A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Japanese Cuisine

Swift Obsessed
    I was searching for some postings on Session IDs and ASP... imagine my surprise in finding this thread

I scanned through the posts and still not sure if any recipes actually got posted There were a lot of posts, I might have missed them... If anyone really wants some, I can email a few. Specific requests?

Regards,
    Kris

Takamatsu, Japan

Originally posted by Savant
    If anyone really wants some, I can email a few. Specific requests?

Regards,
    Kris
    Anything you've got and you enjoy, Kris.
    Aria and I are in the experimental cooking stage now (finally found a really good Asian supermarket not in Manhattan that we should be visiting this weekend), and it'd be good to go with a list in hand so we can stock up on supplies.

hi Kris

by all means feel free to contribute some recipes here

We are going to start making our won Miso soup but we have also been checking cookbooks about preparing rice. Is it best to use white wine vinegar or plum vinegar for sushi rice ?

a

Mini Cook book

Okay I have some more winning recipes. (I did make and eat those previous recipes and only 1 photo came out of the Okonomiyaki while the others were way to dark.)

Japanese Burittos

1 30 ounce can of small red Beans
    1 1/2 teaspoon pepper
    3/4 stick buter
    1/4 teaspoon parprika
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 cup fried squid seasoned with soy or teriyaki and cut into small pieces.
    1 1/2 cups quiick-cooking rice
    1 1/2 cup water
    1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
    1/2 Chinese Cabbage shreded or regualr Cabbage or Lettice or Spinich if you prefer- All to taste... Although if you are making this recipe it is doubtful that you have good taste.
    4-6 Large Tortillas- Sometimes called Buritto size other times just 12-14" tortillas.

1.In a saucepan pour in the beans and turn heat to medium.

2. Add pepper, 1/2 of the butter ,parprika, and garlic powder.

3. When the beans begin to boil take a fork and start mashing them against the sides of the pan. Stir constantly. In about 20 minutes the beans will be the consitancy of refried beans.

4. Prepare the rice in a seperate pan using the rest of the butter and 1/4 teaspoon of garlic salt.

5. Fry the Squid if it is not fried yet. Warning Squid is dificult to prepare if you purchase whole squid as it has to be de-inked, skinned, and washed many times for it not to taste nasty.

6. Chop and shred the green vegtable if you have not already. Lay out the Tortilla. On a plate.

7. Spoon out equal portions of beans and rice into the middle of the tortilla. Also add a portion of squid and chopped green vegitable.

8. Now fold the Bottom of the tortilla up and the sides in. If you have a microwave place this top up(The folded sections are down) in it and microwave at high for 15-20 seconds- or place on skillet at High for 5-10 seconds on each side starting with the bottom.

All of the ingredents here should be avialable at your local supermarket. The only hard ingredent to find in some areas is the Squid. Wait and this will be the next thing Taco Bell comes out with.

Makes 4-6 Burritos depending on the size of the tortillas. You may have left over rice. This is a highly Americanized treat but is tasty none the less if you like grilled (Non Tempora) squid that is. You can substitute out the Cabbage for lettice, Squid for beef, and add taco cheese and it makes a Good Burrito.

Teriyaki Sauce

1/2 Cup Soy.
    3 Tablespoons Suger
    1 Teaspoon ginger root- Fresh grated for best results.

Most Teriyaki recipes involve Sesame seeds if desired.

Simply mix them together. Makes 1/2 cup of the stuff enough to coat a 1 1/2 - 2 Pound Chicken.

Teriyaki Chicken

1/2 Cup Teriyaki
    1 Chicken cut into servable pieces.
    3 Tablespoons Sesame Seeds- Optional.

1. Preheat oven to 375
    2. Place Chicken in baking Dish. Pour Teriyaki sauce over it. Bake for 45 Minutes. Sprinkle with Sesame seeds if desired. You need to brush on more sauce every 15 minutes during the cooking time.

Serves 4-6

Chawan Mushi

4 Egs
    6 heat resitant cups.
    3 Cups Chicken broth or Clear soup.
    1 1/2 teaspoon soy Sauce
    6 Small shrimp peeled and deveined. Can substitute beef or boiled chicken pieces if you so desire.
    6 ****ake Mushrooms softened in water you can substitute porrtabella mushrooms halves or quarters if ****ake Mushrooms are unavialble.
    1 Tablespoon scalions chopped.
    6 Small pieces of Lemon Peel.

