A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: **updated site...please be HARSH**

Smile

New sections added...please be HARSH...please look at

http://www.sportsperformanceacademy.co.uk/

click on 'start intro'

and from there please look at evening star online mag, sports zone, spa competitions, healthy eating, contact.

Please let me know what you think, but remember that the site was made to the users specifications....cheers

i acctually like your site wish mine was like that

-----------------
    YoungHistorians.com
    THE Place to learn anything about history!

minor king
    Hey

First, as a personal opinion, i dont like the masses of colors and images everywhere, it seems somewhat disjointed, but if the client wants it, definetely keep

functionality seems good, although two links in the awards section didnt do anything for me "schools triathlon" & "athlete of the future"

Are the "now entering (section)" screens a neessecity? they may be preloaders, if they arent, i wouldnt keep them. it was somewhat annoying to have it telling me that i was entering the section i had chosen a few times before actually going there.

"bootie Dance" link doesnt take me anywhere when clicked.

I did like the fact that the main page didnt have a scrollbar, and that everything fit / scaled fine in both 1024x768 and 800x600.

take out the now entering section and replace it wth loading or preparing content.

don't consider this harsh- just honest. i've added possible solutions after each critique (though i'm sure there are others with better solutions available on this board).

the animation is choppy, may need an increase in frame rate.

the homepage has too many choices. might want to channel that info in a way that will lead the viewer along to what he's looking for rather than put all the choices out there all at once.

the images are heavily pixellated- to the point of distortion even. if the client has better quality images, have them sent to you and replace those. even the best well designed and functional site will come off badly when the graphics are that bad.

i checked only one link- sports zone, which starts on the Holbrook page. then i clicked Chantry and the page forwarded ok, but the information did not change from Chantry when i clicked Stoke. think something might be wrong with those links.

kind of slow. maybe its getting lots of hits since you posted this link - seem like the longer i'm there the slower it gets.

and - the pop up window after the site has been closed, that will more than likely annoy most people. it's like shouting a thank you to a customer after they've left the building

but- if your client loves it - then they'll love you!

-cisco

Take this with a grain of salt

Sorry I timed out last time so im goign to make it short and sweet

1 It took a long time for me to actually get something to come up on the page I know you are located over the big pond but Im on a T1 and it took a while to get hte page to come up

2 You shouldn't be forced to view an intro
    there always needs to be a skip button available

3once i got to the end of the intro I couldnt go any further it was trying to redirect me but there wasnt any success but I could hear the click of the browser trying to go to another page

Ill check back in a bit to see if I can get past the intro

PS There are a lot of different colors flying around witht he images and the background and what not (lots of variety) maybe try to narrow it down to a few different colors to come up with a set scheme
    Keep up the good work

can be harsh ?? aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa right !

1- font used on the entrance page looks bad
    2- clicked on -intro- watched it... hummm thats it ??? damn...
    3- that purple gackground... i mean... well...
    4- gfx : poor quality
    5- fonts again...
    6- on mouse over... would have been nice if all of em had a little text thing...
    7- the evening star firm... should learn how to create banners/gfx... (maybe not yours, but its on YOUR site and it makes it look bad)

oh, i forgot... 8- that green background on entrance... get rid of it...

Not crazy about;
    Blurry pictures.
    Purple background with black text.
    Ugly fonts.

Some words:

Color, Harmony, Contrast.

Originally posted by clarkkent00213246
    but remember that the site was made to the users specifications....cheers
    Sorry, didn't see this the first time around.

Why do you think a company hires a designer to build them a website, draw up a brochure, or put together a tradeshow display?

Because they don't know how.

And that's how it should be. Let them know that.

Richard

Get rid of the clients specifications and do your own thing. To tell you the truth, a retarded chimp could have given you better direction than your client.

The site is called sports performance academy, yet the entire site is slow and lagging, it's a contradiction in design and focus.

The green and purple backgrounds are horrendous and should be eliminated immediately. They are both too forground intensive colors. When you look at the site the content should be the focus not the background so lose em.

Next, fonts. Stop it, stop it right now. The fonts are all wrong. Comic Sans is not the font for a sports site, hence the name Comic. Not only that but the font has this slouching quality that isn't indicative of your focus. Now as for using Arial which I happen to like because it's clean and easy to read, don't use it for your animations. Arial is not an "impact" font, it's used for text and menu's and occasionally header's.

The pictures are awfully pixelated that they become nearly unrecognizable. Not to mention they are poorly cropped. When you are missing a portion of your sponser's logo you know something is wrong. The pictures also look like they were scanned from someone's high school yearbook.

Now for your navigation. There are too many choices that it would seem like it would take forever to get through them all. Try consolidation or even leading the user to another section from the one the clicked on. I don't know if this is possible since I can't seem to access the rest of the site, which I guess is a blessing since I'm sure it would be like opening the door to hell.

I don't think I covered everything, but just the thought of exploring the wrongs of the site seems unfair to me. So I am going to leave the site and pray that I don't by some fluke of nature come across it in my Internet travels.

Was that harsh enough? You know I was almost kidding about none of it. I'm just sorry that you have them as a client.

No hard feelings, kay?

.JC.