A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Need Better Control of Rotation

Is there any way I can set the amount of rotation I wish to apply to an object rather than click and dragging the trackball (which is rather imprecise). I know about setting the step sizes but what if I want to rotate an amount other than the defaults?

And, if I cannot set rotation this way, is there at least a way to get a reading for how much rotation has been applied?

Thanks.

Anyone know the answer to this question?

test

Originally posted by 1a2b3c4d
    Is there any way I can set the amount of rotation I wish to apply to an object rather than click and dragging the trackball (which is rather imprecise). I know about setting the step sizes but what if I want to rotate an amount other than the defaults?

And, if I cannot set rotation this way, is there at least a way to get a reading for how much rotation has been applied?
    I've been having some trouble with my computer the last few days. I actually tried to reply to this probably a dozen times. I couldn't get the email to work either. Things are running a bit more smoothly now, so I was hoping to have more success this time, but for some reason I just can't reply to your thread.

No, I'm afraid there is no other way to rotate an object other than using the Object Trackball. I know it's not an ideal setup, but there are some things you can do to work with it, though. It all depends on what you are doing, but if I need to rotate an object by an amount that is not covered by the default increments, the first thing I will do is save my file.

Then I will select the object and take a good hard look at the Object Trackball while I slowly rotate the object with the increments set to 0. If you peer closely enough, you can discern that the object does actually move in one degree increments, there is just no way currently to keep track of where you are at. If you use a steady hand and keep track of the individual "ticks", you can solve most of your rotational woes.

To sum up, use the default increments to get you within 5 degrees of your desired rotation setting and then carefully watch the single "ticks" as you rotate the object with the Object Trackball the final few degrees.

If you have a spasm or just plain forget where you are at, you can always hit the button to the right of the Object Trackball that resets the rotation of your object. Be careful about using this though, as the results of the operation may not always match your expectations. And again, I highly recommend saving your file often, especially prior to perfoming any operations that you are not completely comfortable with. This practice will save you a lot of headaches.

Posted on Behalf of Rushvision who's having posting problems!!!

Thanks for the answer and suggestion. I figured this was the case but was hoping for a super-secret technique to make this easy!

I appreciate your suggestion and will try and fine-tune my mouse hand!

You can get closer than 5 degrees. I was hoping someone had a more accurate way, but you can constrain to 22.5, 10, and 5 degrees. Therefore, you can get within 2.5 degrees by going 22.5, back 10 (twice), then do the five if you wanted -5 degrees. Of course, other combinations will work, but at least it gets you closer than the "minimum" of five degrees.

If RazoR's "1 degree" post is correct, this means you can get to within 0.5 degrees of your intended rotation. I usually get it to within 2.5, then move it the very accurate amount called a "smidgen."

Here's an idea I just came up with... How about using the timeline? Go to frame 90, rotate by a costrained 30 degrees... pick out whatever frame you want, and then you have it within 1/3 of a degree? Think this might work?

I said it was an idea... I didn't say it was a GOOD idea,

Don

Level,

It sounds like a good idea you came up with. However, is there a way to grab or copy a frame for use elsewhere?

In Flash, all I would need to do is insert a keyframe in the middle of a tweened timeline and then copy that keyframe to use elsewhere. Can I insert a keyframe in Swift 3D and then copy the frame?

And, finally, even if your idea works it only solves half of my problem. I want to be able to control rotation AND be able to retrieve settings. I'm surprised there is no way to determine how much rotation has been applied.
    [Edited by 1a2b3c4d on 08-21-2002 at 10:58 PM]

Well, I know you can export a single frame from the animation tab. That will allow you to take it to Flash for whatever you want. Use the "export current frame" button with the animation rendered for Flash swf, and then bring that single frame (import) into Flash. Remember to select the proper frame first, of course.

And my 90 frames with 30 degrees was just an example. Have you tried this? I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I've not yet tried it myself.

Maybe the next version of Swift will have the ability to set a rotation angle rather than selecting from a list. Were that available, then this whole thread would be unnecessary. If it isn't in V3, then one of us can submit it to the "what I'd like to see" forum at erain.com

I agree that it would be a nice feature that doesn't seem like it would be too hard to implement.

Regards,
    Don