A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: New Intro

Hi:

I'm about 95% done with my Flash (portfolio) site (http://www.ekigroup.com), and will soon be done with the index page for the HTML version. The below intro was really made for (matches) the HTML version, but....have a look, if you will:

http://www.ekigroup.com/html/launchIntro.html

It's 150k, with no preloader, except an ifFrameLoaded().
    It should only take about 15 seconds to load on a 56k though. I'm still fine tuning some things, so your feedback is appreciated.

Also, I have been having trouble exporting the sound at 16-bit mono, without a bunch on pops and cracks. Sometimes it plays great, but most times not. Please, let me know if the loops are not playing well on your system. Also, if anyone knows how to fix this problem, I'm open to suggestions. The best play I could get was at 48-bit, but it adds about 100k to the file. Any tips, or tricks???

BTW, the link isn't active yet.

Thanks,

James
    He is risen!!!

p.s. Thanks to calpolymat for the loops.

I loved it man..At first I was thinking a little to dramatic but then you got me laughing..Nice job..The music played fine for me, no cracks, or breaks..

Only dislike was it comes in a little to loud, I had to turn my speakers down..You should adjust that in the edit mode..Take it down just a little..

<83)~ ratman
    i loved it!!!

very good and clever!

hehehe

i read the last post that it was funny

and i was waiting for a lion to jump out and start dancing

it didn't though

but it was still good!

hehe

give my site a check - http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=345995

steve rat

Mostly harmless
    It seems ironic that a movie with a narrative that flows at a snails pace is actually trying to send out the message that, in order to survive the digital jungle you have to move fast - getting, as it does, to the point a long time after most people have pressed the 'Skip Intro' button.

Sorry to be so negative but people really aren't going to hang around and see your whole movie unless you up the pace drastically.

The idea is good and yeah, you have atmosphere but this is irrelevant if you can't keep people interested.

Hey Guys, I really appreciate the feedback. I take it that no one is getting the cracking and popping I hear, so it must be on my system.

Your comments have been taken into consideration. Thanks, again, for taking the time to help me out.

James
    He is risen!!!

hmmm ... "PASSSAAAZZZAZZZ"

1 why do i have to oopen a window..cant it just happen!!!

2 im sitting at a blank screen ..how about a pre-loader..or like the other guy says ..no-one will hang around.

The sequence (yet slow as mentioned) and the meesage are really good!

Just make it more "PASSSAAAZZZAZZZ"

jon

Originally posted by jamescover
    Hey Guys, I really appreciate the feedback. I take it that no one is getting the cracking and popping I hear, so it must be on my system.

Your comments have been taken into consideration. Thanks, again, for taking the time to help me out.

James
    He is risen!!!

liked it... going reeeeeeeeel slow to say that we got to keep the pace... nice

from there, would be natural to add super fast stuff when the intro is finished sort of 'got the msg ? good, lets roll now !'

yea, there needs to be something fast paced in the intro or eltse
    1.it will be too ironic for itself
    and 2. noone will want to watch it

i do like the idea though, its a great story. just need to spice it up, maybe speed it up a tad and then have really fast stuff after the last sentence or have short bursts of fast stuff in between when the words come up, or something..

Hi Guys:

More great feedback. I have to say that the "pace" is intentional. I am considering speeding things up after the last fade out, and then returning to the jungle noises at the end, but I will have to give it some more thought.

I also have an alternative use for this intro, one for which the slow pace is much better suited. So, when I started, I had this in mind. From here, I will develop the two, in two different directions. The question is, at what point in the intro to make the break.

To the issue of a blank screen, no preloader, etc., I mentioned this in my first post. The reason is that this is just a preview, and I want to get some feedback
    before deciding what to keep and what to retain. The preloader, autopopup (like on my porfolio site), etc. will be the last to be added.

Thanks, again, for taking the time to respond.

James
    He is risen!!!

not sure that i like it...the movie contradicts it self in a way that is detrimental to the message you are trying to put across...

i was waiting for something dramatic to happen or some fast paced cut sequences but nothing and i think my brain finally died at the end of the intro.. zero re-usuabilty..

Whats the message you are trying to convey..

list some buzz words

ie..
    motion
    fast/speed/velocity

one animal that comes to mind that conveys these is the CHEETAH

i think the idea of the slow pace with fast cut sequences could work...some motion blurs lion in action or some text anything that wont send the viewer to sleep...maybes some highs and lows and end on a quiet note with your final message...

just some very quick ideas..i think it could be quite effective if thought out a bit more

any way good luck and remeber these are just my opinions,