A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Site check, i'll try it again, maybe i'll get responses.

http://www.jcn.net/bryan

Your .02 cents plz.

[Edited by brywonder on 07-28-2002 at 06:16 PM]

instant download when I thought I was going to view online !?!?
    arrrrrgggg...pls to embed onto html sheet...

OK... I played your swf on my desktop...

none of the links happen, maybe make a psuedo page where they can go ( you know, "real content will fit here" for results to click) until you actually have something to put there...

some of the submenus overlap as they remain visible when I moused the next one,

curser tracking menu ok but no action on what seemed to be scroll arrows,

floating bubbles are kinda cool

ME: use mac OSX / G3 / dsl / IE 5.2 / glasses / coffee / oops

RelandR

What did you have to download? Do you have flash player 6? I dont know why it would be working. You click the enter button, and it doesnt open a chromless window, with the swf inside it? Let me know about this. Oh, I know what it is, OSX isnt supported with chromless windows, I need to add something to the code to have it open in its own window that MAC supports.

The menu is kinda sticky, i'm working on it. The sections that work so far are:

About Me
    -bio
    -stats
    -daily ****

Pics
    -friends (only)

The scroll button is for directions, meaning move cursor up, or down to move the menu.

Thanks for you suggestions, i'm gonna fix the window prob.

sillyMe...of course the links won't go if it's playing on my desktop with the SA player...and not in-browser !

yes I hit "enter" and automatically dnld began of swf.

must be the osx...

RelandR

Yeah, thanks you still helped me fix a problem that I need to make changes for. Check on the post once I get it straightened out. Thanks for the comments.

You can go to http://www.jcn.net/bryan/main.htm to see the same thing. But it looks crappy outside the popup window. IMO

Thanks

_
    i dont really like it at all... the splash screen needs to be fixed... those buttons are ugly, the average user probley wouldnt kno whwat they are..... i do like the pop up window!(the main site) bad navigation.. need to have all pages finished

The buttons? You mean the enter and exit buttons? Why wouldnt a user understand them? One says enter, the other says exit what is so hard about that? What would you prefer for the navigation? I've seen maybe 2-3 vertical scrolling navigations... i'm trying to keep things fresh, not do something thats been done over, and over, etc. I could have easily thown some buttons on there and been done. I'm working on the different secions, I was just wanting some basic imput about what people liked or disliked about it. I didnt post it thinking it was finished. I still have some stuff to do. But thanks for you opinion.

are you sure you dont want my whole 2 cents? .02 of 2 cents seems kind of slim.

_
    i know they say enter but they dont look like buttons.... i thought at first that they might imput boxs to log in

lol

and the navi,,, if i didnt cut off it would be better.... add a little color to

Ha.....

_
    HA HA!

So does anyone else think the navigation is stupid, confusing or hard to understand? I think its the centerpiece to the site. It was my inspiration to do a new site b/c of the idea of that type of a menu. The reason it has no color is b/c I wanted it to be semi transparent b/c when you change the bg color it makes it appear that buttons change in way aswell, and so you can see the "motion lotion" <-what I call the circles. Any other ideas that could make the menu better? I had a box around the perimiter but a friend said it would look better without it. I ageed. Or should I get rid of the menu and start over? Your .02 cents or 1 dollar bill.

thanks

Originally posted by brywonder
    Yeah, thanks you still helped me fix a problem that I need to make changes for. Check on the post once I get it straightened out. Thanks for the comments.

You can go to http://www.jcn.net/bryan/main.htm to see the same thing. But it looks crappy outside the popup window. IMO

Thanks
    Error 404......no-link (???)

try again latr

RelandR

its kinda boring, i mean i can tell the navigation script is fairly complex, but then theres just circles moving. Also, its really plain i mean nothing about it catches your eye, you know what i mean? Mabye add a bright color in, or some 3d work or something.

That last link worked for me....I got in to see it all this time...

I really like the operation of the whole deal...yes the Nav is the centerpiece of everything....realising that this is a "work-in-progress" unfinished stuff is irrelevant, and the theme is a personal site...how much content could there be anyway...

will you ever share the Fla ?

I do agree that some variation and change of shade / color would work well though and tho the circles are neat for a moment they do get redundant...

RelandR

well, i'm kinda torn on the commments. Some people just plain hate the whole idea. Others say It needs color. You can change the backround colors. that changes stuff around. Ok well some friends liked a color scheme I was originally gonna go with but I saw the way the gray kinda blended nice. I'll post a variation of the site with more color and tell me what you think. Give me a moment to make the adjustments. Check back when I have it posted.

Have you tried variations of grey just to give some change ?

"subtle" changes say on mouse-over, maybe keep the changes not too far away from grey and faded so as not to affect your original concept too much ?

Just some thoughts...over all I really like it...

I wouldn't want to get too extreme you might lose some of the effect as you stated...

GoodLuck

RelandR

Ok, heres what i've come up with. Let me know what you think? I've also fixed the menu it works a lot smoother now. The only section i've updated to go with the new color scheme is the bio section under "about me" I didnt feel like changing all of them. Let me know if you like it or if I should stick with the gray and just do some shifting around. Also, I do agree that this is a personal site. Just to tell people about myself.

Here is the newest change.

http://www.jcn.net/bryan/test/main.swf

linkAlert:
    "main.swf" gives me another dnld..."main.htm" got me to the new view

Bugs:
    Your menu floats out from under the curser, that can be annoying if your not quick on the click

there's overlap still sometimes when moved from one to another,

and if one of the spots is out and you click to bring out another without first closing each they "stack" and blend from the transperancy...
    one of the close btn's refused to work after this happened

Color change is pretty much relative to taste,
    "having" some change is good
    change to what is open...

RelandR