A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your experience using video....

Originally posted by Jonathan_B
    Whiterabbit,
    You wrote: "Our income is mainly derived from us using our product"
    So my question to you is, if I wanted to hire you to use your book to create your custom SV for me, how much would it cost and how long would it take?

jb
    We used to specify a 24 hour turn around. Prices started at $50 for a movie trailer. It takes about 15-20 minutes to do a movie trailer. Now we have grown, we usually turn down outside encoding work as we are filming most the time and encoding for our own clients.

Example: For the next 5-6 days we are filming Boxing, Kickboxing, Yoga, Wrestling etc for South Florida Boxing. The clips will be encoded by us as on-demand Flash simulated video and streamed from their web site which we are in the process of building as well. Clips will last between 2-3 minutes each.

What do we charge to film, $500-$5000 per day for mini-dv and DV, it depends, but thats production costs not encoding. For this job its all been rolled up into a lump sum including site construction so I dont have a breakdown of what the actual encoding estimate is.

JP.

great what you guys are tryna do, think you will be doing us all a great service. only one question so far -

is avi very standard for people encoding?
    i guess it must be for the pc, but i dont think many mac
    users would ever start encoding from an .avi file?

also, just as a note, i read alot of the video related
    posts, and there seems to b repeated *****'n btween some kids re: their products. i aint naming names, but often as a reader, it gets kinda tedious tryna see past the ego to find the info, maybe its just the nature of the business. no personal offence intend. and i do think that this idea is great, and way to try and tacking that issue professionally.
    thanks
    ss

Well, the fact that we've got everybody here ready to duke it out for the benefit off all is what I was after in the first place.

The reason I started this thread with the caveat is directly related to my experience in the Projector forum. Every time someone had a question about how to do something difficult (usually making a Mac autostart CD) some software rep would pipe in with the solution before anyone else could lend advice - "buy their software and all your headaches will go away!" The moderators try to keep it in check, but what 'cha gonna do? These guys are on the boards constantly.

In the projector experience, I ended up buying Toast Titanium and figuring it out for myself. I must have done something right, because the guy at the Mpls's biggest dup house said he had given up and was still using Toast 3! I showed him how I did it and I posted my method for creating a Flash/Audio CD on the Mac FAQ (if your interested). http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=231315

This is our forum to share experience and help each other save time and duplicated effort, not to promote software as a solution. We just have to keep everyone in check. So far, so good.

5G
    [Edited by Wheels on 08-21-2002 at 11:02 PM]

Originally posted by secondsign
    great what you guys are tryna do, think you will be doing us all a great service. only one question so far -

is avi very standard for people encoding?
    i guess it must be for the pc, but i dont think many mac
    users would ever start encoding from an .avi file?

also, just as a note, i read alot of the video related
    posts, and there seems to b repeated *****'n btween some kids re: their products. i aint naming names, but often as a reader, it gets kinda tedious tryna see past the ego to find the info, maybe its just the nature of the business. no personal offence intend. and i do think that this idea is great, and way to try and tacking that issue professionally.
    thanks
    ss
    Hey secondsign,

Im on Mac too. I cant remember how I came by it. maybe it comes with the newer quicitime but I have the avi to qt utility. At least as many people are working with .avi's (PC's version of the .mov) so might as well be able to handle both formats.

As for the video comparison. Lets hope it leads to a clearer understanding of all the options and considerations for streaming video involving Flash.

I have a suggestion for the sample clip. The new Lord of the rings trailer is up on the QuickTime site and low and behold - they are encouraging downloads in three size formats and have the files packaged in both .sit and .zip. Sounds like we have a good candidate and a free host.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/newline/the_two_towers/

So far my experience with Sorenson MX has proved that video already compressed with Sorenson 3 (like the trailers) is just as good as starting with a huge uncompressed file. One nice thing about the trailers, is that the sound is at 44.1kHz 16? or 32 stereo - so we have a good sound track to start with as well.

What do you all think? Any objections?

I've been in touch with John (the main mod here at Flashkit) and have requested a sticky FAQ and a sticky test thread for our little experiment.

5G

The higher the quality the source the more you can get away with (double compressing). For the web its usually not a big deal and I think its only important that we start from the same source.

This dark and misty type scenery always breaks down pretty fast. Its already got alot of noise in it but like I said as long as we start from the same source, Im okay with it.

I downloaded the full screen version and the medium version. maybe I will check out the large version too. Really wish we could start with some better source so we could also compare (just in a passing way to the existing trailers).

Also I was not able to open the audio, they might have it protected or my software might not be current enough, any ideas.

Cant wait to see the movie, last one was great.

cheers

JP

I think it would make sense to have another source that is basically raw, but I think the fast action and dark colors of the Rings movie will make for a good test.

I didn't take a look at the sound track, but they usually use QSound? .mp3 on the trailers. I ran it through Spark Pro and had no problems. May be a case of not having the codec on any of your machine, but then again - if you have QT you should be alright.

I believe the only difference between the full screen and large is the QT full skin, otherwise the screen size is the same. Probably just as well for us to use the large format for testing, the Full screen will have image tracks and sprites that we don't want. Ah, that may be the problem - probably a sound track with a control sprite, that would be a seperate layer in QT.

