A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 3D Maya/Softimage to Flash - how?

Question

Hi
    I´ve done a lot of Flash but not much 3D. Can all you pros tell me what is the best way to transfer movies made in Maya or Softimage to Flash? I don´t even know the fileextensions...
    Or - wich program works best with Flash for 3D, with or without Swift3D?
    I might be getting files to redo in Flash and want to know what fileformat I should ask for etc.
    Can use 3DMax to - and get Swift3D.
    Suggestions?

helenw

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Wink

First your going to have to have one of the 3D vector packages, Swift 3D or the less powerful Vecta 3D. You could do it by using Adobe Dimensions but that would be frame by frame hand made movement. Swift is the only product to give you drop and drag animation right in the package. Maya files (obj,dxf) will not work in Swift3D you can use viewpoint to change them over. But you will not get your motion paths etc. Thats the real advantage to using Swift 3D. Hope this helps. Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.

Well I would just be getting alreadymade movies fr Maya/SI to do in Flash.
    Is it better from 3DstudioMax - they do have a vectorexportplug or something, and maybe then import in Swift3D?
    The programs are no problem, I can get it in any format/any program just need to know the best for making small filesize fastest in Flash. Only they can not be done originally in Swift. But can be Maya, SoftImage , 3DstudioMax or other "highend"-program for 3Dfilmanimation.

Then what original 3D-file works best for me to get and rework for Flash? (directly or with Swift3D that I will get)

/helenw

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Wink

Your best and only straight out of the machine soulution is 3D Studio Max. All the plugins for vector animation are writen for this progam. Swift3D will except all of the information for a Studio file for output. Maya while the King of 3D can not at this time output to low end vector based file format. Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.