A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: NO scrolling on multiline textfield...

HELP!!! (please)

I need help. I need to make a multiline text field that does not scroll, it just stops letting you type when you have filled the text field up!

I could set the text field to limit chars, but that doesn't solve my problem, because the users will be using the return carage, and that would still allow them to type past the bottom of the text field. I just need to limit them to 20 rows, and 40 coloms of text. is there an actionscript way?

I am using flash 4, but would be willing to use 5, or MX if I need to to make this work.

Any one have any idea? Thanks!

Hi Knoj.

In MX you can use the Maximum Characters window in the Properties panel to set the character input limit.

Hope this helps.

Right, I know about the maximum Characters, Flash 4 has this as well, but I need to speciffically limit the number of lines. If the user presses return, they will have used up a line! In with the maximum characters, this does not limit the lines, only the characters... Unless MX adds this feature? If so, please let me know, and I will purchase a copy of MX right away!

Thanks for you help! Any one else have any ideas?

Sorry about that. I misread your original post regarding maximum Characters. Anyway I will keep on searching for an answer and try to get back to you ASAP.

Also I would just like to thank you for your Pop-up script. I have been trying figure out how to do that for ages. It works perfectly. You are a legend.

Hey, thanks!

I allways enjoy hearing that I have helped someone! If you are looking for some more JavaScript to Flash, you should check out my latest tutorial: http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/va...79/index.shtml

And if you find anything here: http://knoj.gu-ru.net/portfolio that you like, let me know! I will be more than happy to share my source code, or show you how it's done!

Thanks again! I will let you know if I have found a solution to my problem...

Well, I think I have found a solution that I will be able to work with...

http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...croll_text.htm I set the "message.scroll" variable to 1 with a repeating movieclip that sets "message.scroll" to 1 every frame (20 times a second for me.)

I think this will work MUCH better than my faulty JavaScript version of the line counter that counts return carages, and characters to find out how many lines there are... Thanks for your help! If you find a better solution, please let me know! Look for this to be in use at snailcard.com with in a month!

Thanks again for your help!

Thanks Konj, I will keep in touch.

Hi again.

I checked out your JAVA to FLASH tutorial. When I have more time I will certainly go more indepth with it, but I certainly can see myself using it in the near future.

So I take it that you are pretty well versed in JAVA? If you don't mind I would like to be able to contact you from time to time regarding JAVA questions if you don't mind. I have not dealt with JAVA much at all but I do plan on taking some courses in the near future.

Thanks.

I would be more than happy to hear from you any time! You are welcome to e-mail me at knoj@knoj.com

Now, on to your reference to Java... What I think you are wanting to learn is NOT Java, but JavaScript. Java was developed by Sun Microsystems for applications, and server side scripting. Because Java applets take so much time to load, many people don't use them. In addition, Java is a difficult language to learn if you have never learned any languages before.

JavaScript was developed by Netscape (with the help of Sun) and was loosely based off of Java. JavaScript is a much easier language to learn. JavaScript is a Client side scripting language, and doesn't take any noticiable loading time.

There, that is your first lesson in JavaScript! I recomend spending the money on some good books, rather than going to classes. My 2 personal favorite JavaScript books are "JavaScript Bible 4th Edition" by Danny Goodman (ISBN:0-7645-3342-8) is a great advanced book, and "Sams Teach Yourself JavaScript 1.3 in 24 Hours" (ISBN: 0-672-31407-X) is a great beginners book.

Ok, Good luck, and feel free to contact me any time you need to!