A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: any guitar players?

FK Doctor of Love
    Originally posted by gerbick
    what's up fataljay... LOOOONG time, no see!

I play.

terribly.

not much, just getting ready to resume classes in the fall... and playing as much golf and playing as much guitar as i can fit in

Fatal, here's the list of Howie Stuff I got:

Sorry So Sorry
    Slow Down
    She Says
    Secret (live)
    Sail Away (live)
    Rainwater (live)
    Morning After
    More You Understand (live)
    Lick My Lips (live)
    Kristina (live)
    I Do
    Help (live)
    Ghost
    Everything Else (live)
    Buzzing (live)
    Bunnies (live)
    Babylon (live)
    Africa (live)

And another VERY GOOD Cover:
    Hide Your Love Away (live cover of The Beatles Classic with Dispatch)

I've seen him live twice. He's from Maine, and I'm from Mass, so he's played here a few times.

I'll definately download some of those songs.

FK Doctor of Love
    Originally posted by DigitalOne
    Fatal, here's the list of Howie Stuff I got:

Sorry So Sorry
    Slow Down
    She Says
    Secret (live)
    Sail Away (live)
    Rainwater (live)
    Morning After
    More You Understand (live)
    Lick My Lips (live)
    Kristina (live)
    I Do
    Help (live)
    Ghost
    Everything Else (live)
    Buzzing (live)
    Bunnies (live)
    Babylon (live)
    Africa (live)

And another VERY GOOD Cover:
    Hide Your Love Away (live cover of The Beatles Classic with Dispatch)

I've seen him live twice. He's from Maine, and I'm from Mass, so he's played here a few times.

I'll definately download some of those songs.
    yea... hide your love away is a great cover too...

get "after you" (original) and try to get "nude"... it's his newest original...

also, get him doing "black" by pearl jam and "only the good die young" by billy joel

his sophomore album should be incredible...

oh yea, i don't know if you have a live version of "ghost" or not... but try to find a good one... he does an outro called the "beams of light" outro and it's pretty sweet... he changes it up slightly from show to show... i bet he played it at one of the shows you saw live (unless it was really early in his touring)

I'm downloading all of those right now.

Gottta love file-sharing!

FK Doctor of Love
    lol, keep having stuff to add

get "madrigals" also... try to get a new version... like within the last 2 months... done live...

you can also get a version of him and john mayer doing "madrigals" together at http://www.sixfeetsmall.com i think...

oh yea, get "sweet" too, done live, and recent

fatal--hope you read mg's post...much more than I could have helped you; as I said..it came real easy to me, he explained it well though

How often do you play? When i'm sitting at my computer, I'm usually playing as well (as I am now).

h

FK Doctor of Love
    and "girl next door"... one of my faves but he won't play it in concert anymore... it's one of his really early songs

and hocky... i read it over twice... it was a really good post... i try to get in at least an hour every day if i can... sometimes i'll just be sitting at home all day and have the guitar in my hands the whole time just playing...

I hear ya' man. My habit of playing while I'm sitting at my computer has improved me greatly.

Do you plan on playing lead or rhythm guitar?

h

FK Doctor of Love
    right now i'm just planning on playing some open mic's and stuff around here when i get some songs under my belt... other than that i don't know... one of my roommates for next year is very good and is recording a demo of his music this summer (in fact, i think he's in the studio right now)...

he's a huge howie fan also... he did a cover of "more you understand" for a howie tribute cd that http://www.howieday.com put together

You working more on chord progressions, or scales?

Can you read/write music or tabs?

h

FK Doctor of Love
    Originally posted by hockyfan
    You working more on chord progressions, or scales?

Can you read/write music/tabs?

h
    i'm working more on chord progressions... occasionally i try some scales... most of my info i get from http://www.cyberfret.com

i can read music for piano but not guitar...

and i can read and write tablature

all this jargon...

all I've ever said is that i play music

mg33

FK Doctor of Love
    Originally posted by mg33
    all this jargon...

all I've ever said is that i play music

mg33
    oh yea mg... i played trombone in junior high too..

in fact, i think i still have it... i may have to break that out too

I played piano and never liked it--fell in love with guitar though. I can read simple guitar music, cannot right it though. But I know all the notes, chords, etc. for the guitar. Tabs i'm good with too, writing and reading, and was the way I learned most of what I know (being self-taught).

h

i like to play, i have a taylor acoustic, a yamaha classical and a 'BBking' electric with a little laney valve amp.

i play 90% blues and dabble a bit in jazz but i also like to play a variety of other stuff... tom waits, radiohead, elvis costello, etc, some poppier stuff too... i'm digging john mayer's playing right now and listening to some howie day, who i had never heard of until 5 minutes ago.

i like the playing of many guitarists, BB king, john hammond, john fruscanti, dave matthews, etc etc too many to pick favourites.

i've been playing for 7 years but it's just a hobby, it really is meditative i find, i don't think i would like the pressure of trying to make a living out of it! I've played a few gigs as favours (played in front of 1200 people once)and i used to be in a blues band, but i've been moving around for the last year and only have my digital 8 track for company at the moment Playing guitar really fits into my way of thinking, which is visually and in patterns. I play chess like that, thinking in terms of patterns and movement.. the guitar is a lot like that i find, different scale patterns and arpeggios, i find i can see them all over the fret board now, it becomes second nature if you stick with it.

when i started to learn i went to a teacher who was useless but persisted and after 4 different ones ended up meeting a great guy and learnt so much from him. Though i knew i wasn't going to be serious about playing i'm the kind of guy who gets into something if i'm going to get into something, so i learnt music theory and sat down and drew out scale patterns, etc all the stuff you're supposed to do

i didn't bother learning to read music, though i ended up being able to, i just think that in this day and age when you can just pop a cd into player and listen to the music and hear the tonality and the nuances there's just not the need for a guitarist to have the sheet music in front of him. I find that playing other people's music, especially music i have a connection with, is a great way to learn.

i write my own stuff when the mood takes me (blues is a great way of expresing yourself!) but i've never been presumptuous enough to think that other people would want to listen to it!

at the moment i'm listening to a lot of stuff by tal farlow and kenny burrell.... sigh, one day

Hey guys,

I play also,just rhythm though, no lead. I tought myself about 11 years ago. Got caught up playing in a Spanish Band for about 6 years now, but just recently left it to pursue other things. My main interest is singing though, I love it, it relaxes me. My biggest inspiration in music has to be U2 but I do enjoy all types of music.

I feel my feelings are channeled very well through music, be it listening or playing. I write my own songs, and enjoy it very much, and is a great relaxation and an alternative to running in these hot summer days.

h

Originally posted by aversion
    ...john fruscanti...
    Oooww! I'm impressed! But also confused as no one has yet mentioned Jimi Hendrix. Tut tut children... I know he is often over hyped, but you must agree he still remains as one of the greatest guitarists ever.

I play guitar, drums, bass (double and electric), program synths/computer and sing I've been doing all this off and on for... well.. since I can remember really.

The whole thing about playing and singing... Its just practice... its a bit like playing the drums, you have to make your hands and feet do different things at different times, while still concentrating on whats coming up next etc...

Its confusing and frustrating at first, but keep at it... All it takes is time.

Aversion: Have you ever been to Amsterdam? If so have you ever been to the Borbon Street Cafe? Its the greatest place, you get up and play a tune (just jam really) with people you don't know, then they give you free beer... hurray!

Its all blues/Jazz stuff... very cool though.

Will stop now as my post is turing into Mg33 length

I play the drums rather well.

be a man, play the bass