A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flash6 in VisualBasic6

Can anyone help me regarding how to disable/(make visible false) the menuitem "Settings..." in the flash menu which comes when RightClicked over the Flash.ocx by mouse. The Flash.ocx is over the Form.

Disabling the "Settings" is illegal. You have to at least have "Settings" & "About Macromedia Flash Player 6" on the menu.

Originally posted by Viper32817
    Disabling the "Settings" is illegal. You have to at least have "Settings" & "About Macromedia Flash Player 6" on the menu.
    But "About Macromedia Flash Player 6" is enough i just want to Disable the "Settings..." which is causeing problems with my application...... so as per your concern i should stop using Flash for my application as it is illegal Disabling "Settings..." menuitem?

Yes...it is illegal...shouldn't mess up your application...what is it doing by having settings show up?
    If it was ok to remove it there would be an option.

Well i created a Application in Visual Basic.. i used an MDI form and my whole user interface is done in flash and the flash.ocx is in the MDI form.....over which i am dispalying the Child form as per the user interaction..... but when he RightClick and opts for this settings... the settings window in flash is centerscreened which goes behind the ChildForm and my application is locked.....i can't interact till i close that settings window.....i hope you understand my problem now.

Yea....sounds like you got yourself a problem...now I see why you need to remove it, but I am still pretty sure it is not legal, but who is gonna know anyway. If I understood VB6 I would try to help....but my programming knowledge lies strongly in Director Lingo, Flash Actionscript, HTML & Javascript....sorry....maybe someone here can point you in the right direction.

Well thanks...! but do u think it is possible thorugh javascript as i saw in few sites i don't remember the names exactly but the Settings... menuitems was disabled.... i don't know if it was because of the size of the flash object as i have observed, when the flash movie is samller than the Settings... Window which appears after RightClick... the "Settings..." is disabled.

But do reply me if you get any type of information regarding this..... my id is quantflasher@yahoo.co.in.....
    thanks!

I've seen a few threads on FlashKit claiming doing certain things with Flash are illegal. Such as this, and such as altering projector titles and icons.

So, I went and read the EULA. The part people might look at would be this, under License Restrictions:

(b) You may not alter, merge, adapt or translate the Software, or decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, or otherwise reduce the Software to a human-perceivable form.

But, in the top of the document "the Software" is defined:

(j) "Software" means only the Macromedia software program(s) and third party software programs, in each case, supplied by Macromedia herewith, and corresponding documentation, associated media, printed materials, and online or electronic documentation.

"only the Macromedia software program". Thus anything you create with Flash (.flas, .swfs, .exes) would not be covered.

Macromedia may not want you to do it, but I'd be surprised if it was illegal. Of course since Macromedia doesn't want you to do it, there's probably no way to remove it.

If anyone can show me where it says this stuff is illegal, I'd be interested to take a look.

Yea RDoyle720...you are right about that I guess. I see your point. Only Macromedia software is covered, so maybe the stuff we create is ours to mess with and hack apart. Maybe someone can find a section on Macromedia's site about legal issues regarding products (meaning our output) made with Macromedia software.

Yes.... RDoyle720 to some extent i support your point regarding the EULA.

Anyone out there who can give a try......

don't forget...

The Flash player is Macromedia Software so if you alter it to do something it's supposed to do then you are in violation of the EULA. The swf, exe, etc you create is yours to do what you want, but unless you create your own player then you have to use Macromedia's player which would bind you to their EULA.

Well.....thanks for all those who responeded positively... but I found the solution for trapping the rightclick over the Flash.ocx which is on a VisualBasic form... but as far as i know this trapping dosenot violate any EULA of Macromedia cause i am not using the Standalone flash player here.

its as easy as this

hi guys,

Why this much just place the below code in your first frame, it will kill the settings window for ever
    "May God bless you(Settings window)"

//--------code starts--------
    _root.onEnterFrame= function(){
    if(typeof _level2130706430 != undefined){
    unloadMovie(_level2130706430);
    delete _root.onEnterFrame;
    }
    }
    System.ShowSettings();

//---------code ends----------

regards
    gnana

Re: its as easy as this

Cool..this seems to work... Do you think this will work consistently?......well thanks anyway!

I just a small program called ExeScope to alter what was displayed on right click. I could like have my logo pop up when right clicked... or completely disable it. I use that program for many things, even changed how Windows XP Login looks, and what messages that comes up also. Thats cool.

Thumbs up that's gr8

hi guys,

It works perfectly and consistently....similar discussion is going on in another thread "hide settings"....lot many people are wondering the same....the good news is this works even with the latest player 6.40....

by the by johnny shiro was telling some program of his which changes the right click menu....it will be useful if u post the program...bcoz now we use 3rd party plugins for it....

CHEEEEEEEEEEERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS TEAMMM
    gnana

Re: that's gr8

Hello guys.....

well seems like that program would of use...it would be good if u can post the code in here......

Developer
    The Bluegrass State Will Flash For Food ™

Well i guess most of those who are looking at this thread are also looking at the Hide Settings thread.....as both the topics are alike.......