A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Not good! Blue screen on XP Home upon startup!

I was playing games on my sister's Dell machine just then and took the power out for the speakers while XP Home was shutting down and by accident I also switched off the power for the tower & monitor. Then when I restarted, it showed a list of options, I did "Start Windows Normally", it'll show that XP load screen then a blue screen comes up! A bloody blue screen! This is f****ng XP! You piece of crap!

The error said UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

I try Safe Mode & Last Known Good Configuration but this stupid error keeps coming up and I don't think Dell tech support is open on Sundays. Also that option screen that says if it was a power failure, just Start Windows Normally but no, I still get a blue screen!

Any ideas?

It's a P4 1.7Ghz
    128MB DDR RAM
    20GB HD

That last time I even opened up the tower was to hook my HD up to copy some stuff over for burning but that was a month & a half ago and it has been working fine since then.

Originally posted by ]v[orpheus
    it'll show that XP load screen then a blue screen comes up! A bloody blue screen! This is f****ng XP! You piece of crap!
    Haha, I usually associate 'bloody' with red, not blue...although blood can be blue when there's no oxygen..

h

Um, I get that everyonce in a while on my Dell, most times it is because of a settings problem, so then I can just do the last known good config, but a few times it has happened to me it was a power problem. The first time I ended up having to replace half my computer. The last time it happened to me I got it fixed, but I am not exactly sure how...I think it might have just been me repairing windows (when you boot from the cd, goto "Install Windows" and it should pull up a previous installation and ask if you want to install over it or repair it, select "Repair", do not select repair from the main screen, as that repair doesn't work right) it will do some funky things, but hopefully it works. It will actually act sometimes like it is installing over the previous windows installation, when it fact it is not, so if you shutdown and remove the CD it just gets pissy and keeps asking for the CD. So, just let it do whatever it wants, because of course it is a Microsoft product, and Microsoft likes to control the world.

Ussally it isn't actually a computer problem, it is a Wingdows problem, because I have been able to boot into Linux fine when stuff like that happens to me.

Hope this helps

I'll give that a go. Hope it works and screw this dumb error, the machines only 2 months old.

Originally posted by ]v[orpheus
    I'll give that a go. Hope it works and screw this dumb error, the machines only 2 months old.
    Hmm, I think mine happened when my machine was
    3 months old.

If its got UNMOUNTABLE_Boot_something something
    It possibly might have corrupted the boot sector when shutting down cause when it shuts down succesfully it writes some data to it so it knows to run the scandisk or not u no if you switch off from the wall.

Does it get through to the Windows Xp Loading bar you no the colour going back and forward in the center of the screen otherwise i'd say you've corrupted your harddrive.

CONGRATULATIONS.

COCOJUMBO

Originally posted by cocojumbo1
    If its got UNMOUNTABLE_Boot_something something
    It possibly might have corrupted the boot sector when shutting down cause when it shuts down succesfully it writes some data to it so it knows to run the scandisk or not u no if you switch off from the wall.

Does it get through to the Windows Xp Loading bar you no the colour going back and forward in the center of the screen otherwise i'd say you've corrupted your harddrive.

CONGRATULATIONS.

COCOJUMBO
    If it is the blue screen that I ussally get it starts out as "Windows has stopped loading to prevent damage to your computer, we appologize for the inconvience" (or something close) la de da..that happens after the splash screen of the Wingdows XP logo and the little green loading bar. You always know it is comming because it waits along time on that boot screen.

In a cavern, in a canyon,
    Excavating for a mine,
    Dwelt a miner, forty-niner
    And his daughter Clementine.
    Oh my darling, Clementine

Boot to the XP CD ... R ... at the prompt type in chkdsk /p ... then fixboot ... Your boot.ini probably got hosed ...

Or ... how's the other way to fix this ... oy vey - boot to the XP CD ... R ... chkdsk /r - then exit - it takes longer, but fixes this problem also ...

Man, where is Gerbs when ya need him, eh?

Originally posted by onlinegs.com
    If it is the blue screen that I ussally get it starts out as "Windows has stopped loading to prevent damage to your computer, we appologize for the inconvience" (or something close) la de da..that happens after the splash screen of the Wingdows XP logo and the little green loading bar. You always know it is comming because it waits along time on that boot screen.
    Yeah, some rubbish like that. It's the first screen I see when I power it up. Then if I select "Start Windows Normally", it shows that XP screen and you that loader tube picture at the middle, it doesn't start and then that blasted blue screen pops up. I'm running a chkdsk now.

It finished & I rebooted, got that screen again and chose "Start Windows Normally" and what do you know, it start. I'm gonna restart it again to see if it comes up or not. So far I've saved myself from a fate worse than death!

Originally posted by LanSite
    Boot to the XP CD ... R ... at the prompt type in chkdsk /p ... then fixboot ... Your boot.ini probably got hosed ...

Or ... how's the other way to fix this ... oy vey - boot to the XP CD ... R ... chkdsk /r - then exit - it takes longer, but fixes this problem also ...

Man, where is Gerbs when ya need him, eh?
    I'm still travelling... but Lannie... you just said the same thing I would say.

people, listen to lannie. she knows more than I do...

Excavating for a mine,

Originally posted by gerbick
    [small]people, listen to lannie. she knows more than I do...[/smlal]
    damn straight I do! I know how to spell 'small' ...

hahahahahahahhahahaha

why are you editing my posts Lannie?

Excavating for a mine,

why are you editing my posts Lannie?

Trying my best to make you look like a goober, G ... working, yet???

like I need help to look like a goober!?

bah. we all know I'm a goofball. hug a tree lately?

Excavating for a mine,

like I need help to look like a goober!?

bah. we all know I'm a goofball. hug a tree lately?
    lmfao you goober

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

WIndows XP was unable to gain access to the volume containing boot files. If you see this Stop message while attempting to upgrade a system to Windows XP, verify that you have compatible drivers for the disk controller, and check teh drive cabling to make sure it is configured properly. If you're using ATA-66 or ATA-100 drivers, make sure you have an 80-connector cable, not a standard 40-connector IDE cable. In some cases, this error will spontaneously correct itself after you restart your system.

OR

You could have a problem with your boot.ini file no longer pointing to the correct partitions. Start your system with the XP CD, long on to the Recovery Console, and use the Bootcfg command to scan for availbable Windows installations and repair the boot.ini file automatically.

Thats what my trusty XP book says about the error. I have no clue.

Thanks for the help everyone!
    Somehow it was a reinstallation CD of XP Home my sister got from Dell and I just popped that in after changing the BIOS setting and ran chkdsk. It did fix it, which IMO is strange as that was just checking the HD but I don't care it works now without the darn blue screen after I shut it down twice and started it again.