1. In a Bowl beat eggs lightly and pour in broth and soy sauce. Skim the Foam.

2. Divide the Shrimp or meat and Mushrooms into 6 heat resistance cups.

3. Pour egg mixture over meat and mushrooms.

4. Garnish the cups with remaining ingredents.

5. Steam for 25 minutes if you own a steamer. If not preheat oven to 350 and place cups in apn with 1 inch boiling water and bake for 25 minutes.

Serves 6

Rice

For those who don't know already.

Equal parts rice and water.

1. Wash rice in pan with cold water. Drain with a colander.

2 Add rice and water to a pot or saucepan and bring it to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until the water is all gone (30 minutes or so for 1-2 cups longer for more)

3. Remove from heat and allow it to steam itself for 10 minutes or so.

If you wish to add cooked vegitables, such as peas to make mah-may gohan, add it at the end of step 2.

Fried Rice

1 tablespoon oil
    2 cups of pre-cooked rice cooled- see above recipe
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 cloves garlic, minced can substitute with 1-2 tablespoons garlic powder
    1/4 tbsp. soy sauce
    1 Egg Beaten.

about 1-3 cups of any combination of Vegitables and Meat you want cut into small cubes or pieces. the key is fresh vegatables

1. Heat oil in pan.

2. Pour in egg and fry like an omlet. remove and dice the egg.

3. Saute garlic, onions, meat. Pour in the Soy Sauce slowly throughout the entire cooking process.

3. Add rice, egg, and top with vegetibles and continue to pour in Soy Sauce. The rice should be golden colored to slightly brown.

4. Sprinkle with salt and peper or mor Soy Sauce if desired.

This will serve 4-6 people.

Japanese Root Beer - Okay I'm Lying its not Japanese. I just like Root Beer.

3/4 cup granulated sugar
    3/4 cup warm water
    1 liter of Seltzer Water. Vess sells these but Shasta or any other brand will work.
    1/2 teaspoon pluss root beer concentrate. Most stores carry it.

1. Simply Mix Warm Water and suger together untuil disovled then mix in root bear concentrate. Allow it to cool.

2. Dump the seltzer water into either a sealable pitcher or container that can be sealed.

3. Mix the two and seal the container.

4. Refrigerate and drink before it goes Flat.

This should make 5 cups of yummy Root Beer.

Japanese Hamburgers Again I am lying this is not Japanese at all.

1/2-1 Pound Hanburger
    1 Whole Good Sized Onion
    8 Slices of White or Wheat Bread
    4 Slices of your favorite Cheese
    8 Pickles
    1/2 Cup Chinese Cabbage Chopped can substitute American Cabage or Lettice if desired.
    4 Tablespoons Mayonase.
    Pepper and Salt to taste
    4 Tomato slices if desired.
    1/2-1/4 tablespoon oil.

1. Take the Hamburger and Smash it into a cookie sheet so that the meet is only about 1/8 inch thick. Slice into 4 paties and freeze.

2. Chop the onions into very small pieces. Place them in a very large hot frying pan coated thinnly with oil. salt and pepper the onions if desired. The entire pan should have a layer 1/2 to 3/4 of Onions.

3. Place your frozen patties on the Onions.

4. Toast your bread. Spread 1 tablespoon of mayonase on the top slice of each. Then add the Tomatoe slices, Green Vegitable, and 2 pickles and cheese on the top set of your bread. Have the bread set on serving plates.

5. Allow the Paties to cook 3 1/2 minutes each side. To flipp the paties use a sloted spoon and carefully lift the patie off the Onion bed and gently turn it to the other side making sure that it rests on the Onion Bed.

6. Remove the Patties with a good portion of Onions and place it on the bottom slice of bread of each sandwich.

7. Place tops on top of bottoms.

Makes 4 Yummy burgers.

Kyuri No Sunomono

2 Cucumbers
    1 teaspoon salt
    6 Onces of Frozen Crab or Imitation Crab (If you are poor) thawed.
    1/2 cup vinegar
    2 Tablespoons Sugar
    1/4 Teaspoon Soy Sauce.

1. Thinly slice the cucumbers, place in a bowl, and sprinkle with salt. Allow it to sit for 5 minuters then gently squeeze the water from the cucumbers.

2. Spilt the Crab or Imitation Crab into 4 equal portions.

3. Mix remaining ingredents to make a dresing.

4. Place the Crab and Cucumbers in a small plate or bowl and pour dressing over it. Sprinkle with Sesame seeds if desired.

Serves 4

Japanese Fried Chicken Again I'm lying to you I just like fried Chicken.

6 cups cooking oil.
    2/3 cups flour
    1 tablespoon salt
    2 tablespoons regular pepper
    1 tablespoon red pepper
    2 teaspoons paprika
    3 Eggs
    1 Chicken cut into pieces.
    1/4 Cup Beer if desired.

1. In a very deep and Wide Pan or deep fryer heat the Oil to medium heat. I find that it is 5 or 6 on my range.

2. In a large shallow bowl mix the the ingredents minus the eggs.

3. Break and beat the eggs in another bowl. Add a bit of Beer if desired to the mixture. Beer is Yummy

4. Check your oil heat by droping some of the floor mixture into the Oil. If the Oil bubles around it and it floats it is hot enough.

5. Dip the Chicken in the Eggs then roll in the floor solution and add gently into the Pan- be careful so you don't get burnt.

6. Cook the Chicken for 10 minutes and then lower the heat to 4 or 5 and fry for 20-25 more minutes- Until Golden Brown. It is important that you cook the Chicken completly or else you will get sick.

7. With Long Tongs remove the Chicken to a Wire Rack or Plate with Paper Towels and allow to cool.

Serves 4-8

Tempora Calamori/Vegatables/Anything you want

1 lb cleaned Squid, cut up into rings if you want or Vegatables or pretty much anthing you want.
    1 Cup Floor
    2 Eggs beaten
    1/4 Cup Beer if desired
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1/4 Tablespoon salt.
    oil (for frying)

1 First Mix the Floor, Paprika , and salt. Coat the Squid or vegtables with it, shake them out to get rid of any excess.

2 Then dip them into a mixture of the eggs and Beer mixture.

3 Up to this point ebverything may be done in advance, and the squid or vegitables can be refrigerated for a couple of hours, until you are ready to fry them.

5 Heat the oil (the secret to crispy Tempora is hot, hot oil, just below the smoking point.) Fry in batches for about 1 minute, or until they are golden.

6 Remove and drain on paper towels.

Yummy Tempora...

Clear Soup- O-sumashi
    3 Cups water
    1 Teaspoon of dashinomoto
    1/2 Teaspoon salt
    1/2 Teaspoon Soy Sauce
    4 Mushroom Slices for garnish
    4 Green Onion Slices for Garnish

1. Boil Water in a small pot.

2. Add dashinomoto, salt, and Soy Sauce.

3. remove from heat and place in bowls and garnish.

Egg Drop Soup

1 Egg
    2 Tablespoons scalions or Green Onions. Finely Chopped.
    3 cups Clear soup ungarnished (see above recipe)

1. Beet Eggs and Scallions/Onions together in small bowl.

2. Bring Soup to a boil.

3. Swirl in egg mixture.

4. Remove soup to bowls.

Serves 4

Kabobs- Kushiyaki

1/4 cup Teriyaki (See above recipe)
    1 Pound of Vegetibles (Mushrooms, Cucumbers, Pinaples, Small Tomatoes, ECT)
    1 Pound of Meet (Cubed Steak slices, Chicken slices, Shrimp, ECT)
    12 Skewers

1. Either start a charcole or gas grill or set Oven to Broil.

2. Clean and cut the vegies and meet.

3. Place Meet Alternating between meet and vegitable and fruit (Pinapple).

4. Dip into Sauce and Broil each skewer making sure to pour a bit of sauce over it during the cooking process. Turn often you should cook for 8-10 Minutes.

5. Dump remaining sauce over Skewers and sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.

6. Serve with rice.

Serves 4-6

One last one...

Horesnso

1 Pound of Spinach
    2 to 4 Teaspoons of Soy Sauce
    3 Tablespoons Sesame seeds.

1. Wash the Spinach well and cook in a steamer or place it in a pan with 1/2 cup of water for 3 minutes. Do not overcook.

