A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold calling email....do you have one?

One day older, one day wiser rafiki55's Avatar
    Just about to send off emails to local realty companies trying to pitch them a site.

I was wondering if any one has emailed companies before and are willing to post what they wrote to them. I'm just trying to get an idea of a good email. It doesn't have to be related to realty, just anything in general.

THANKS A LOT!

-Robert

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey Moe... serpent star's Avatar
    never done it never will. Put on a suit and tie and hoof it over there with a business card, a brochure and a firm hand shake. Or at least a telephone call asking them for a few minutes of their time. E-mail IMHO will look cheap, inpersonal and spammy no matter how you word it.

Good luck.

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    I couldn't agree more with serpent star - if you have the opportunity to meet the people you're working for (hopefully), then take it. Make an appointment to see the decision maker of the company, get a suit/coat and tie on (thankfully, here in Brazil, suits are only for the financial sector) and get in front of them. Maybe they received the same mails you're talking about from other guys, but you're the only one who took the initiative to go in person.

Let us know how you get on.

okay, so it sounds like a bad idea, but I have my own reasons for doing it (I'm not going to go into them)

Is there anyone who can supply me with a sample email or letter?

Thanks in advance.

tell me, is this sellable..... OddDog's Avatar
    bad idea, especially for getting in touch with LOCAL area companies.

i think it depends on who you're trying to attract.

I know i'd boot a guy out of my office in a heartbeat if he just showed up looking for work. email is far less invasive, and lets a potential client qualify the lead by checking out the portfolio and such.

i don't *cold-call* email businesses looking for me to redesign my site, but i certainly use such an email to promote my availability for contract work to area design/dev shops.

Originally posted by erova
    i think it depends on who you're trying to attract.

...email is far less invasive...
    ...and far easier than even a mail shot to throw in the trash.

I'm not recommending that this guy (or whoever) just appears on the doorstep - but getting an appointment and appearing on time, well presented, are important factors which, combined with every other variable, can get you the contract, not the other guy.

You have to remember - it's important that you, the designer, take the time to be a professional. It'll be a sad world when e-mail becomes more valuable than a handshake.

i'm not implying a handshake is worthless...i'm simply saying an email is a viable initial point of contact--qualifying the lead-- before investing the time to try to contact someone, where you're lucky to get past the administrative assistant.

if someone dumps my email in the trash, it saves me the phone call. i try to blatantly make my email look as little like spam as possible, and I've found a lot of people take it seriously.

but again, i'm also sending it to design shops where such emails are expected and recognized, not the local video store on the corner that this guy who started the thread could be looking at. i realize this approach could be less useful to some people, but I certainly wouldn't dismiss email altogether, especially if you have excellent, professional writing skills (a HUGE bonus to potential clients/employers).

*sigh* so I guess the answer to my question is 'no'?
    Alrighty people...thanks anyways.

Originally posted by rafiki55
    *sigh* so I guess the answer to my question is 'no'?
    Alrighty people...thanks anyways.
    Hey, man, this is only an advice column; you need to do what you think is best - what suits your sales tactics, potential customers etc. Writing up a polite e-mail shot re: your business, can't be that difficult.

But it's you that has to make the decision, not me or erova.

alright thanks for all the advice. I'll take all your advice into consideration.

cheers,

I've sended about 400 email to companies in my area and got 1 reply. So I think email isn't the best way to gain clients. That's my opinion

http://www.web-works.be

Originally posted by JFlashK
    I've sended about 400 email to companies in my area and got 1 reply. So I think email isn't the best way to gain clients. That's my opinion

http://www.web-works.be
    you wouldn't happen to still have that email, would you? It'd be greatly appreciated if you could post it or send it to me (rob@sign5media.com).

Cheers,
    Robert

To whom it may concern,

This e-mail is sent from my company in an effort to persuade you to by our product or service... now I know you never asked, opted in, requested this sales pitch to be sent. Not to be assumptive, but I would bet you have never even heard of my company. Have I got a deal for you. etc.

Thank you,
    My company

P.S.

This letter, even though it appears to be spam, should not be thought of that way.

hoof it over there with a business card, a brochure and a firm hand shake for the administrative assistant while he or she says you're not seeing anyone without an appointment.

hoof it over there with a business card, a brochure and a firm hand shake for the administrative assistant while he or she says you're not seeing anyone without an appointment.
    Heck, while your there, set up an appointment.

I have read somewhere that it takes, on the average, 5 visits to close a sale. Just a little food for thought.

Originally posted by serpent star
    I have read somewhere that it takes, on the average, 5 visits to close a sale. Just a little food for thought.
    Even I would've had enough of me (and I'm a big fan of me, BTW) after the fourth visit - I imagine by the 5th, I'd probably be breaking some restraining order.

serpent--

considering this guy's looking at realtors you probably have a point that they will want to have more than one face to face meeting, similar to how they are accustomed to no sales until at least a few meetings.

let's agree you have to adjust your approach to your intended audience.

come on hurricane don't be a wus, what's a little restraining order here or there?