A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [

Senior Moderator
    Flash Communcation Server MX is currently a windows application only, unix version will be released sometime in the future.

Most people will be installing the trial on their local machine and playing with it from there. If you want to allow other people to be able to help you experiment and test your flashcoom applications, you need to know how to set up a webserver on your computer so that other people can access your local computer over the web.

If you visit http://www.firepages.com.au/dev4.htm you will find a complete webserver package downloadable for free, including php, mysql, perl and an apache webserver that is all pre-configured to run on your local windows box.

You can run this webserver package on any windows machine.

Unpack the zip file and then set your webserver running by double clicking the start_phdev.bat this will run a few msdos commands that start the apache webserver and the mysql database running.

Now you have yourself a local webserver and anybody on the web can visit your local machine, once they know your ip address.

So to find your ip address, you need to start msdos and type "ipconfig" or "winipconfig" depending on which version of windows you are running. The first set off numbers that appear "Ip-Address: .." is your ip address.

If you type this number into your web browser:

http://Your-Ip-Address/

You will see the contents of your webservers root folder.

Any files you place in this directory and any subdirectories are web accessible.

Therefore if you place your flash movies in this folder, people can view them and play with your experiments with you over the internet.

Next problem, is that your ip address may be dynamic, this is usually the case if you are using a dial-up connection, therefore you will need to register a free static ip-address at http://www.dyndns.org

This website basically gives you a little application to download that automatically notifies the website when your ip address changes, the domain name they give you, usually in the form:

http://yourname.kicks-ass.net

or

http://yourname.dyndns.org

will then redirect people to your ip-address when entered into a web browser.

If you have any questions, or are having problems setting up your local webserver, just email me and ill be more than happy to help.

Hope this helps.

Guy, you've given some incredible nuggets of knowledge here for people who have never set up their own server.
    In fact, I would have saved myself hours of frustration and trial/error if I had known about these beauties.
    Thanks, man.

-Jay

Danny Gomez Creations cosmiceye's Avatar
    under a palmtree in Jamaica waiting for psytopia 2005 to begin
    yeah man, that was a beuty, it will help me to setup my own server when I get the hardware. But at testing level it can be good to know that u dont actually need more than serverspace and your ipnumber! Just connect like this:

_root.client_nc.connect("rtmp://myIpNumber/myApp/"+userName.text);

it really works (god bless you psychlonex), and Im running my flashcom experiments like that, the applications will connect no matter were or which server the file is. But it really sucks when u are developing your stuff in flash and a load of visitors shows up needing the pc performance. So its only good at testing and developing level, but to get a smooth working app, you will have to use a standalone server.

BTW I have a question...how do I check for the days left of the trial?

psx = new Moderator();
    Cosmic - How's the app going?!

Anyway, I think you can get that info in the admin pages. I know it shows you your licenses, I can't remember if it showed the date it expires or not.

psx

Danny Gomez Creations cosmiceye's Avatar
    under a palmtree in Jamaica waiting for psytopia 2005 to begin
    Hay psy, my app is going pretty well, I added it to my footer. Im updating all the time, but Im getting depressed couse I dont have the money to buy the license, it costs the same as I need to pay the rest of the bills this month. Maybe I can find a friendly soul out there who is willing to share his connection with me. But who whants to give away bandwith and performance, anyway

Danny(cosmiceye) is the greatest! If you haven't checked out his Flash experiment, you need to head over there and give him a shout! Help him with some testing.
    (You rock, danny!)

-Jay

this is coool

this really rocks...but i m not able to find the correct ip for my machine.

my ip is 172.16.0.40, but its not accessible from outside...

wat can be the problem...anyone?

i am on a lan connection (cable net)

AJ
    ---------------
    AJ

what i have to do if i dont have a real IP ?

the proxy server has the main ip but we are look like behin the proxy we have ips and it defrent

what can we do ?