A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: problem with php mailer

you set it to your out going mail server?? thats the one you need to set it to. if the are both the same then it should work. restart yur server after you do this to then test it.

chuck

yes I set it to the smtp host specified in my Mail program and I restarted the server, didn't work.

what are your smtp servers?? i want to see if they work off my server. that is if you don't mind.

chuck

its smtp.telus.net

whats your e-mail??

just so you know i am not trying to hack you our anything. just seeing if i can figure it out.

hatchway@telus.net

Hi

a) do you have that sendmail (mail server package) installed? check if there is /usr/sbin/sendmail or /usr/lib/sendmail
    b) how do you authenticate with your smtp server? Some systems use encrypted password exchange, and many are just pop b4 smtp (when you pick up your mails, the mail server will remember your current ip and allow you to send from that ip during the next xx minutes)

Musicman

hey musiceman dose he need to fill this field out??

sendmail_path =

its in the php.ini file and it says unix only. so what you think.

musicman, I do have sendmail under /usr/sbin. it should be the encrypted password for authentication.

[Edited by nia on 08-19-2002 at 05:56 AM]

Hi,

sendmail_path is empty on my ssystem, so probably /usr/sbin/sendmail is the default value.
    If your mail program does use sendmail, everything should work. If it does its own sending, you will have to find out how to configure sendmail to do the right thing

Musicman

musicman:

how do I check to see if my Mail program uses sendmail or not?

Thanx again.

Hi,

maybe there is a bit of documentation...
    Normally, if setting the mail server is part of the actual mail program, it is likely that it handles sending itself. If you set it at an entirely different place, it would be split in a user and a transfer part.
    Of course, having the user side program transferring settings to the other program would be possible - and user friendly as well.
    If the mail program allows you to choose among several accounts when checking or sending mail, most likely it does not rely on sendmail.
    Also you could temporarily rename that sendmail program and see whether you still can send mail...

Musicman

There is a posting in the PHP manual's errata section under the mail function that may be of some help:

gory@alphasoft-bg.com
    05-Apr-2002 06:28

Linux
    Known situation mail() not work, but why ???

Try send a simple mail from shell
    root@alpha:~# sendmail xxx@yyy.com
    strange error ???

collect: Cannot write ./dfg35A7vav022304 (bfcommit, uid=XXX, gid=XXX): Permission denied

queueup: cannot create queue temp file ./tfg35A7vav022304, uid=XXX: Permission denied

Don't mess with permissons on /var/spool
    /var/mail /var/spool/mqueue
    Just set them follow the instructions from sendmail readme
    It seems that when sendmail runs not like a daemon ( without -bd or -bD options ) it doesn't use corect QueueDirectory from /etc/mail/sendmail.cf

The solution is

set this line in php.ini
    ;For Unix only.You may supply arguments as well (default:'sendmail -t -i').

sendmail_path="/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i -OQueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue/"

That's all. mail() now work fine ))
    Hope this will save up somebody's time, because i spent a lot of hours in digging and tearing my hair (and my mother will colapse if she hear what a words i use ))
    http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.mail.php

Hope that helps!
    Jerry

If the mail program allows you to choose among several accounts when checking or sending mail, most likely it does not rely on sendmail.
    Also you could temporarily rename that sendmail program and see whether you still can send mail...

Musicman
    according to what you said, my mail program probably doesn't rely on sendmail cuz it allows different accounts. how can I rename the sendmail program?

thanks again.

did you ever get you e-mail working??

hi greenelephant, no never got it working..it's too complicated for me so I just gave up. thanks for asking though

i was thinking that it might be you provider. they might have restricktions but i am not sure about it. you can try calling them and asking them see if they could help you.