (they ugly... but other than that great first site!!

(love the text effects!)

i dont understand whats going on with my preloader, please , if you can help, it works, but it takes so long to pop up??????what am i doing wrong???????????

_
    why dont u make it simpler it sorta hurts my eyes... just text sayin "loading 00kb"

i did change it a bit, i took out the color fade, but I dont exactly know how to do what it is your saying...A little advice???

blue

ewwwwwwwww that blue has got to go, streching sites looks terrible. If you arnt going to have any grphic design then at least draw some stuffin flash it looks way to plain. You put on there ceo/president you arnt going to fool anyone that you are some corporate company when you are just some 16 year old kid doing webdesign. I would learn some photoshop start taking some photos and play around with some design, Take a look at other peoples usabiliy and start reading some books or get inspiration from something outside the web design world.

_
    im assuming that the reason why it isnt coming up is that your preloader is to large (its file size is to big)----------------------------------------------------------------------------in publish setting i would set it up to make a report and see how much space your preloader is takin up........

or could just be that your hosting sucks and is verryy veryyy slllooowww...

if u have any more problems email me at: mikecoutermarsh@yahoo.com i dont have time to go thew the forums...

First off, vivalasvegas, this is my first site. Negative comments are accepted, but not when they are abused. second, I am not a sixteen year old kid doing web design, I am 20 years old with a college education in computer engineering. I have had this business for quite some time and am quite good at what I do. I have been using flash for a month, personally, I think its good for such little experience. I dont know if you always respond to peoples site check requests in this way, but if you do, you should learn that inspiration does not come from arrogant/ negative feedback. Maybe you shouldnt give your feedback on flashkit.

Heh, well said, anyyway...

Alright here's what I like:

1. I love the way it starts, with the white blurry text and all.. nicely done.
    2. Great choice of music.
    3. Generally a nice layout.
    4. Even though grey colors are widely used, that shouldn't, in any way, effect your website... since your viewers will not be as experienced as we are (they wouldn't see as many "grey" flash sites as us). What I meant to say in that ramble is that the colors are basically nicely done except for the 'music' button.
    5. I like the button that you press and it comes up with all that 3D stuff and says "welcome to illskill". Try making it a bit more visible though because i stumbled upon it by accident.

Here's what I think you should work on:

1. Eliminate the stretching menu when the site is "loading up". Whenever you stretch anything like that in flash it really looks "cheap" (no pun intended).
    2. Also eliminate that blue in the background--or make a different shade of blue. Again, it kind of looks "cheap". Its like comparing these two cartoons ( i hope you know what i mean):
    http://www.furcen.org/~sasha/images/...n/cellscan.jpg
    http://www.commercialalert.org/smithsonian/cartoon.jpg

3. Life is all about details. Try to add little animations around the site (other than spinning 3D stuff), that aren't bulging out .. but are still noticeable in the corner of your eye.
    4. Work on your timing with the blinking text/boxes/menus/etc. When something blinks, it has to be fast, or it loses it's worth. Other things on the website should have a litte more speed as well. For example, when you go to services, the sub-menu shows up with an arrow pointing to each link (going left to right). That arrow should move faster and be a little less visible. It's also suggested that you add some simple effects to the arrow. Take photoshop and give it a white or black glow. Little things like that make stuff look great

That's about all I can think of from a first impression... which is always the most important.

It seems like you put alot of work into the website, which is great. Keep it up, since you got the creative talent. You just need to learn all the nifty little tricks and gadgets that you can use to express your creativity.

Cya.

I really appreciate the response you gave me. This isnt something I would permanantly use for the business, it really is something I made for practice, you know. I appreciate you taking the time to note all of the detail, i know that the colors were all wrong, some of this can decide on. In creating this site, I learned how to do so many other things and tried to apply it while in the process, which was hard. Once again, in the beggining stages, I was brand new to this, but I hope your here to see my next submission.
    Thanx Mr_King_Kong_Zilla

Great music choice!!!

Colours are right, background is right...

only criticism...being a very heavy font, it can be hard to read...

I suggest a similar, slightly thinner font, or slightly bigger text (maybe just stretch it vertically?) or increase the kerning

Thanx for the response,I did make a few changes in the appearance of it. If you dont mind me asking, how fast did it load on your machine? What kind of connection do you have? Did it take too long for the preloader to load up?

dubba you tee eff steven_h_2000's Avatar
    not bad bro