A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Minimal Style Site Check Please

Well, I have to rewrite some of the content sections and I'm in the process of putting the rest of the portfolio up (done by next week?) but other than that, it's more or less finished. I'm curious as to whether anybody experiences any problems or not or what you think in general. I'm not 100% sold on keeping the invaders that drift around but they're there for now.

Anyway, if you've got a second, I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks either way.

www.dcentdesigns.com

UNified

Nice work

I like your audio..

Navigation was not immediately obvious and I dont understand the little "gate" dropping down in the narrow center panel. However once that was sorted it was a good visit.

The "space invader" phone number was a tad too cute
    and the track changer had me thinking that I might be about to exit the site or worse..maybe show the tracks on rollover.

Well done and keep the "floating invaders"

Jofta

Cool

Very cool site! I didn't experience any problems everything worked great. Well done

very nice, no problems.
    like the invaders idea.

one suggestion:
    your contact form needs a "tab key catch" (if you know what i mean )

Nice site,

I would suggest to make the sound-button a little more obvious, like a note instead of x. And definitely a tab key catch in the form.

I'll come back when the content is ready.

<83)~ ratman
    i love the preloader and the logo is really nice

and the enter button is sweet with nice sound attached

i love it!

the sounds all work really nicely!

its very nice and minimalistic

its all functions good and the line drawings are well done

the space invaders add a nice touch!

give my site a check - http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=345995

steve rat

FLESRUOYLLIK

not bad

not bad at all

Mostly harmless
    Great looking site, cool intergrated sounds (noticed a couple from Half Life in there, hehe, damn I need to get out more). Looks quite similar to a website of a guy who posts here sometimes, name of the site escapes me (Minimal-something-or-other) but different enough for that not to be an issue. The space invaders work quite nicely, the way you've designed them makes them seem as if they're part of the font you're using.

Good stuff...

FK Lover
    this is a killer site.
    absolutely amazing.

very good soundFX
    design, animation

great stuff

very good idea for the preloader

Now this is a great minimal design. Simple yet entertaining. I enjoyed everything about your site. The space invader characters is a excellent choice. I'd keep this. Great work!!!

great site, must have taken a long time.

the part about motion was great lol

i agree, great site. and yes, the motion peice was really cool. i loved how that worked. great job.

Thanks for the feedback.

You've brought up some problem areas that I hadn't thought about before... that's exactly what I was hoping.

jofta: You were right about the nav not being all that obvious at first even though there isn't much on the screen at that point. I changed the rollover states of the 5 main section headings to red to help show that they're actually the buttons (plus it brings the button design in line with the rest of the site). As for the center panel with the sliding gate... well, I don't actually know why that's in there. I put it in when I started the design and it's just sort of stuck even though it doesn't serve any purpose. Do you think it detracts from the overall enough to get rid of it? I'm attached to it a bit now but I'm definitely open to suggestions.

jofta/Jeantje: Point taken on the sound button. I changed it to show the options on rollover (though I probably need to reposition/rethink it completely to be a little less clunky) and I'll work on making the button less cryptic than an 'x'... forgot about the end user there for a minute.

me2222/Jeantje: Thanks for the heads-up on the tab key catch. I hadn't even thought about about that but I'll be adding one for sure... terrific suggestion.

Parsonsgfys: I usually hang out over on the 'Dark Side' *ducks bottles* so I'm not really familiar with peoples sites over here (though I'll definitely be hanging out more in the future). I'd love to check out the site you're referring to if you happen remember it by some stroke of luck. Hopefully they're not overly close in design as that might cause me to slash my own wrists. Did I say that out loud? Crap.

Everyone else... thanks for encouraging words and for taking the time to check it out. Much appreciated!

Mostly harmless
    d.cent one (damn, how'd you come up with such a cool name, *he says scratching his head at Parsonsgfys* hehe)

Is there another Flash forum called 'The Dark Side'? Sorry, I'm pig ignorant and have no idea. I couldn't quite figure out what you meant at first. First thing I guessed was that you meant you were British (hey, me too), then I thought perhaps you were Anakin's buddy (without asthma). Let me know what it is, I'm intruiged, hehe.

Anyway, side tracked again. I did a bit of research and managed to dig the URL out after remembering it had been site of the day at Macromedia's aptly named Site of the Day (http://www.macromedia.com/showcase/a...ebruary02.html).

The site I was referring to was http://www.miniml.com/. It's fairly similar but there are some fundamental differences which means your wrists should remain intact, hehe.

Both the miniml site and your site are excellent and I think there's room for them both to comfortably co-exist.

Keep running those hits kid

I definitely know www.miniml.com ... That's where I purchased the font from in the first place (and yes I actually paid). I wasn't trying to emulate it though but I see what you're saying. I hope I'm not one of those people who think they're writing an 'original' song that's already been on the radio all summer. Not that I'm making any claims to ground-breaking originality either but... whatever, hopefully you get my point if there is one.

The Dark Side == www.were-here.com. I thought most people over here referred to it that way b/c of the color combos. Anyway, my user name over there is 'doran' but it was already taken here (by me I'm sure) so I went with something new.

Thanks for going to the trouble of digging that up by the way.
    [Edited by dcent.one on 07-25-2002 at 04:22 PM]

Mostly harmless
    Yeah, I get what you mean You mean that it is an arrogant assumption to think that any idea is original, everything is intertextually layered and influenced by a million other designs one has seen in their life, etc.....

Wherever you got the idea, you've made it your own and that's the important thing.

No problem with the digging, hehe. I feel kind of guilty to have bought it up now. I inadvertantly pointed the plagerist finger and now there's egg on my face. :0

And were-here.com, I'd heard of it way back but never visited for some reason. I shall be checking it out when it comes back on-line.

Cheers