A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Mouse over

A simple problem that I can't seem resolve. I want to display a new picture in a mouse over from each item in a menu I created. It seemed obvious from the menu properties section of 3DFA, but it either won't work or all of the menu buttons will bring up the picture. After creating a menu, how do you create mouse overs on each individual menu item to bring up a new picture?

You could use a chooser element (see the samples to learn about it, or help)

Create the chooser element, then make each view in it be the picture. Then in the mouseover of each menu element, put 'set chooser frame' or something like that and select the appropriate choice.

Hope it helps.

Hi pwihms,

Two things to check for...[list=1][*]Make sure that you do press the 'Build menu' button after making any changes. If you don't then your new effects won't be seen when you export the movie.[*]Make sure that you hide the picture again when you mouse-over another menu option. Otherwise, you'll find that the image that is last in your element list will always remain on top and effectively hide the other images (especially if they are all of the same size). Use the Mouse-leave tab for each menu option to do this with.[/list=1]hth

Now I'm getting this message:

{Image}Normal array index 2 out of range 2

Any ideas where I could have gone wrong?

nope, no ideas for that. Haven't gotten it before. Sorry

In reffernce to the error message, I don't know exactly what it means, but it only happens when you change the elements in a button. I get it all the the time, I just ignore it, as near as I have been able to tell it has no effect at all on the file or how it performs.

In theory, I assume that the buttons hot spot is set when it is first made, and the new elements may be larger or smaller than that original hot spot. Again this is just a guess and I don't know for sure.

-Jason

I also wanted to add, if you encounter this at all in the new version(3.6), you should send a bug report in about it.........

-Jason

Then that takes care of it. Everything seems to be working fine now. Thanks.