A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: $$$$ What to charge?!?! $$$$

I created the following navigation in FlashMX: http://www.cal-am.com/home.html

to review the source go to:
    http://www.vankempema.com/flash/cal-am_nav.fla

I had to get some help, and spent many hours troubleshooting, but it's finally finished! Now I'm having trouble with what to charge my client...I can't charge for all the troubleshooting time....

I have also included the fla file in delivery to the client, so they "own" the source as well as the swf. What's a fair value in that?

All honest numbers and any explanations of costs are VERY appreciated!

Additionally, any input to help determine a "market rate" for Flash would also be of great help. What do you charge per hour?

Moved from Newbies Help !!

Originally posted by compgrfik
    I had to get some help, and spent many hours troubleshooting, but it's finally finished! Now I'm having trouble with what to charge my client...I can't charge for all the troubleshooting time....
    hmmm...
    You didn't quote the client before you started?
    And now the client already has the source.

This is definitely not a situation you should have gotten yourself into. Please make a note of this situation, locate it it on the map and mark it with a big black X so you know not to ever go there again.

Now, being that you are a newbie, I will tell you here and now that not billing for troubleshooting is definitely a sign of weakness and lack of self-confidence.
    Include the cost of troubleshooting, bill it as you will... "discounted" or what have you, but do bill for it.
    The fact that you took the time to make it work right is something any client should be happy to pay for.

As far as a "market rate" for flash...
    there is no such thing, you charge what you feel you are worth. If you have no clue as to what you're worth, start off at $20 an hour, that's a nice round number and shouldn't make you squirm so much when you deliver the final bill.

The Minister of No Crap

l0ungeb0y is right. Make sure you always have an agreed price along with a contract before you start a job.

-scott

Dynamic Systems, Inc. mikaelian's Avatar
    something around $200-300.

if 200-300 is what you think you should charge, then do charge it.
    that's a bit low tho.

I agree, $200-$300 seems quite low for the amount of work involved in creation/troubleshooting.

It took quite a bit of time and numerous posts to flashkit to manage to find a way to keep only one window open at a time...

mikaelian, would you mind elaborating on why you think this to be a reasonable price?

UnderTheSun, if $300 is low, what do you think it should be closer too?

Be careful how you word things here guys. Price-fixing is illegal and there are people that wander around these areas that could notice that. Any solid discussions of pricing are bordering on legal issues and you don't want to get in trouble. That's why pricing talks shouldn't be held on boards. There have been places in the past that have had severe consequences for this.

Originally posted by [-S|NiStEr_MiNd-]
    Be careful how you word things here guys. Price-fixing is illegal and there are people that wander around these areas that could notice that. Any solid discussions of pricing are bordering on legal issues and you don't want to get in trouble. That's why pricing talks shouldn't be held on boards. There have been places in the past that have had severe consequences for this.
    "price-fixing"? What is that? I've never heard the term.

Are you suggesting something resembling "anti-trust"?

No, price fixing is when a bunch of people get together to discuss price setting in a certain industry. It's illegal in Canada and the U.S. and i'm pretty sure it is overseas too.

The Minister of No Crap

Whatever the case may be, I think compgrfik got the answer to his question. Just remember that not all websites are alike and should be charged for accordingly.

Thread closed.

-scott