A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Launching External Applications

Question

I am trying to learn Flash and at the same time I have one day to decide if Flash will work for a Stand-Alone application. Can you launch external applications through Flash. Such as click on a button and have it call a pdf file which uses the mime/types to launch Acrobat reader. Or run an EXE file. Any help would be greatly um, helpful..

Thanks Doug

Wink

I've just finished a CD which is made with a flash standalone projector and have launched external files from that, but only .exe. You may be able to launch a pdf the best thinng you can do is try it.

Go in to your action scripts and select fscommand, on your right hand side theres a drop down box, select "exec" and then reference your file in the window above including the file extension

Wink

Yes it is possible to launch EXE's and PDF's from the standalone player, I have already done 2 Interactive CD's where the primary function is to view/print/save a PDF file.

This was done with the "fscommand" and "exe" but make sure to specify the the exact path for the command to follow or else it will not find the file:

x:\mydocuments\document.pdf

(You might also want to include a version of Acrobat Reader if you are sending PDFs.)

I hope this helps.

Plant you Now, Dig yah Later.
    aleXANDER.

Red face

I have had this work on an .exe with the fsCommand exec. I can not for the life of me get it to work with a pdf, I can click on the pdf from its window and it launches the reader, but not from flash.

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

On (Press)
    Get URL ("a.swf")
    End On

This command is your friend. You can launch a file with its default program (granted they have the right program on the box) by calling the file. Make sure you have the projector and the file in the same directory. You can make the file hidden if you dont want them to see it. Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.