2. Drain spinach and and Place in Ice wate rto stop the cooking process. Squeeze out the water with your hands.

3. Cut the Spinach into 1-2" pieces and serve in 4 bowls.

Serves 4.

I almost forgott... With the tempura recipe replace the beer with water if you don't want beer in it.

Also for the clear soup you can substitute chicken broth for dashimoto.

How to cook squid- I call it fried in the buritto recipe but it is more acuratly called grilled.

1 pound Squid, cleaned and cut into rings or strips
    1/2 cup Teryaki
    1 tablespoon oil to coat pan
    Juice of 2 lemons

1. Clean, Skin, and De-Ink the Squid. Clean the squid by placing it in a bowl of Cold Water. Add some lemon Juice. Rinse. Repeate 3 to 6 times. Cut the squid into either rings or strips.

2. marinate the squid in half the Teriyaki 1 hour.

3. Grill the squid until it turns dark brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side, depending on the heat, and then turn it over. Baste with Teriyaki throughout process.

Eat it with rice and vegtables or plain if you want or put it in the Burrito recipe.

If you did not clean the squid properly the squid will indeed taste nasty.

[Edited by johnie on 08-24-2002 at 06:36 PM]

thanks Johnie - i might try the soup recipe

cheers
    a

They are opening a Japanses drive through/ Fast Food Franchise next to my house.

I got the Idea for Japanese Buritos by the fact that KFC/Pizza Hut/ Taco Bell/ Hot & Now/ Long John Silvers chain seem to buy everyone else out and combine the chains into Multi Stores- Most common Taco Bell/Piza Hut. Now if they would buy out this chain you would see Japanse Buritos or Bean Kobobs or something. I'm actually surprised we do not see Fish Burito's now or Large Pan style Mexican Pizzas- I've asked they wont do it . However in the future to draw more customers they may start coming out with such things.

I just beat them to the Punch . It sounds sick but in actuality it is pretty good.

More recipes;

Tori no kara-age

2 Bonless Skinless Chicken Breasts thawed and cut into nugets
    3 Tablespoons soy sauce
    2 Tablespoons ground ginger
    1 1/2 garlic powder
    2 tablespoons cornflour
    2 tablespoons plain flour
    vegetable oil, for deep frying
    salt and pepper to taste

1. Marinate the chicken with the soy sauce, ginger, garlic, salt and pepper for at least 1/2 hour.

2. Mix the cornflour with the plain flour. Take each nugget and roll in the flour mixture until completely coated.

3. Heat the oil and deep-fry the chicken pieces for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown.

Sushi Vinegar

1 1/2 Tablespoons rice vinegar (Substitute if need be)
    1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
    1/2 Teaspoon salt

1. Mix it all together under low heat. Heat until sugar disolves.

2. Remove to cool bowl to stop the cooking process.

It will make about 2 Tablespoons, enough vinegar to make 1 quanity of Sushi Rice or enough for about a dozen finger Sushi.

Sushi Rice

2 Tablespoons Sushi Vinegar
    1 Cup rice (You want shortgrain rice but you could substitute but it will not work quite as well)
    1 Cup cold water
    1-2 inch strip dried Kelp... (Really no substitute for this one if I find one I'll post it although I don't care for Sushi)

1. Wash rice and let it drain. Let it sit and drain for about 1/2 hour. The rice will begin to swell this way.

2. Put Rice, Kelp, and Water in a pot and bring to a boil. Remove the kelp right before it boils.

3. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

4. Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes.

5. Spoon rice into bowl with rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Spread it evenly and then cut the rice from top to bottom then from side to side.

6. Continue cutting the rice and add the Sushi Vinegar. Cut the rice the entire time until room tempature.

Makes 1 quanity of Sushi Rice enough for a dozen or so Finger Sushi, 1 or 2 uncut rolls or 4 cut rolls. Although why anyone would want Sushi is beyond me as it is nasty. I've had it on about 4 or 5 ocasions and have made it only once myself.

Wasabi is an actual plant and it comes in a tube in paste form or in powdered form- although you can grate fresh Wasabi if available or afordable. It is quite nasty, expensive, and is kinda hard to come by and is hard to handle without ruining it. If you can not find Wasabi paste you can substitute with the recipe bellow.

