A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Using the Round function in Action Script

How do I get an object in motion to go to the nearest 25(i.e. 25, 50, 75, 100, etc.)when it stops? I've been playing with the 'round' function(I am getting the objects postion 'pos' then setting its position and rounding it 'pos Round(25)'), but apparently I am doing it wrong, as the edit box I have monitoring its position shows it landing nowhere near the nearest '25'.

Any help greatly appreciated.

-Jason

round , floor and cieling

Originally posted by zoranvedek
    How do I get an object in motion to go to the nearest 25(i.e. 25, 50, 75, 100, etc.)when it stops? I've been playing with the 'round' function(I am getting the objects postion 'pos' then setting its position and rounding it 'pos Round(25)'), but apparently I am doing it wrong, as the edit box I have monitoring its position shows it landing nowhere near the nearest '25'.
    Any help greatly appreciated.

-Jason
    Round is used as Round(pos) which will round it to the nearest integer number only. Floor does the same but always rounds down and cieling always rounds up. This is not going to work for what you are trying to do.

I'm sure we can work it out though. What is the largest multiple of 25 you'll need to check for?
    using javascript you could do this:
    && means AND
    || means OR
    -------------
    Code:
    if (pos<25 || pos>25 && pos<38){
     pos=25;
    }
    if (pos>25 && pos>38){
    pos = 50;
    }
    and so on

Hi guys,

An easier way to do this is to use the following code...

Code:
    pos = random(100);
    result = round(pos / 25) * 25;
    What we're doing here is dividing the position by 25 and rounding the result. We then multiply the result by 25 so that we can then determine the position of the nearest 25.

Here's a link to see a working example of these two lines.
    http://www.flash-fx.com/3dfa/forum/s...rounding.movie

Also, if you have a moving object that is moving to the left then use the floor() function if you want to make it stop neatly on the lowest nearest 25. Alternatively you can use the ceil() function to round to the next 25 if the object is moving to the right and you would like it to stop neatly there.

eg. floor(45) will result in 25
    ceil(45) will result in 50

HTH a little.

Tried using both solution's in the actionscript, neither worked(might have to use javascript for this one afterall).

Heres the file:

http://members.aol.com/zoranvedek/slottest.html

and the source:

http://members.aol.com/zoranvedek/slottest.movie

The edit box is monitoring the third bar, there is currently nothing there to set it's postion. The bars position are given the handles of:

b1=posa
    b2=posb
    b3=posc

-Jason