A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Incorporating 3d into flash ,to what extreme is it possible and acceptable.

Question

Hello all, I am a freelance artist as well as working for comcast's internet tech support. I actually went to college for computer animation in which I do most of my work in max and Animation Master ,I also love 2d Animation and Image manipulation.
    I am new to flash and currently going through Hillman Curtis' book."Flash Web Design" I have some really vivid ideas for what I would like to do in Flash for my site but I want it to be realistic and not a painful download for viewers. Now my love is in character animation and I was wondering if there is a way to take my characters I created in Max and animated with Character Studio into Flash via Swift 3d or another program and actually have a fluid look.I ask this because I have an intro in mind and am going to animate it in either 3d or 2d but most 3d Ive senn in Flash has been extremely simple and wonder if it's because of difficulty or the fact that the file will be too large. And I assume its best to use the frames one at a time and not prerender it out into a movie. Also with 2d animation do most just scan in pencil tests and clean up in PS and then bring items in a drawing at a time...
    I am working on my businesses new site and want to make it COOL but also not annoying because of download times,so any tips regarding shortening animations by importing different ways is appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

------------------
    Tom

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Wink

I would say that you should use swift 3D. You can bring your models with animation, lighting etc right into swift and it will output the animation. File size is the killer with 3D. All the nodes in the curves are killer. As far as 2D different people do it diferent ways. I like to just draw it right in flash. But then again I'm not doing heavy heavy animation. Here again its a file size consideration. Economy seams to be the order of the day. If you wanted to do a heavy set of animations, I would think if you gave the option to see them after they were in the site it might be acceptable to most visitors willing to part with the portraits of dead presidents in their wallets. Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.