A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [

congratulations to all posters, this thread is a wealth of knowledge.

Nice one boardroom.

I have to admit this is one of the best search engine threads I have seen up on Flash Kit. There is so much to know and it is always changing. Thanks to everyone who has shared their knowledge about this subject. Now I have also heard that Flash MX has some feature that allows search engines to see Flash content. Does anyone know anything about this?

Originally posted by gadawg
    Now I have also heard that Flash MX has some feature that allows search engines to see Flash content. Does anyone know anything about this?
    Ways round it

FROM MACROMEDIA

When can I expect to have my Macromedia Flash content included in third party search engine indexes?

Macromedia is working to support a number of search engine companies, but has not made any announcements about specific search engine support. For up-to-date information on this effort, visit the Macromedia Flash Application Developer Center, as well as individual search sites for future developments.

Hi,

L0ungeboy at the start of this thread, mentioned that:

... Optimally, you should create a new directory for each page and entitle it index.html.
    Certain engines such as Lycos and Infoseek will view each index.html as a new directory index and index it in their database accordingly (counting as a brand new site), and add to your homepages ranking by link relevance (the more indexes that link to your home page the better).

Can someone explain this bit to me as this point has been lost on me!

Jged

if we have a file in our root directory called index.htm or default.htm, we can reference it with

http://www.url_name_here.com/

if we have a directory in the root directory called 'about' and then another index.htm file in there, we can reference it using

http://www.url_name_here.com/about/

what l0ungeboy was saying is that some search engines are going to reference each one as a seperate url and thus increasing link popularity. I doubt this will work with many search engines as most of them will classify the urls as belonging to the same domain and thus not class them as external links at all.

Hope this helps

On my web site the only html i have is the splash page and the html pages with the flash embedded.

If i want search engines to index them properly what do i have to put in the splash page "index.html"

click on the link in my sig, try view source and tell me what i'm doing wrong...

I have done the "meta" name stuff but doesn't seem to work for robots.. they just can't index it for some reason.

"tough like tractor, smart like dump truck"

juxtaman, a few points:

• your keywords at the moment look like this:
      CONTENT="Juxat Presentations, multimedia, Web, Design, Toronto, Canada, Graphic, hosting, freelance, designers, quality, Flash - Shockwave - Flash, creative village, technogaga">
      You need to get rid of all the commas. What happens then is you get multiple permutations of each word. Ie. instead of having 'web' and 'design', if the comma was taken out, it would mean that these two keywords would shoot to four, you would now have 'web', 'design', 'web design', 'design web'. If all the commas were taken out, this increases yor keywords by a ridiculous amount with no penalty to your site.
    • description:
      <meta NAME="description"
      CONTENT="Toronto (Canada) based Multimedia, Web Design and Graphic Design Studio, newgency, multimedia, Web, Design, Toronto, Canada, Graphic, hosting, freelance, designers, quality, Cold Fusion, Database, ASP, SQL, e-commerce">
      Its not a description, its a list of keywords. Although this should be content rich, its what viewers using search engines will see. If it doesn't make sense, it'll be ignored by the end user.
    • You seem to be quite opposed to HTML (as shown in your presentation), this will do you no favours within search engines. As your site seems mainly composed of swf's the only thing I could suggest is adding html content to the pages and have them the same colour as the background. This is called keyword loading or content loading and I don't really reccommend it as the majority of search engines will penalise this. The best thing to do would be to create a simple html page as a splash screen with a link to a small, scaled down version of your site but with all the content in. This will be crawled over by spiders.

I hope this helps, good luck

If i keep my site the way it is using only the splash page as the html page with content (hidden or otherwise) are engines going to be able to index or will the test the links and assume they are dead because they can't see flash.

I was told that someone tried to view my site with opera and it didnt work.

In my case do you think Alt tags would help?

My main concern is not getting on any search engine.

truthfully, alt tags will do little or nothing to aid you when your site is solely built from flash.

You're gonna need HTML pages.

what is a search engine anyway?

I read that yahoo is not really a search engine as it is a web directory.

Can someone explain the subtle differences between true search engines and directories?

It can be a little confusing. For example, yahoo uses google, which you would think would be a competitor of their's. Obviously, they are in bed together.

So...what is a search engine anyway?

by the way, I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread that I started way back in May! It is a great resource thanks to all of you!

A search engine is made up of 4 main components, 1). index (database), 2). indexer (compiler), 3). spider (crawler), 4). search software (accessibility/usability software).

A directory is human-compiled index, i.e., you submit your site for review to human editors, and, if accepted, they will add it to their index.

James
    He is risen!!!

TIPS FOR Newbie Here!

Could anyone recommend a good place to start learning? (Other than this great post, of course.) Are there any links designed for beginners?

[/B]
    http://www.4webmarketing.biz/tips.htm

It works for me. If you go to a major SE like Google and type one of my targeted keyword phrases "marketing manuals" you'll see http://www.4webmarketing.biz in position one page one of 400,000 savvy web marketers.

I came across a site called SelfPromotion.com. He offers about a quarter metric ton of great information regarding how to put tags together, strategies for submitting to search engines and directories. Also, he has a handful of tools to help you do submissions in a pretty timely fashion.

And, get this, pay for his brainpower only if you want. If you pay $10 or more, you get access a few extra tools. If you stay cheap, your account closes after 4 weeks.

I highly recommend this guy.

And by the way, I'm not SelfPromotion.com.