A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [

no reply from Apple

I just want an answer either way...... too much to ask?

Some kid [who calls himself 'OSX Genius'] replied to my post at http://forums.OSXfaq.com saying that autorun is not supported on OSX because awhile back there were major autorun viruses attacking Macs. He said because of these autorun viruses nearly all Mac users had, by this point, disabled autorun anyway.

Since I just bought a new Mac, and have free tech support, I'm going to call Apple this week, and ask them about it to confirm.

Metrov

Originally posted by Metrov8

Since I just bought a new Mac, and have free tech support, I'm going to call Apple this week, and ask them about it to confirm.
    Just curious if there's been any progress with the autorun OSX issue........????

Trying to solve the same problem.
    thanks....Soiree

I spoke to Apple tech support. They said they'd heard 'rumor' that autorun indeed does not exist for OSX. They suggested I search the apple tech docs, but I found nothing on the subject. After weeks of researching this, I'm convinced that autorun is not possible on OSX. If somebody can prove me wrong, please post.

thnx, metrov

Hi Metrov8!

Apple tech support said they heard "rumours" that autorun doesn't work on MacOSX !?

=)!!
    LOL!!!

...well that's a pretty good one!

I've been following your efforts here and on macosfaq.com, and to say the least people are not
    very forthcoming...or maybe nobody knows!

...and don't believe that guy who says everyone has the feature turned off since those "1998-99 viruses"...

I do a lot of Mac tech support and 90% of ordinary Mac users have the autostart feature turned on, by default, and most of them don't even know how to turn it off.

Have you checked the added features of the latest release of MacOSX (Jaguar)? maybe...

Autorun must work under MacOSX, even if it has to be done through a Unix hack!

I've got a friend who's a Mac guy and writes UNIX. He couldn't come up with a way off hand.

Jaguar might have autorun coz Jag has lots of new stuff, but I can't put a note on the CD saying, 'if you're a Mac user, make sure you have Jaguar, otherwise autorun won't work.'

It just ain't happening on OSX 10.1, and that's what I plan to tell my client.

on another subject....you know any good freeware programs for making icons for Mac?

thnx

Originally posted by Metrov8

on another subject....you know any good freeware programs for making icons for Mac?
    I literally just got Iconographer which can produce both mac and windows (.ico) icons. Haven't used it yet but it appears to be competent and I've heard it's quite useful.
    I also acquired Iconizer which is a shareware product that creates those large images out of numerous icons.

iconographer
    iconizer

.....Soiree

Thnx, Soiree, I'm going to check it out.

Hi Metrov8,

well, if your Unix friend is not sure about scripting
    directly the autorun feature, it just makes this problem
    more incredible by the minute.

nobody seems to know. and i assume that
    Jaguar doesn't solve it, because otherwise the news should have started to surface.

i just talked on the phone with one of my
    programmers who apparently made, some time ago,
    an autorun CD that worked under OSX (i have no direct proof of this).

Here are the settings he used:

-Using Toast Titanium
    -Chose Hybrid CD Mac-PC
    -Create temporary Partition (as i explained previously)
    -Mac volume is HFS-Extended
    (important for OSX recognition... i can't find this setting here with Toast 5.01 while working with an Hybrid CD setup... maybe a need for update?)
    -CD-ROM XA (multisession) -this is a Windows ISO settings apparently...
    -Mac Autostart file is designated as usual inside
    the Toast interface

--by the way, my programmer is positive that a Unix
    hack must be possible, ie: creating a customized
    config file for autorun (sorry I'm not Unix savy)

... I can't test this I'm on the run...

i found another help board where you may inquire
    about the "autorun mystery":

http://www.macosx.com

good luck and keep us informed if you find a solution...

test failed

Followed you directions and settings exactly macmarts, with the same results. I've concluded it is not a possibility with Toast at least. Now what, hire a programmer..? Now what positive spin can I give my clients? Oh well, most of them are pc based...

OS X autostart

While I won't claim to know everything there is about X, I do know that there is *NO* autostart function available in X (there may be a way to do this thru unix, but I doubt it).

When autostart was enabled in 8/9, it opened a huge hole (google for 'autostart worm' for more details).

Also, Toast 6 no longer supports the autostart function for OS 8/9. You will need a copy of Toast 5.

Being fairly new to Flash (Director/HTML background), can someone point me to a good explaination/example of levels and when/why i would use them.

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar