A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [

gnana; that code used to work, but it doesn't in version 6.0.40.0

Grimace; I understand your objections about removing the context menu, but it does have very useful implications if we could do it. It's also a challange.
    I'd say that as long as you credit Macromedia somewhere in the piece then there shouldn't be a problem. Just adding another piece of functionality for the user.

Developer
    The Bluegrass State Will Flash For Food ™
    don't worry about it.... the only thing you can do is make it disapear but thats it...

Originally posted by gnana

you will be listed all the objects and the properties of it...
    they will be listed...

gSOLO_01: the user still has to physically accept mic, webcam, shared objects(?)or whatever for any manipulation attempted by actionscript. there are probably ways around it but then again there are ways around everything.

Banned
    Gnana, if only to try it out, I would, but you've not posted the code to do so!
    Stop teasing! If you have some code working, post it or ship out!

Developer
    hide menu

Code:
    _root.onEnterFrame = function(){
       if(typeof _level2130706430 != 'undefined'){
          unloadMovie(_level2130706430);
          delete _root.onEnterFrame;
       }
    }
    but thats not what he wants to hide... he want to hide the right click menu...

Banned
    But that does keep the settings mc from showing up, right!
    Now, the only thing that does show up on a right click is "settings", which now leads nowhere, and the Macromedia credit!

that wasn't too hard... using debug facilities to inspect the Settings Panel... (*bangs head against wall*).

I hereby state officially that I will not abuse the Settings Panel in any way... at least not physically

Along we move: one seems to be unable to manipulate the Settings Panel (and apparantly in the latest player, even it's properties). You even can't set a variable in it and read it out subsequently. MM must have shielded that pretty good. I was just wondering (yes, again, coz I'm the wonderer)... would they have ActionScript commands for securing objects like that? Or would their players force the restriction? I could imagine some ASxxx method that shields an object, as there are still native methods that have not been functionally identified yet (that is, by everyone except MM of corz). Anyone?

Yes, I too would be interested to know how they shielded that layer. Is there a way of running duplicate movie clip with a layer? Cause if so we could easily duplicate the settings window, unload the original and then probably have full access to our own copy.

Originally posted by gSOLO_01
    hide menu

Code:
    _root.onEnterFrame = function(){
       if(typeof _level2130706430 != 'undefined'){
          unloadMovie(_level2130706430);
          delete _root.onEnterFrame;
       }
    }
    but thats not what he wants to hide... he want to hide the right click menu...
    I'm sure this code works, but then only settings and the about macromedia are visible. But I want to hide these settings too because in the settings an url is visible.
    I'm starting to think it's impossible to hide everything.

They have locked the damn thing pretty good. Even debugging (break points) fail while the panel is active. I wonder wether they have a special (preferably from within ActionScript invokable ) mode that imposes the debug block. I also wonder whether the debug block and ActionScript failure boil down to the same thing. Boy, how I wish to crack that thing

Another finding: though you can unload the movie, you cannot load another movie in it. If you try that, it says: "Error opening URL...".

Also, I don't remember where I got it from, but I have this ActionScript file that appears to get executed in the initialization phase of the Flash player (if you want it, you can request it from me, if you know the url where it came from, you may tell me). The thing sets up some things that are not in the ActionScript engine, for instance some XML functions like removeNode and appendChild (but lotsa more). But no appearance of the infamouse Settings Panel there.

I guess MM has given it some thought before doing the Action Panel in Flash Two thumbs up for these guys.
    [Edited by Grimace on 07-30-2002 at 06:05 AM]

it works fine for me

hi guys,

The code posted by me will not disable the right click menu, if you choose the settings from the rihgtclick menu the settings window will not open.....i hope that's what the thread started...

It works perfectly for me with player 6.40 also.....

so just check your codes again.....good luck

A BIG CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEERS for the entire TEAM

gnana

Banned
    hi dude,

The settings window opening when you right click is an MC, the Mc is loaded in the level 2130706430. So i hope now you can play around with it.......lemme know if u succed or fail.....

good luck
    gnana
    Yeah! Some code man! Who would of thought of that!!!!

What about learning?

I've been registered for a while on this forum, but as you can see have not really posted since I usually can find my answers in pre-existing threads. I feel I must contribute to this conversation.

Our company is having a major issue with the right-click menu in Flash, specifically for e-learning applications. We would LOVE to use Flash as our WBT (web-based training) application of choice, but we are stuck using Authorware because there is not a convenient way that we've found to drop in a custom context menu to simulate complex applications (SAP, etc...).

And if any of you have dealt with clients that balk at the idea of using the flash plug-in, just wait until you see their reactions when you tell them they have to use a bizarre 8mb plug-in that defaults to only supporting the most current version of the software. Add to that the common problem that many corporate systems still use old browsers and NT 4.0 that have major problems with the authorware plug-in.

I could deal with all of that if Authorware wasn't the most convoluted, poorly supported, ugliest, unstable program that I've ever used. And it's $2500. Working in flash, I take for granted opacity fades, fair text handling abilities, etc. All of these are out with Authorware, which only supports really silly powerpoint transitions without buying custom fade packs that should be standard. It's on the other side of "cool" from Director, in comparision to flash.

Does ANYONE have a good solution for this problem in Flash? I know there are ways to add a layer above the flash menu in a specific location that prompts a custom DHTML menu. Is this difficult to do, will it work with all browsers, what if I have a ton of right-clicks? I understand Quisic uses flash for their e-learning and came up with a solution, maybe similar to the one I just outlined (www.quisic.com).

As a conclusion, I think Macromedia should address this. Flash can have a place in e-learning, but not with this stupid limitation. I guess they really want to hold on to Authorware, which is over priced, and rarely updated (they just added xml support; woopity doo! Flash could only do that 2 years ago!).

That's all I got.

Developer
    i can delete the context of the right click menu for an exe using a free resource editor. it takes a couple of seconds. just tried it, it works... when i get home i'll look into deleting the menu alltogether.

i havent tried this but it looks like it should work for the web swf... it could be somhow adapted to only disable it if it is over the swf. i'm not 100% sure as to what it's supposed to be doing but... also it's checking for netscape, i'm not sure if that can just be swapped with ie code...

[ edit -- oops, the board dosn't like html ]

Code:
    < script>
    function protect(e) {
             return (false);
    }
    function trap() {
            document.onmousedown = protect;
     if (navigator.appName.substring(0, 9) == "Netscape") {
      document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);
     }
    }
    window.onload = trap;
    < /script>
    [Edited by gSOLO_01 on 07-30-2002 at 10:13 AM]

I've tried that code before, it works fine in a normal html page and stops right clicks registering, however where activex is involved it doesn't register as it should.

Developer
    ok, we'eve got the right-click in the exe gone and the settings swf hidden, just need to find out how to do it in the web/swf file.

here is my guess, because the exe/projector/flashplayer is on the users machine when they are browsing the web, the only way to disable the menu is to alter the flash player itself. or we have them download a special flash player... not only would that be illegal (would it?) and a waste of time or whatever, but you would have to do it to everyone who you want to shield the right click menu from. not worth it.

got it? good

There is definitly a way of doing it cause I've seen it before on another site, problem is that I can't remember how it was done. I'm sure that there was a javascript method that removed the menu as soon as it appeared and then called a function in the swf where it displayed it's own menu.
    The only way I've found to do it so far is to, when the flash movie has focus, send focus to a different window. This is a rubbish way of doing it and not practical in the real world. There must be another way...

hi guys,

Hi guys,

My code is there in the same thread first page itself...just check..
    The solution offered by me also works in WEB....i.e. if you embed the code in an HTML and view it in browser it does work.......
    Coming to the point of hiding the right click menu....
    You can hide the right click menu using 3rd party tools...like swf studio and other stuffs....

They are best suited for web based training (eLearning)...just check those toold ..... its amazing.

gnana

Banned
    The settings window opening when you right click is an MC, the Mc is loaded in the level 2130706430. So i hope now you can play around with it.......lemme know if u succed or fail.....
    ...Well i play aron wit it an im letin u no i fail!

gnana; We're trying to work out how to remove the context menu on the web, not in a projector. You can remove it from the projector just by hacking the exe, no need for 3rd party tools. Unfortunately you can't do that with a swf since the menu is controlled from within the activex player, so we need to come up with another way of removing it. I'm sure DHTML is the route to take but I've got nowhere far yet

Developer

Re: hi guys,; your code?

Originally posted by gnana
    My code is there in the same thread first page itself...just check..
    you keep saying you posted your code... what code are you talking about?