A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Video burps after squeezing -- aaaarrrrggghh!!!

I've Squeezed a bunch of small flv's -- 240X180, no sound, 1:1, about 650 frames and imported them to a mc. When playing, the video burps and replays the first 100 frames or so. It's happened with several clipas, but not all.

The process usually goes like this:
    -- a 720X480 mov (600MB) is compressed (with Cleaner) to a 320X240 mov which is used on the site elsewhere.
    -- The reduced mov is trimmed in QT Pro to a snippet of about 10 sec
    -- I import the trimmed mov into Squeeze MX and eliminate the video. 240X480, 1:1, 24fps, same as flash movie, filter fadein .5 sec, fade out .5 sec.
    -- FLV is imported into mc with no stop action (I want it to loop) and mc is placed on main timeline in one frame (or many frames, it doesn't matter)
    -- Video plays great first time through the loop; starts a second time and that's where the problem begins -- it plays 100 frames or so and jumps back to beginning and plays from beginning through to end. Then the process repeats itself all over again.

Anyone else experience the same thing? What am I doing wrong? Or is it a bug in the video playback of MX?

I'm not sure what the source of the looping problem is, but why so many compression steps? If you're using Sqeeze MX you should start with your 600MB file and do all your filtering and sizing there.Every time you break it down you are going to lose quality and risk skips.

Rule #1; Start with uncompressed materials.

As far as the FLV into MC, test in the bandwidth profiler. Output a text trace(_currentframe) to watch what's going on. You could also check the end of the movie with a:
    Code:
    if(_currentframe==_totalframes){
         trace("end of flv");
    }
    Test, test, test...

5G

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wheels
    but why so many compression steps?

Test, test, test...

[QUOTE]

Actually I have used Squeeze with the big uncompressed files and converted them in to smaller, more manageable movs that are used elsewhere on the site. I have Cleaner on my Mac and Squeeze on my PC so I swap files back and forth a lot, testing compression settings in both.

The Squeezed files I have been testing I've run straight from uncompressed through Squeeze and the large swfs play well on my machines, but over the internet the video has a hard time keeping up with the audio. Need to do more testing, I guess.

The looping thing is weird - I did manage to make it stop by saving the FLV in a separate swf and loading the movie on another layer, which is probably what i should have done in the first place.

All future compression and trimming will be done from original grande files.

I'll try the BW Profiler thing you suggest. Thanks for the help.

Great,

Just had a convo with Jonathon from Wildform, he says you can also get good results from going from .avi down to .mov. I guess the #1 rule still applies though, you want to go with the least amount of compression in the transefer from .avi to .mov.

5G