A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: video cd

Can Flash (5 or MX) play an external .mov, .avi, or .mpg? The video I'd like to play is to large to embed in Flash, it's about 56megs and Flash craps-out when I tray it so I'd like to play it externally. It's for distabution on CD so bandwidth isnt an issue.

----
    Oh, Swf Studio can do it right?
    [Edited by FlashRover on 07-16-2002 at 04:41 PM]

I wish I could answer your question, but unfortunetly, I am in the same predicament. I want to play a small .avi file from or within flash and I can not figure out how to to it or if it is even possible.

Is there anyone out there that can help us?

FlashRover

You may want to have a look at the following samples :
    http://www.lpflashex.com/dl/MovieSamplesV2.zip (160KB)

There are 5 samples in the file
    You can start test with publishing MovieMouseClick.fla or MMPMouseClick.fla to EXE which shown some more advanced functions. When looking at sources code, you can start with the 2 simple one first.

ChooseMovie.fla show how to write code that support both media playing engin LPFlashEx provided and let user (or your action script code) to choose at run time.

The two engin :
    Movie (using Window Media Player OCX) is well testing and used by our many customer. Some also send their production using LPFlashEx for Lab test in over 20 computers with different OS (95/98/Me/2K/XP) and different hardware and scored 100% pass without any error / warning. Media Player 6.4 + is needed to play movie this way. You can use the OCX detection event to prompt user to install Media Player using your included installer or use LPFlashEx download action to download installer from Microsoft. You can see this in MovieMouseClick.fla.

MMP is a newer engin which make direct call to system to let it play media with whatever codec it got so it dont depend on a specific program. For example, if the user had any program that registered it codec to playback mpg file with system, MMP should be able to play it. It also support Audio CD playback and we may act more support to it later such as sound recording. However, it is not so well tested.

If you need more info or have any questions. You are welcomed to visit our web site and email me.

To : angiedarrah
    If you are using Flash MX, small video can be played well with flash itself. You can use File->Import to import your file. If you use Flash 5, you can try the samples as well.

Thanks Justmade! I do still have Flash 5
    But thats just another reason to invest in MX. I took a quick peek at your flas and they are amazing. I have to play with them still. THANKS A MILION!!!!