A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Japanese Cuisine

Unhappy

Hey all,

Now that I've got a new roommate, and we've been checking out most of the Japanese restaurants in the area, we've both got a great desire to learn how to make the food.

So, to any budding iron chefs or amateur chef d'ouvre, I was wondering if some of you lot might have any good suggestions for Japanese cookbooks, home recipies, where the best places to buy supplies are, etc.

I'd especially love to hear from some of our Japanese members - if you've got a particularly good recipie, I might invite you over to share in the meal.

The biggest thing I've made is a stir fry. Yuo can get a free Ken Hom cook book with a wok where I live. Oh wait! The internet! Bound to have some quality recipes on it somewhere

we need a good Miso soup recipe actually

Im sure there are many online but if any members here have any good links or tried and tested recipes would be much appreciated !

ALso Im still looking for a good book on making sushi and seaweed salads

a

FK's resident Kungfu Master
    that depends on what sort of Japanese cuisine u wanna cook CNO... there's the DONBURI (rice dishes) NABE (cook as you eat dishes) or the SASHIMI (raw meat) heaps other i just can't list them all

chris is right though u should be able to find them real easy on the net...

Hi,

There is a noodle bar just down the road from where I work (I eat there way too much ), they have some recipes on their website at http://www.wagamama.com/eating/index.htm (click the cook link )

hehehe nice link... just FYI, wagamama means selfish

hehehe i'd never share my yaki soba

Originally posted by catbert303
    Hi,

There is a noodle bar just down the road from where I work (I eat there way too much ), they have some recipes on their website at http://www.wagamama.com/eating/index.htm (click the cook link )
    ahhh thanks for that

Me and Chris need to take a trip to Chinatown and buy some supplies real soon

anyone here tried cold sake ?? its veeerrrrryy nice !!!

a

Stop, you're making me hungry and I have a used take out box just sitting here waiting to be taken back for a 10% discount... must resist noodles...

I'd recommend trying to recreate some of the juices they have on the website too. Raw Juice is good

hmmmmmm... sushi eh? i'd leave the raw fish to the professionals. read a horror story about some guy eating his own sushi he made in reader's digest when i was 12. didn't end pretty. nope.

okonomiyaki is pretty easy to make. it's like a pancake with extra goodness. flour, eggs, water, veggies, meat, that's all really. only you'd have to get specially is the sauce (you must have the sauce!).

don't know about any specialty food stores in the city area, but when i went to visit out there last, people i stayed with took me out mitsuwa/yaohan (japanese strip mall) which is out in jersey i think, but it didn't take too long to get there. they also have one in chi-town for all you midwesterners out there (REPRESENT!).

i'll ask my dad sometime what dishes he thinks americans might manage not to desecrate :)

FK's Official A&A Addict
    you can make sushi if you wanted to only don't make the sushi that uses the poisonous fish there are special ways to cut them up. try to stick to salmon and tuna.

is oriental ok too or does it have to be japanese... i know loadsa chinese and thai dishes the only japanes dishes i know to prepare are sashimi, sushi and rice

tempura!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    yummy...

I went to the Morimoto's Restaurant thing(the iron chef guy)

it was ok, but weird
    but at least it was a change

Originally posted by Aria
    Well, I bought some books of of Amazon today, and we'll be hunting around New York for things like Miso bowls and such come this weekend, so perhaps the next A&A contest will be a bento box contest.

Thanks for the great link, Cat! I want one of the posters.

Aria says thanks too - and promises some pictures of our first attempts at cooking sushi.

want a recipe for raw horse meat dish? *im serious*

Average FK board member
    gyuu~~ *lurk lurk*

hey i never knew there was a wagamama in sydney
    must check it out

tepenyaki is the most delicious japanesse dish.....

Originally posted by CNO

Aria says thanks too - and promises some pictures of our first attempts at cooking sushi.
    yep I will

I should have taken some pics earlier tonight actually when Chris was helping me with my 'plastic' omelette .... which he ate afterwards cos he didnt want me to feel bad about it

I grabbed one of the plastic spatulas unfortunately during cooking and used it to toss it over ...errrr... you can imagine the rest lol

Anyway Chris is still alive ... I ll take pics when we get started with the sushi !!

a

Originally posted by CNO

Thanks for the great link, Cat! I want one of the posters.
    I want a "Way of the noodle" book and a ramen bowl, mmm ramen

Good luck with the sushi

Originally posted by Aria
    Originally posted by catbert303
    Hi,

ahhh thanks for that

anyone here tried cold sake ?? its veeerrrrryy nice !!!

a
    Its better warm. I love warm sake.

FK's Official A&A Addict
    why drink it cold it's not beer you know