A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: So who's doing what with it?

psx = new Moderator();
    Hey all - Good to see this new forum!! I've been waiting for it!

Anyway, been playing around with the flash-com server for a little over a week now - having tons of fun! Just wondering what others are using it for, and what cool new apps people are coming up with. I've started a little site to showcase my experiments, you can find it in my footer.

Also, what is the general opinion on the com-components? I feel that they are great at what they do, but am having trouble integrating them into anything else, and therefore have written my own chat, connection handler, etc. Seems they work great together but limit you in that they need to work with other components? Just having trouble seeing how I should be using them with the stuff I code myself I guess. Ie - how would I use the chat component if I wanted to use my own connection/login setup?

Happy flashcommin'

Psx

We put our hands on the comm server as soon as it came out.

here is an example of a videowall made out of greets made by our visitors.
    You can find it in the wallpaper section or there is a link on the blog window.

another feature which uses flashcom is video messaging which allows you to send a small video message to other visitors.

http://www.ego7.com

psx = new Moderator();
    WOW! once again, you guys never cease to amaze me!
    The video wall is great, it did some weird stuff, like I clicked a bunch of them, and saw the white flash, but nothing happened. I clicked on something else and all of a sudden all the ones I clicked started to play. Not sure if it was just a weird bandwidth hiccup or what.

At any rate, amazing! Is the blog using fcs as well?

I think maybe when you are all old and gray - I'm going to see if I can get you all cryogenically frozen so we can use your dna to produce amazing flashers.

psx

Originally posted by unCLICKable
    We put our hands on the comm server as soon as it came out.

here is an example of a videowall made out of greets made by our visitors.

another feature which uses flashcom is video messaging which allows you to send a small video message to other visitors.

http://www.ego7.com

You fooled me!
    Where are the video messages?

for some reason on different computers it works different.
    it also depends on the visitors connection speed.

the blog is not using fcs... yet

to Huub Helsen: read it carefully once again or should I type in large fonts?

Sorry but I don't see any video's in the videowall!
    It's either empty or I can't see it for some reason.
    What is fcs? First customer shipment?

I thought that it would be possible for people to leave a video message on your wall!
    If I click on the forward button I only see a white square zooming out.

Huub

Developer
    The Bluegrass State Will Flash For Food ™
    Originally posted by Huub Helsen
    What is fcs?
    fcs = flashcom = Flash Communication Server.

I'm playing around with the comm server as well, have a temp vid chat running here http://66.27.125.220 I haven't dolled it up, just wanted to get it working first.

If its down I'm making server changes...or got bored with it

unclickable, How did you make that Record option?

behind firewall

unCLICKable I think it has to do with my firewall!
    I tried the port test: http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl.../port_test.htm and it seems that all ports are blocked!

Does anyone know where I can find more info on this subject?

gr. Huub

Re: behind firewall

I'm doing this:

http://www.rswebdev.com/flashcom/chess.html

It doesn't work over the internet BUT does work over the NETWORK.

Long story.

But if you want to hear it here it is:

I've installed the Trial Version on my webserver (over IIS 5.0) And installed it as the "Developer Installation".

The above application is a mix of the "text_chat" and "share_ball" examples that come with FSC.

my RTMP line looks like this:
    client_nc.connect("rtmp://www.rswebdev.com/example_sharedball/room_01");

And the result is that EVERYTHING works WONDERFULLY if you're on the same network as the server. If you try to access it and your computer is not on the network... (well i think you know if you tried the link above)... IT DON'T WORK!

So that's 'what i'm doing with it' but it doesnt really work that well... A work in progress.

Any info that might help that would be great;
    thanks,

psx = new Moderator();
    Sounds like you're behind a firewall? See if you can open port 1935, or if you've changed your port settings, make sure whatever port it's using is open.

psx

psx = new Moderator();
    Hey - just checked it out anyway - good idea!
    Out of curiosity, how are you handling each piece? I mean does each piece have it's own so, or are you using just one so with an array or something?

Nice looking start though!
    Good luck with the firewall!
    psx

Originally posted by psychlonex
    Hey - just checked it out anyway - good idea!
    Out of curiosity, how are you handling each piece? I mean does each piece have it's own so, or are you using just one so with an array or something?
    psx
    I'm using a SO for each piece. I wrote the code (lots of cut and paste) and got it all set and then i did the Flash part... (making 6 different MC's; which split off into 32 instances of an MC: that i was using in the AS. The six different MC's are 1)pond 2)Rook 3)bishop 4)Knight 5)King 6)queen) and then i' put the code into the movie, tested and i had like two errors (upon trying to publish the movie) and when i fixed those (two curly braces missing) it was done and it all worked.

The tricky part was that the two original movies ("text_chat" and "shared_ball") both use the default client_nc as the name of the new connections... So I had to change one of them (and every occurance of that word) in the AS and everything was fine.

The script is about 1200 lines. But i think i'm going to try and increase performance (by using arrays for all the ponds. and one array for the knights etc) But seriously as far as i have seen, the performance (even at 1200 lines) is great.

Thanks for the "port" info. I'm almost sure that our Network Dude has all ports close that he doesn't think we're using.

I'll let you know if i finish this thing.