A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: how do I quit?

I'm trying to make a button quit the Flash player using an ActionScript...but it's not working? it appears to be a very simple task in all the books, yet I can't seem to get it to work - here's my code:

getURL("fscommand: quit")

do I need to add anything else to this?

thanks!

not sure, maybe try getting rid of the space between the : and the quit")

just a thought :s

didn't help...but thanks.

Actually the Space is the issue. LiveMotion 2.0 has a bug with all FSCommands that are used from the Script Editor. It adds a space between the fscommand and the action.

getURL("fscommand:quit") should work just fine. As an example, I have a player file fore a presentation, that does a fullscreen, no scale, disable mouse, trap all keys accept the esc key, and close the player. Here are all the FSCommands I use in this one player file.

// Force Player to Full Screen
    getURL("fscommand:fullscreen", true);

// Do not scale the composition
    getURL("fscommand:allowscale", false);

// Disable the Flash Player Menu
    getURL("fscommand:showmenu", false);

// Hide the Mouse Cursor
    Mouse.hide();

// Force all keystrokes to the flash player
    getURL("fscommand:trapallkeys", true);

// Quit the Flash Player
    getURL("fscommand:quit")

// When the Enter Key is pressed, quit the Flash Player
    if(Key.isDown(13)){
    getURL("fscommand:quit");
    }

Now these are all at different keyframe scripts, and events, but its everything in the file. ;-)

Enjoy!

works great! thanks so much...

also the additional info you included is helpful for other things we are doing with the CD - one more question if you don't mind....

we would like to link a few buttons to PDFs that will be housed on the CD - my research has given me this to try, but again I can't get it to work...

getURL("fscommand:exec", "documentName.pdf")

i will include a copy of Actobat Reader on the CD and house it in the same folder as my PDF document - for now I'm just trying to get it to work on my machine

thoughts?

This, getURL("fscommand:exec", "documentName.pdf") will not work in the flash player. As you can see, it will only run EXE files... There is a way around this though, several actually.

1. You could write a bat file and an apple script file (if for PC and MAC OS's) and have it launch the Acrobat Reader, and then load the PDF file.

2. Write a program for PC and or MAC that will launch the Acrobat Player, and the loaded PDF.

Again, you can not lauch a FILE from the flash player, only an application, and then have the application load a file, via a script or an 3rd party application on the CD you have.

So, you could have the flash player install the acrobat program, but not open a pdf with out a script or 3rd party application.

I hate to keep taking up all your time...but you definitely seem to know what you are talking about...so a big THANK YOU.

I have tried just opening up an application (thinking that the Flash player wasn't going to open the file), but this didn't work either.

this was the code I used:

getURL("fscommand:exec", "AdobeAcrobat");

I placed a copy of Acrobat in the folder with the Flash player, and the SWF file - also I made sure the name was exact (no spaces). this still didn't work for me.

Also, I'm doing this on a Mac....although I do have a PC here if needed (but haven't tried that route yet).

???

Ok, lets do this... Joe B from adobe had this to say in a post on adobes u2u forum.

joe post

Make sure that:

The executable is in a folder at the same level as the projector file

Don't specify the path to the executable, just use getURL("fscommand:exec", "executableName");

Make sure it's a projector, and not just a SWF file that is sending the fscommand

Do all that, and it should work...

Hope it helps,

-Joe

Does this help at all?

ahhh...yes. the projector was the problem.
    you guys rock.

thanks!!!!