A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: movieclip bug?

ok, I want to make a graphic blink (called blink) inside a movieclip (myMC). I made blink into a movie clip and on its timeline, 1st frame, I have a stop action and the graphic (to stop the blink), 2nd frame, no actions but has the graphic, third frame has a gotoandplay(2) but no graphic.

now on the last frame of myMC, I have --blink.gotoAndPlay(2) to start it but it doesn't work (when myMC played to its last frame). Am I doing something wrong?

Please help. Thanks.

that didn't either. any other options?

Ok got it finally, sorry about the wait. Here is what I did to make it work. in myMC in put this code:

with(blink){
    gotoAndPlay(2);
    }

tellTarget being depreciated in MX and being replaced with with is what took me a while to remember. but anyway that tells your blink MC (make sure that blink is the instance name of your MC!) to gotoAndPlay from 2. But when you have your action to gotoAndPlay(2) in your 3rd frame of blink MC it will never "play" from 3 becuase it is executing that code first. So, what I did is I extended my frame 3 to be frames 3 and 4 putting my gotoAndPlay(2) on frame 4

ok that got me somewhere. when I tried the with(blink)... it says blink doesn't exist. I did name the instance...I dont know why. the Blink mc was previously a graphic symbol and I changed it to a movieclip in its properties in the library. Does that have to do with anything?

The way flash works is that you cant directly change the timeline with in a MC with out going through its instance name. An instance name is a unique name for a copy of a MC (the beauty of flash is that it can have mulitple copies of a MC on stage and not increase file size because they are all just "instances"). As for your problem, sometimes I have problems when I convert things from graphics to MC's. I copy the frames in your current blink MC and then delete it out of the library and then recreate blink MC and paste the frames in it. Then place it on the stage in myMC and give it the instance name blink. That should work. Heck, send me your .fla and I will do it for you quickly so you can see what I mean.

I did exactly what you suggested last time but no go. Does anybody have this problem?