A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Problems with flash cutting the tops off of videos

Problems with flash cutting the tops off of videos

I'm creating a gallery for flash video. I'm using flash mx2004, and sorenson. I compress the avi's to wmv. The videos are pretty short and small, and they are going on a cd.

I have the menu in one swf. Each movie is in their own swf.

The videos are having the tops of them chopped off when I bring them into flash. They are 320 x 240, flash decides to import them at a size of 270.1 x 185.9. I'm just importing the wmvs directly into flash.

I checked all the videos to make sure sorenson wasnt doing anything wierd, and all the videos play fine outside of flash.

Why go to .wmv first? Just export out of Sorenson as .swf or .flv.

I suspect your problem may be your conversion aspect settings in Sorenson. Without checking your numbers, I'd say you have it set at 2:3 when it should be 3:4 or vice-versa.

I'm using Flash 8 so I can't tell you exactly, but look carefully through the options when you import the wmv. There should be a place where there is the option to resize the video (it might be hidden in an "advanced settings" option window).

Something to remember - if you bring in any video file other then an FLV (Flash Video) into Flash, it re-compresses them with it's native codecs (in this case, Sorenson Spark). This is redundant - compressing the video twice will introduce more errors and noise into your video.

One good workaround for this is to use a 3rd party program to compress your raw AVI directly into an FLV. FLV's are imported directly to the library, without any re-compression, OR re-sizing. I've gotten excellent results with the FREE Riva FLV Encoder. Check it out @ http://www.rivavx.com/index.php?downloads&L=3

[edit -- I'm an idiot, I just noticed you're using Sorenson... which is far better then Riva. ]