2. Everyone else

Judging will be seperate among the two

you got that right.

....he's amazing!!! lesli_felix's Avatar
    Originally posted by senocular
    Dont worry. There will be two class divisions in the final outcome:

1. Ed Mack
    2. Everyone else
    There are quite a few talented coders that visit this forum, trouble is, most only drop by occasionally.

Just make sure this contest gets publicised enough, then you'll make sure a few more seasoned coders get involved.

once I get the sign up page done (hopefully tonight) I will put out a notice on the newsgroups and all the other message boards officially announcing it.

If anyone knows of other places to publicize it let me know

Ive already posted an announcement in lunde thingy. i check if its popular

This contest is coming along nicely, i might even enter myself! even though i've only ever finsihed about 3 games i ever started... It's a good learning experience and some fun though, so what the heck...

Just one idea on the 5/mx debate... i think both should be allowed, but maybe have two different "winners", because there are added advantages with using mx. Maybe have a flash 5 winner and an mx winner, makes it a bit fairer, and still allows people to use what they feel most comfortable with.

Good idea, i have F5, i would get MX but its too dear, they should have an upgrage for flash 5 which should be free.

half as fun, double the price senocular's Avatar
    heh I think the F5->MX upgrade is only like $99 though. And I think the full educational version of MX is or at least was $99 too.

jonmack's idea is good. There can be an overall winner and then best F5 game and best MX game - along with the other categories (like those in the contest this one is based on) etc.

....he's amazing!!! lesli_felix's Avatar

Places to publicise....

Web forums:

http://www.flashkit.com
    http://www.were-here.com
    http://www.actionscript.org
    http://www.ultrashock.com
    http://www.gamedev.net

Newsgroups:

alt.macromedia.flash
    macromedia.flash
    uk.comp.graphics.flash
    free.it.appl.macromedia.flash
    dk.edb.internet.webdesign.flash

Limehouse, Ontario - Never heard of it? Not surprised.
    I'm going to try my hardest and beat Ed Mack. YOU'RE GOING DOWN!!!

And just a quick comment. Coding is definately a talent, but it takes something different to create something thats worth playing. Programmers often work well when given specific problems. If given too broad a scope, there can be trouble.

Hopefully Ed is braindead creatively. haha

If someone needs some help putting together a php voting system I can help. I wrote some voting functions awhile back that only allow one vote per ip and work with a mySQL backend. I think I can take care of webspace too. My ICQ # is 82341662.

Oh, forgot to mention that I have some uploading scripts written for submissions. I can modify it so the contestant can update his swfs if he makes changes.

Edmack is probably on holiday, i haven't heard from him for ages, don't be scared of him, he aint the best.

I'm actually not. I'm pretty damned good myself. haha, arrogant, aren't I?
    [Edited by devnull_2k on 08-22-2002 at 11:13 PM]

Originally posted by strangelife2k
    Edmack is probably on holiday, i haven't heard from him for ages, don't be scared of him, he aint the best.

well unlike most programmers - ed does a lot with just a few lines of code. look at his source files and see for yourself

Heh... sounds like some of you are already getting nervous?!?!
    I don't think the winner is obvious. Lets all do our best!

Well, I was just wondering what you guys mean with 8x8 games?
    Do you mean like chess? 8x8 squares???

Anyway, I will bring the news about this contest to a swedish flashforum as well..
    More entries = More fun!

MattGuest: I think this is a very fun idea!

I also think the - lets say the three - best entries should win some kind of prize-image (or whatever you call it) that they can put in their game, and maybe on their website??

Originally posted by lesli_felix
    There are quite a few talented coders that visit this forum, trouble is, most only drop by occasionally.
    [/B]
    I'll tell you why you don't get many talented coders contributing. I think there are 3 classes of people on here:
    1. good coders, know what makes a good game, professionals perhaps.
    2. people who want to learn how to make games
    3. people who want to throw a game together but have no concept of how a game works at all, or programming theory.

I really don't like number 3 as they bug me and put me off coming into this forum. Example:
    "I want to make a game like mario, but i have no idea what i am doing. i dont know the theory behind games. can someone make it for me and give me the fla so i can import my own graphics, then come back and moan because i dont understand how it works".

I'm not talking about people who just haven't grasped the coding aspect, as that's number 2. I come on to this forum to see if anyone has finished anything decent or if there are some worthy questions that need answering. Ed Mack isn't the best games coder in the world, but he knows what hs is doing and shares his knowledge with people, which is why you all want to have his babies and get married to him, so to speak.

We could do with 3 seperate games forums, one for those advanced developers, one for people who really want to learn how to write the code and a third for the people who don't want to learn and want you to do it for them (so that they can be ignored basically).

Phew, got that off my chest. Any views on my rant?

8x8 is just a game using an 8x8 board. I don't think it has to be anything specific, so you can be creative.

is this comp going to start australian or us time? 31 of auguste in australia starts about 13 hours before USA.

as for views on your rant, i still think that it should just be one competition. there are no prizes, and if people want to copy and paste, then they arent going to get anything out of it - others still will. the whole idea is for it to be totally open source - if people are going to copy, everyone will know anyway.

i think an image to put on your website or game is also a good idea, like the ludum dare contest. maybe everyone who participates can get one

whoevers making the voting site - post when you are done.

Smile

Its friday here in the UK and the comp, i thought is meant to be tomorrow, whats the topic matt?

Originally posted by jorosdaman
    as for views on your rant, i still think that it should just be one competition. there are no prizes, and if people want to copy and paste, then they arent going to get anything out of it - others still will. the whole idea is for it to be totally open source - if people are going to copy, everyone will know anyway.
    Please read my post again. I was replying to an earlier post, suggesting their be seperate game forums, not competitions.

I don't have time to enter as I'm going to be outside enjoying the sunny south of england. 48 hours sat making a game! man, that's a long time. If you are in the uk, you should get out the house and enjoy the bank holiday.

Have fun.