A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: $$$$ What to charge?!?! $$$$

I created the following navigation in FlashMX: http://www.cal-am.com/home.html

to review the source go to:
    http://www.vankempema.com/flash/cal-am_nav.fla

I had to get some help, and spent many hours troubleshooting, but it's finally finished! Now I'm having trouble with what to charge my client...I can't charge for all the troubleshooting time....

I have also included the fla file in delivery to the client, so they "own" the source as well as the swf. What's a fair value in that?

All honest numbers and any explanations of costs are VERY appreciated!

Additionally, any input to help determine a "market rate" for Flash would also be of great help. What do you charge per hour?

(Not sure if you wanted suggestions or not, but you should center that in the middle of the page, with that said...)

How long did you spend on the site? And what did you already tell the client? You must've communicated some type of information regarding how much you were gonna charge?

Developer
    The Bluegrass State Will Flash For Food ™
    how many hours did it take you from start to finish? add consultation with the client and testing.

charge = (hours) * ($20) * (years of flash design experience)

I think you should make the scrollbar a lil' more unobtrusive, like black and white or somethin; I personally think it draws to much attention

(what does that have to do with the topic? :d))

Originally posted by Raverix
    (Not sure if you wanted suggestions or not, but you should center that in the middle of the page, with that said...)
    I started this design centered...the client wanted it flushed left!!

"The customer's always right!"

How long did you spend on the site? And what did you already tell the client? You must've communicated some type of information regarding how much you were gonna charge?
    I work with this client on a number of projects, and it's been a "bill as you go" kind of relationship. Typically, i've billed him hourly as the work comes in.

This was a little different because the entirity of the project has STILL yet to be fully realized. Since he can't tell me how much there will be to do, I haven't been very able to give him much of a project quote!

Because I spent so many extra hours troubleshooting (what I consider to be a "learning curve"), I'm trying to figure out what could be a reasonable rate for the finished product.

Any suggestions?

Moved from Flash MX Help !!

This thread already exists here.

compgrfik, and anyone else this may pertain to...
    Please choose only one forum that you feel is appropriate for your questions/posts. Double-posting is not a good idea, and causes unnecessary work to clean up.

Thanks!

-Jay

ps.... thread closed!