A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: site changes, new address

daveglanzproductions has moved...

due to replies about the speed of the download time of my site, I changed web hosts.

Hopefully this will make a big difference for those of you that couldn't see the site before.

Thanks for all the feedback, any more would be great!
    http://www.daveglanzproductions.com

bump

bump

I really dig your site and the way people are experimenting more with Flash windows in more interesting shapes. They don't ALL have to be horizontal rectangles. The only thing is that vertically, the Flash popup did not fit on my screen, so I don't know what I missed at the bottom of it. Many designers have large, wonderful screens, but most of their visitors don't... and laptops are more and more popular every day... just something to keep in mind. That's all the feedback I have, I really liked it.

Best regards,
    Stacy

Originally posted by Technograffiti
    I really dig your site and the way people are experimenting more with Flash windows in more interesting shapes. They don't ALL have to be horizontal rectangles. The only thing is that vertically, the Flash popup did not fit on my screen, so I don't know what I missed at the bottom of it. Many designers have large, wonderful screens, but most of their visitors don't... and laptops are more and more popular every day... just something to keep in mind. That's all the feedback I have, I really liked it.

Best regards,
    Stacy
    Thanks for the info! I designed the site to be 350 x 600, but forgot to include the top bar, etc. I"m assuming most people looking at the site will be on 1024 x 768, or will be in the future.

pc

Another thing...
    I've noticed the site moves much quicker on a PC than on a Mac. I've been paying attention to the Mac Player request forum, and getting frustrated with the inconsistancies on different platforms.

Any one know of a good way to produce a feedback form without using CGI, by the way?

Re: pc

bump

Re: Re: pc

anyone been able to view my site? I could really use the feedback, especially the server/download speed

site check

bump

I think it is well put together and thought out. I love the old photos which give it some charm.

There are a couple issues I have. The counter on your index page is not a good design element since it doesn't fit your focus.

Also I'm not digging the date and time on your site. It's too scrunched up and hard to read, not to mention a month behind.

Finally, I'm not sure you should be advertising your competitors in your link section. Just a thought.

.JC.

changes to dgp

Originally posted by jcmichaels
    I think it is well put together and thought out. I love the old photos which give it some charm.

There are a couple issues I have. The counter on your index page is not a good design element since it doesn't fit your focus.

Also I'm not digging the date and time on your site. It's too scrunched up and hard to read, not to mention a month behind.

Finally, I'm not sure you should be advertising your competitors in your link section. Just a thought.

.JC.

Thanks for the good word!

I've made a few changes, and added a simple feedback form.
    I'm curious to see how that works too.

Whoa!?
    I like the site a lot. Especialy that picture you have on the main page, the TV static in the eye, and buttons is a realy cool effect.
    I found the scrolling menu on the top of the Mulimedia, Video, and Graphic Design pages a bit hard to control.

~ch33z

Originally posted by Dr. Ch33z
    I like the site a lot. Especialy that picture you have on the main page, the TV static in the eye, and buttons is a realy cool effect.
    I found the scrolling menu on the top of the Mulimedia, Video, and Graphic Design pages a bit hard to control.

~ch33z
    Is anyone else having trouble with the menu on top of each of the three subsections? Any advice on how to fix this problem?

Thanks for all the feedback!

bump

bump

Whoa!?
    Originally posted by daveglanz
    Originally posted by Dr. Ch33z

~ch33z
    Is anyone else having trouble with the menu on top of each of the three subsections? Any advice on how to fix this problem?

Thanks for all the feedback!
    Maybee try increasing the speed for the scrollng. I like the effect, it just got anoying after a while because it moved so slow.

dgp changes

Some say the menu is too slow, some say too fast.
    I tried to find a middle ground, I think the speed is about right at this point.

I made some other changes, small things here and there to make the site more consistent.
    anyone else?

hey dave

is this site dynamic? it is way cool.

514k is way too much for preloading and i think there is no excuse for doing that.

a contact form would be nice.

">feedback" doesn't work.

that's all i have to say just now. if you have time, check my site please. http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=352533

Originally posted by mmjl
    hey dave

is this site dynamic? it is way cool.

514k is way too much for preloading and i think there is no excuse for doing that.

a contact form would be nice.

">feedback" doesn't work.

that's all i have to say just now. if you have time, check my site please. http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=352533
    How large should Flash files be? I thought 500kb-1.5mb would be ideal, at least for broadband.

What do you mean by contact form, a services order form?

The feedback form works, but I haven't put in any script to take the user to a new page.

That's one weird script you wrote, interesting effect. Any sites out there to look at?

Thanks for the input!

Originally posted by daveglanz

How large should Flash files be? I thought 500kb-1.5mb would be ideal, at least for broadband.
    [/B]
    doesn't matter how big the file is. it just depends how long a user has to preload.

if you would take the sound and all the pixelgraphics out of your flash-file and load them in later for example, the size would be much smaller.

or you could split the sections up in different flash-files. that has the advantage that the user loads only the content that he's interrested in.

by the way: the swf on the page i was talking about earlier is only 990 Byte (less than 1 kb). try to beat that.

great site! I really like all the flash. The thing I don't like is the pop-up. You should just dock it. Where do you host your site?

dgp site

The pop-up is an practical decision to make the site more self-contained. People often use the "BACK" button on a browser, which, of course, unloads the flash file and takes them out of the site.
    I also wanted to emphasize the vertical aspect of the site, using a pop-up seemed to work pretty well.

my host is ehostsource.com, and so far they've been pretty reliable, with, from what I can see, a pretty fast server.

Thanks for the good word, feel free to contact me with any other questions.