A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Japanese Cuisine

um... not to butt in, cause I havn't posted in forever... but... why is there a cat in the japanese cuisine forum?

we posted the cat pics/story in the CL as well

but if anyone has any sushi for cats recipes feel free to post them here

a

FK's Official A&A Addict
    isn't cat a delicatesse in japan i know it is in korea

Originally posted by Aria
    we need a good Miso soup recipe actually

a
    How about this one

Miso soup recipe (serves 4)

1 leek washed and very thinly sliced
    225g (8oz) tofu, cut into small cubes
    850ml (1+1/2 pints) chicken stock
    3 tablespoons red miso (soya paste)

Divide the tofu and leek into bowls for each person.
    Heat the stock in a saucepan until boiling. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer, ladle a small amount of the hot stock into a bowl and into this add the red miso, whisk to combine. now pour this mixture back into the rest of the stock through a fine sieve, continue to gently heat but don't allow to boil again.
    Ladle stock over the tofu and leek in each bowl and serve.

Yum

Originally posted by catbert303
    we need a good Miso soup recipe actually

a
    850ml (1+1/2 pints) chicken stock
    thanks but isnt the Miso soup vegetarian ??

I dont think chicken stock should be in there

I did check that first think cos Im vegetarian btw ....so i had to make sure

a

FK's resident Kungfu Master
    u're right... no chicken stock should be added... although if u wanna put a personal touch in it you can probably add shiitake mushroom in there... mushroom being the meat of vege world and all...

Bah! blame that beardy tv chef (Anthony Worral-Thompson, I think) it his recipe
    Tastes good though

Bah! blame that beardy tv chef (Anthony Worral-Thompson, I think) it his recipe
    Tastes good though
    lol what show is that ?

besides you couldnt use tofu pieces with chicken stock.... sheesh what sort of chef is that ??
    a

I think it's food and drink on bbc2.

I think it's food and drink on bbc2.
    ahhh no Naked Chef then ?

Ill go to the bbc.co.uk/food site and complain

a

I think he also does stuff like ready steady cook.

a friend of mine fitted a car stereo in Jamie Oliver's camper van, apparently he has a full fold out kitchen in the back of it

I think he also does stuff like ready steady cook.

a friend of mine fitted a car stereo in Jamie Oliver's camper van, apparently he has a full fold out kitchen in the back of it
    now thats the way to travel ...

Or do Glastonbury for that matter !!!
    a

Did anyone find any other good recipies? I went out for japanese last night and caught the cooking bug too (not literally of course ) I feel the need to cook, a gyoza recipe would be great, I love those things

Did anyone find any other good recipies? I went out for japanese last night and caught the cooking bug too (not literally of course ) I feel the need to cook, a gyoza recipe would be great, I love those things
    good to hear - we've been cooking too here as well but today its been mainly cookies

CNO is in a baking mood !! Its chocolate chip cookies for dinner and I m not complaining

We also found some cool Miso Soup mixes at a local Health Food store around here... still too hot to cook them tho :/

a

lol, I'm trying to picture him in a chef's hat and apron

we've just about had our hot weather for the summer in London so it's okay to eat mountains of Chicken Katsu curry again. The problem I have here is every recipe I find seems to need Sake and Mirin and I haven't found any supermarket that stocks either yet

Speaking of Japanese restaurants, Aria and I went to one just the other night and were seated at the sushi bar - a humbling experience indeed. I kept leaning over to Aria and whispering things like "Am I eating this right? Are they laughing at me?"

And after having received the cookbooks in the mail not too long ago, It was very intimidating to see the way these men handled their knives - I was mentally tallying the potential hospital bills for severed digits up in my head as we waited for the check to arrive.

Anyhow, we should be going to the JAS Mart sometime soon for some Japanese cooking supplies (or at very least, lots of Pocky and fish-flavored candies), so I'll be inviting all the A&A regulars over for an (un)authentic Japanese feast.

lol, I'm trying to picture him in a chef's hat and apron

try ... shorts and a Star Wars tshirt and you'll be closer

I cant believe your summer is over there already... Im not used to this heat yet but Im glad i dont have to put up with the rain either :/

I dont think i could ever get used to the English weather

a

Originally posted by CNO

Speaking of Japanese restaurants, Aria and I went to one just the other night and were seated at the sushi bar - a humbling experience indeed. I kept leaning over to Aria and whispering things like "Am I eating this right? Are they laughing at me?"

And after having received the cookbooks in the mail not too long ago, It was very intimidating to see the way these men handled their knives - I was mentally tallying the potential hospital bills for severed digits up in my head as we waited for the check to arrive.

Anyhow, we should be going to the JAS Mart sometime soon for some Japanese cooking supplies (or at very least, lots of Pocky and fish-flavored candies), so I'll be inviting all the A&A regulars over for an (un)authentic Japanese feast.

Quick plug for Satsuma in Soho, great food (and drinks) Last night I was sitting next to/opposite a japanese couple, I made a special point to order dishes that I knew came with a spoon to avoid potential eating embrassment
    I'd better stay away from those knifes I can even injure myself with potato peelers so big sharp knifes is just asking for trouble

Quick plug for Satsuma in Soho, great food (and drinks) Last night I was sitting next to/opposite a japanese couple, I made a special point to order dishes that I knew came with a spoon to avoid potential eating embrassment
    I'd better stay away from those knifes I can even injure myself with potato peelers so big sharp knifes is just asking for trouble
    we are regulars at a place here called Arirang that makes great Sushi and they play Disco music or karaoke everytime theres a Hibachi, which includes disco lights, a geisha that serves drinks, and a chef who throws his knives up in the air, shouting bansai before preparing your sushi orders

top stuff. Last time we were there we sat at the sushi bar as CNO posted and we got a pretty good view of the chef preparing and making the various sushi rolls.... very intimidating staff !

Heres the link btw ... just in case you ever find yourself in Brooklyn ...

http://www.ariranghibachi.com/

in which case you have to come over and say hi as we only live a block away

a

we are regulars at a place here called Arirang that makes great Sushi and they play Disco music or karaoke everytime theres a Hibachi, which includes disco lights, a geisha that serves drinks, and a chef who throws his knives up in the air, shouting bansai before preparing your sushi orders

top stuff. Last time we were there we sat at the sushi bar as CNO posted and we got a pretty good view of the chef preparing and making the various sushi rolls.... very intimidating staff !

Heres the link btw ... just in case you ever find yourself in Brooklyn ...

http://www.ariranghibachi.com/

in which case you have to come over and say hi as we only live a block away

a
    Looks good stuff, do you think we could get 20 people together from A+A to go for the Emperor's Package