A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Swift 3D?

Squish,
    If you're talking about Macromedia's E3D, then no, you can't export vector animations for importing into Flash (which is what you need if you don't want to pump the file size up to stupid amounts).

Macromedia doesn't even make E3D anymore, I have a copy of V1, (I find it still to be quite useful, though progs like 3dstudioMax and bryce blow it out of the water).

Sorry if this was not the program you were on about.

If anyone else uses E3D, please feel free to contact me...

------------------
    Visit Jon's Multimedia Site for everything multimedia, all for FREE !

just wanted to state my opinion on swift 3d

I have just been using it for a short time but I noticed somethings that are kinda lame.
    the refresh rate (real time) suuuuuuuucks. I'm on a 733 and it cant handle anything.
    I found the drag and drop style interface is kinda lame. Granted I know this is just for the average user not a Softimage or maya guy, but this program is very annoying to use.
    It does export a phong style render look (or gradient render) but it slows down most machines really bad when viewing it in swf format.
    but I think for the price it's not bad and you do get your money's worth...But I think it's so watered down and sluggish it may turn off alot of people.

FLYNN!!!!!!

PS if you want a really kick ass 3d web client program go here http://www.cycore.com
    and http://www.bde3d.com

[This message has been edited by bobspecker (edited 07 May 2000).]

[This message has been edited by bobspecker (edited 07 May 2000).]

That Cult3D stuff is really fricken nice.

another 3d option

as I stated above I don't care much for the interface of swift that much....however since you can import *.3ds files you can get a used copy of 3ds4 for like $50.00 (you will have to run a pif to run it in windows) but it's better then pushing out a ton of cash for a new max3 release..and honestly if all you need max for is to do flash animaion's it's kinda a overkill.
    and this way you get real aniamtion and modeling tools for your Swift package.
    3ds4 is an old program that is no where near as good as Max3 but it still alot better then Swift.

just an option

Yeah Pope I like that b3d alot its kinda like the realtime 3d version of flash

[This message has been edited by bobspecker (edited 08 May 2000).]

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Wink

In all fairness to electric rain, their whole intent was to give the little guy some tools. It was never to be a true full solution. But they did make sure you could bring in the animation,lights, etc from max. I'm sure over time they will include other packages for import. This is a V1. I have spent alot of time on the phone with John Soucie one of the owners letting him know the feed back from people. If you have ideas or features you would like to see in a future release send it to them. They do want to hear from people. Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Wink

WOW!! I've seen the cult stuff before but the b3d stuff is nice. Wonder if MM will look into supporting it in flash. That would be awsome. Thanks for the tip. Regards, Bill

------------------

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.

Unhappy

FOLKS !!

I've just shelled out for Swift 3D and you guys are making me nervous. All this talk of windows problems and DLL adjustments, enough to give a guy nightmares.

I have a copy of 3DS MAX 4 and I want to import relatively simple 3D models. I may import more complex models as I gain more confidence with the program. All I know is that as far as 3D Vector programs come Swift seems very highly recommended.

Hopefully I have made the right choice, but with all you've said I'm not all that sure.

When the software arrives I'll install it and then decide myself how it works and then shout my opinion from the top of this board .

Anyways .. apart from all the negative feedback here are there any people (please tell me there are) who think Swift is exactly what they dreamed of ??

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Wink

I think if you look at the overall response to Swift 3D on this board you'll find there are much more supporters than detracters. I think the program is great for a first release. If you have any problems just contact erain and I know they will fix it. I think your gona like it. Regards, Bill

------------------

If you have pruchased swift3d, then you can download the patch for it. e-rain has released the patch to fix minor problems and the dll issue. If you have registered your copy of swift3d then click on the help menu and goto the customer support site only. From there you can download the released patch.

Thumbs up

I really can't see the problem, I purchased, downloaded, installed and ran swift first time. I am doing my first flash site and needed an easy to learn and not expensive program that will export 3d images to flash and hey presto the boys at e-rain have done it. If your 3d is only for flash site images then you can't go wrong with this one.

okay, okay ... okay!

I guess you guys have slapped my wrist enough now. I must be the only person to have seen problems with this "golden-haired software". Far be it for me to ask advice for an alternative program. I've seen the error of my ways.

Geeeeeeezz!!

"Golden-haired software" hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha... you DID ask for people's OPINIONS, Rose... hahahahaha

Vince,
    Please read my third post on this topic ... where I tried to make it very clear that what I was asking, was for "suggestions or alternatives". I also made it very clear that I wasn't "bashing" Swift.

Unlike most of you, it seems, I am unable to afford a lot of software. Flash set me back quite a bit, and I just didn't want to spend another $140 on a package that I had actually seen someone else have problems with.

I really was hoping that someone could offer me some good advice. That's all I was after.

However Vince, it seems that you believe that I should now offer up the other wrist for slapping.

- Rose

Oh jeez.. relax there Rose, I didn't mean to offend.

Tell me what tools you DO have.(Photoshop, Illustrator, etc...) I'm sure there's got to be some way you can make 3D...

NIGHTMARE SCENARIO!

You can read my initial post above, I took delivery of Swift 3D a few days ago and due to workload did not have a chance to install in until today.

Guess what?

Physical Memory Dump, ati2draa.dll seems to be bent on giving me an ulcer. It works fine on another PC running Win98 but not on my NT4.0 workstation (SP5). I can't access the e-rain customer only website because ironically you need the software installed first.

I am not impressed, to release software not fully beta tested seems crazy. Perhaps I should perhaps have listened to Rose after all.

[This message has been edited by awatson (edited 25 May 2000).]

awatson,

to answer your question, I'm running windows NT workstation 4.0, I actually tested swift3d on win95, win98, NT 4.0, NT 2000. And I didnt have much problems installing it.

The Physical Memory dump that you have is generated by your graphix dll. I suppose you have some sort of an ati graphics card.

A small test that you can do to see what is generating the problem is this.

Start NT workstation in vga mode, and run swift3d. If that works, it very simply means that the problem isnt with swift3d but with your graphix card drivers.

And I dont know how people assume that swift wasnt beta tested. Swift3d was beta tested by at least 3 flashers that were heavy on 3d. And http://www.onlinedj.com 3d's work was created in swift. and that site was released month before swift was.

Lets not jump into quick conclusions and blame every small problem we face on the actual program. And the fact that it runs on win98 but not NT should tell you something.
    NT is on sp6.0a why dont you try to d/l the sp6.0a and the latest graphix drivers from ati, and try again.

Hey, I was one of the Beta Testers and I did all the testing a work on a NT box... had NO problems... sometimes some of the builds mess up making the shortcut and you need to either click on the ACTUAL program or you need to make a new shortcut in your start menu... (It kept happening at the FF2k San Fran show... kinda funny.)

Vince

I was a beta tester also. We started beta testing Swift3D a long time ago. We threw everything at the program Including the kitchen sink. Electric Rain would never have released it if they thought it was not ready.

Alex Hallajian

Unhappy

Swift3D rocks the house of you need FAST 3d objects for Flash 4 (especially if you don't have the time to draw those frames by hand!).

The only problem I have with it is that it takes FOREVER to export your 3d movies to a .swf file...

Heck, I been waiting 20 minutes so far for a 3d text spin...this is ridiculous

Peace

-forthefather.com

Yes, speed is the price you pay for good 3D with Swift... Eh, atleast you're not hand tracing it.