BTW Jorge, I recieved your CD today. I hope to get some time later this week to try it out. We did a bunch of testing with Squeeze over the weekend, can't wait to try Manta.

Hey again,

okay sounds good, I wanted to invite the DV community to check this out and I dont want to have to make the excuse that we started with already compressed footage, you would be surprised how attuned to detail those guys are.

I might need somebody to send me an aif if I cant get it open. As soon as I can get around to it I am going to start laying out a summary of all the pros and cons to SV as per my experience.

Is the Digital animation disqualified then? Its about a 400MB file but I can burn it on cd and send it to whoever is encoding.
    -----------------------------

On a different tune: Apparently interest in Flash video is surging. Alot of people have been asking me about automated features- pre loaders, media players with SV. To answer that -

Just like the downloadable movies and tutorials here on Flash kit you can create templates to use over and over. We have a few templates we include but our software has very little to do with automated solutions. It just makes it possible for the Flash Player to play back without bogging down the computer through ram consumption.

I just installed a Flash SV media player with typical controls that ties into php/mysql backend. All the video info is stored in the database...such as file size play time pre-load etc (the variables to calculate buffer time) as well as the video name. Now when ever a new video is added all we have to do is plug in those values via a browser interface. The links are generated automatically and the video loads dynamically into a template media player along with whatever other variables you want.

It took very little code to do this and I dont consider myself an expert programer or action scripter.

I hope that will answer some questions and if you emailed me and I didnt get back, sorry we are really swamped right now and I get about 200 emails every day.

Onward Ho!

Wildform Moderator
    Perhaps we should find other sources as well in other formats such as Mpeg, Windows Media, Mpeg4 AVIs, etc. People are using all types of video on the web, so we should make the test representative.

jb
    http://www.wildform.com

Originally posted by Jonathan_B
    Consequently, we suggest not creating files larger than 25MB for use on a CD Rom.
    Why the limit? Is this just a Mac issue?

Whats happening with the codec comparison?

Streaming media magazine has told me they will feature the results.

Wildform Moderator
    Mudgy wrote: "Why the limit? Is this just a Mac issue?"

No, it's not just a Mac issue. It's a Flash issue. Because of the way Flash works, when you have a SWF on CD, the Flash player loads the entire file into memory before it starts to play. So, depending on your computer's speed, ram, CD player speed, etc. your performance may vary.

jb
    http://www.wildform.com/flix

Originally posted by whiterabbit
    Whats happening with the codec comparison?

Streaming media magazine has told me they will feature the results.

Well my original proposal was to merely compare the different conversion programs using a couple of test files - Sorenson, Manta, Swideo, and Flix as well as any others.

The comparisons of codecs specifically was proposed by you Jorge. I don't have the technical expertise to construct or conduct such a test as I am merely a Flash technician. I suggest that if you would like to go forward with the test that those who are interested and qualified take up the task. I will lend any support that I can as a moderator of this forum.

I would still like to see a software comparison.

5G

We have been working extensively with Video in Flash MX.

I'm a 'bit lost as to the comparison test you want to conduct here. As I read it, you want to use the Lord of the Rings trailer as a test video. Then you want to imbed it into Flash, natively. Is that correct?

Then post our best compression version here for comparison along with how it was done?

Okay, I will go ahead and set up an independent comparison on my site along with a faq and if anybody thinks they can do better we can substitute that version over mine. That should be pretty fair.

If I am going to have to do it the focus is going to be on quality and file size like every other codec comparison thats ever been done. People who are more interested in automated solutions can listen to the propaganda of each software dealer, if your encoding video for a client thats all that is going to matter to them anyway.

Once I am done I will post the link, otherwise this thing is not going to get done and I really want to see myself what the outcome is going to be.

Cheers,

Jorge
    Manta Productions.com, inc.

Originally posted by mudgy
    We have been working extensively with Video in Flash MX.

I'm a 'bit lost as to the comparison test you want to conduct here. As I read it, you want to use the Lord of the Rings trailer as a test video. Then you want to imbed it into Flash, natively. Is that correct?

Then post our best compression version here for comparison along with how it was done?

Perhaps you would like to encode the LOTR in MX version then? The video would be viewable with flash player 6 thats the only requirement.

Sure...

So... best video and audio at smallest file size. Video size 480x210.

We're on it.

Cool,

mudgy can I send you a CD with some uncompressed footage of another video (3D effect video) as well. We have no problem working with the LOTR but I want to see results of video where we are working with just lightly compressed source as well, (its a 400MB file play time is about 2 min).

let me know where to send it if thats cool with you. You can also contact me off list at jorge@mantaproductions.com

Wildform Moderator
    I went to download the Lord of the Rings trailer, but there were a couple of issues: 1. the audio is protected Quicktime audio and won't convert, 2. the video is presented in a matte with LOTR banners on top and bottom.

Perhaps we need to select other video(s). Using unauthorized film studios copyrighted material is also not necessarily the best way to set up a test.

jb
    http://www.wildform.com

Hey guys....

I had no problem working with the QT file. I used the large video (480x210), not the full screen. Of course there is the issue with double compression, but it still looks really good. So far I have it down to 6M. Still working on it.