For sushi it is typically just squirted on top or on a side spoon or dish.

Wasabi [FAKE]

1 Tablespoon Garlic
    1/2 Cup Mayonnaise
    1/4 Cup Milk
    2 teaspoons Dill Weed
    3 teaspoons Grated Horseradish
    1 teaspoon Salt
    4 ounces Cream Cheese
    Green food coloring (optional)

1. Mix ingredients.

2. Chill for one hour.

Makes about 2 cups of dip/Sauce. Its not quite as nasty as true Wasabi and is much milder but still potent. Add more Horseradish and reduce cream cheese and Milk to increase its potencey. You however will never match real Wasabi with a dill and Western Horseradish mix. Also note that many packaged Wasabi products are Western Horseradish, Dill Weed, mixed with real Wasabi and food coloring.

If you want to roll your own sushi there are many sites dedicated to this. As I think Sushi is nasty I'll let you find them on your own (Hint Aria already posted one so it shouldn't be that hard now should it?)

Sukiyaki

1-2 lbs of rib-eye beef or Lamb
    12 Ounce block of tofu
    1 Tablespoon oil
    1 bunch of Green Onions cut to 1-2" strips
    8 ounce can of bamboo shoots (Can purchase in supermarket La-choy sells it http://www.lachoy.com/ )
    1 Cup fresh mushrooms
    1 Cup Soy Sauce
    1 1/2 Cup water
    3 Tablespoons sugar

1. Either have your butcher slice your meet very thin for you or slice it yourself very thin. Most Butchers in Supermarkets will slice it for you if you ask them to.

2. Cut Tofu up into 1 inch cubes and set aside.

3. Heat Oil in large deep pan and Suate your Meet.

4. Add Onions, Bamboo, Mushrooms. and Tofu to the pan.

5. Combine the other ingredents to make a sauce.

6. Pour it in the pan so that everything is half covered.

7. Adjust heat so that it simmers. Simmer for 10 minutes or until done.

8. Remove it from the pan and serve with rice.

Serves 4.

Japanese Taco-Bell style Been Buritos - Not Japanese but 100% American dish. Heck its not even real Mexican. But I could not resist.

6-8 Buritto Sized flour Tortillas (The Big Ones)
    1 Can of Refried Beens
    1 Package of Cheader or Taco Cheese
    1 Small Onion Sliced
    12-16 Packages of Taco Bell Sauce or you can buy it or see recipe bellow. 2 teaspoons if you use that recipe.

1. Chop Onion, Open Can of Beens, Open Cheese, ECT

2. Lay Out a Tortilla on a clean surface.

3. Spoon in 1-2 Tablespoon of Refried Beens down the center of the Tortilla. Leave plenty of room at Bottom and sides.

4. Add Sauce.

5. Sprinkle on Onions and Cheese.

6. Fold Bottom of Tortilla up and sides over. Place on a Large Microwave safe plate top (Unfolded side) up.

7. Microwave 2 Buritos at a time on high heat 30-40 Seconds.

Serves 4

Taco Bell Sauce Substitute

1 6 once can tomato paste
    3 cups water
    2 teaspoons red peper
    1 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
    2 1/2 teaspoons salt
    2 teaspoons cornstarch
    2 teaspoons vinegar
    1 tablespoon minced onion
    2 tablespoons minced jalapenos

1. Start buy mixing water and tomato paste in pan over medium heat. Mix until smooth.

2. Dump the rest the indgredents into pot and stir.

3. Bring to a boil and allow it to boil for three minutes stiring the whole time.

4. remove from heat and seal in a container and refrigerate. Will last about a month.

Makes about 3-4 cups of goodness.

Believe it or not but La Choy does have a recipe for a teriyaki hamburger on its website http://www.lachoy.com/recipe/recipes/RECteriburgs.html

and Chinese Buritos (Not as Good as my Recipe for Japanese Buritos) http://www.lachoy.com/recipe/recipes...erburrito.html

so I'm not that weird.

No wonder it was so long before we heard from you johnie - you were writing a cookbook.

a cool link with many recipes

http://www.bento.com/tf-recp.html

a