A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: whah to do with heavy swf?

what to do with heavy swf?

I have an swf whose size if 8 mb. What do I do to make the movie load quickly on the web?

If 8MB is unalterable, there's nothing you can do.

It is going to take about 35 minutes to download on most dial-up connections. Period.

It'll take about 2 minutes on a 512k connection running at top speed. Even at that, it had better be worth the wait

This isn't what you asked, but I'll check: are you prepared to change the movie so that the SWF comes out smaller?

If so, you'll need to give a heck of a lot more information

Can you post the FLA...I'd need to look at how you built it (images you used,etc.) to see why it is so big...are you sure it's not your FLA that is 8MB?

8mg bytes is really huge for an swf. probably you've already thought of this, but is there anyway you can spilt the swf up somehow? just a shot in the dark without knowing that the purpose of the movie is... but if its something where the user clicks through to different scenes could you place them on seperate pages? it would still be large but it would help.

Actually I need to convert an avi into a flash movie. The avi has a huge size of 300 mb. So, I took printscreens of the relevant areas, converted them to gif's, imported them to flash and animated them. You may suggest any method that I can use to make the movie load faster or do u know of any method i can use to convert avi into swf . The file has audio also.

try using png24 format instead of gifs

mail me at mahinder1979@hotmail.com

Parul, try reducing the export settings of your swf a bit.
    For example if it is currently 100, try reducing it to 90 or less, depending upon the amount of quality you can sacrifice:-)
    I assure you that you will find a noticable size difference

probably hates you, dude..
    if you haven't done this already, try and separate the big clip and all the sounds up into seperate .swf's, then put preloaders on them so the viewer knows whats in store... and have just the main info on the site while they wait for the big files to load...