A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: (Game "?") follow the cursor

Question

Hi All,

Have a question,

I have been helped greatly by Blanius's tut on setting an image to follow your cursor, but I need help with something different but similar......

I'm building a game & I need to have the "baddies" chase my image (set to follow cursor) does this make sense?

I have an image set to follow the X Y coordinates of the mouse pointer, but want to add charachters that will chase the pointer, I would like to use velocity & acceleration also but once again my tries have all failed.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Dub

trig

Originally posted by goodwin2
    Hi All,

Have a question,

I have been helped greatly by Blanius's tut on setting an image to follow your cursor, but I need help with something different but similar......

I'm building a game & I need to have the "baddies" chase my image (set to follow cursor) does this make sense?

I have an image set to follow the X Y coordinates of the mouse pointer, but want to add charachters that will chase the pointer, I would like to use velocity & acceleration also but once again my tries have all failed.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Dub
    It's a little tricker than that... You will need to use trig math functions to determine the angle to your character

look at the eyes follow cursor demo on my deadyeti site for a starter. http://deadyeti.com/blanius/eyes.html

I understand what you want to do but have not actually done it.

I belive it you use the code from the eyes example and set "rotational Velocity" you will get the desired result

Well Sorry to say that upon checking this. It would seem that version 3.6 does not compile this example correctly.

VERY FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!

Ok so now I have to Re-Figure out how the rotation of an element is calculated. So Until I have time to figure out what has changed in handling of rotation and tangets this will not work......

Sorry guys
    It's unfortunate that 3dfa math is not the same as in flash because it would be nice to use the vast information out there on the subject. I'm not good enough at the trig needed to figure it out on my own I learn this stuff from Flash5/FlashMX tutorials and port them over to 3dfa.

Rob! What can I do....???

Originally posted by blanius
    Well Sorry to say that upon checking this. It would seem that version 3.6 does not compile this example correctly.
    Sorry guys
    It's unfortunate that 3dfa math is not the same as in flash because it would be nice to use the vast information out there on the subject.
    Thank you very much for your attempts, your tries would have saved me hours & hours of vain attempts, (I'm stubborn like that)

Well i could try an alternate route,
    Can you shed some light on how to drag an item automatically when the pointer moves over it?

sort of like what a magnet would do.

sure

in the list of actions add an If dragOn=true before the follow cursor routine and an "END" after

Then in the main movie put an action
    Let dragOn=false

Then make the object you want to follow a picture button and in the mouseover action put dragOn=true.

In the Click Action you can put dragOn=false and move the cursor with code off the button

Might work

VERY FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!
    Good news! ver #.7 does compile the eyes example,
    however the source file movie offered on your site has the "mouseX & mouseY" set backwards in the actions element.

the eyes looked away from the mouse rather than follow it.
    funny & useful for that particular need!

I swithced the actions & it compiled fine
    Thanks yet again Brett!

on a prev post you suggested adding a rotational velocity to the object to get the desired effect, care to elaborate?
    would that need be implemented via javascript?

Originally posted by goodwin2

VERY FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!
    Good news! ver #.7 does compile the eyes example,
    however the source file movie offered on your site has the "mouseX & mouseY" set backwards in the actions element.

the eyes looked away from the mouse rather than follow it.
    funny & useful for that particular need!

I swithced the actions & it compiled fine
    Thanks yet again Brett!

on a prev post you suggested adding a rotational velocity to the object to get the desired effect, care to elaborate?
    would that need be implemented via javascript?
    I havent tried this but releative.acceleration is the one you need (my mistake) Quoting the help file here:

Relative acceleration is applied relative to the rotation of the element.
    This is particularly useful for game elements that change direction, but only accelerate in their forward direction, such as rockets and cars.

For example:
    If an element has a rotation of 0, and a relative y acceleration is applied, it will move vertically.
    If an element has a rotation of 45 degrees, and a relative y acceleration is applied, it will move diagonally.
    If an element has a rotation of 90 degrees, and a relative y acceleration is applied, it will move horizontally.