A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: concerned about flash project..

The stuttering problem is caused by the very use of LoadMovie or LoadMovieNum. Did you check out the other threads that I referred to? Finally, if you really., really want to see this problem, try using LoadMovie to load SWFs into a projector running on a CD. The slower the CDROM speed, the greater your chance of encountering this problem.

I hope you understand that is for the Flash MX/Flash 6 projector, not the Flash5 projector. In Flash 5, these techniques worked fine; its broken in the newest version.

Finally, import a few 44kHz, 16bit Stereo WAVs into your FLA and you're in trouble. If you start with MP3, import a 128KBps MP# and watch that one explode to a 44kHz 16-bit Stereo WAV inside the Flash MX authoring tool.

[quot]Either way, it can take up to 10 minutes to make a .swf this way.[/quot]
    Exactly why one would want to use LoadMovie. But, loading a SWF with Streaming audio is unreliable in the Flaxh MX/6 projector. What's the confusion?

-Arjun

Yes Arjun,

I agree, MX is not the solution for projector delivery of streaming audio or video at this time. I thought you had covered that.

I was recommending Flash 5, and not trying to bring a .mp3 into Flash to export as .swf (which is basically an .mp3 in Flash wrapper) - but rather convert it to .wav or .aif first (which are large files) but do compress nicely when exported as a .swf. Recompressing an .mp3 is always a bad method and will give your diminished results every time.

So the confusion was: will he have problems trying to convert the .mp3's to .swf then using loadMovie in MX - the answer - yes. Will you have these problems when using an .aif or .wav to .swf in Flash 5 using loadMovieNum? No.

5G

stuttering

I've been running into the same problem. I have a standalone .exe that loads .mp3 files to narrate each "screen" in this CBT. The problem is inconsistent, i can't make it happen on command. It has never happened to my laptop(dell latitude) which is faster than the problem IBM laptops. The audio is not streamed just loaded and then played. So it'll be going along and then the audio stutters and cuts out.

Now i read that a loaded mp3 (streaming or not) is cached in the browser when using the plug-in. I'm wondering has anyone tried to increase the available storage via the right click options menu for the standalone exe. to see if it helps. Maybe it's a memory problem. I've done it but i can't recreate the problem consistently to see if i actually fixed it.-e

Sporadic Member therhomworkshop's Avatar
    thanks everyone...

will try what you suggest wheels, i have done this before in flash 5 but this was a web based project so it just streamed from the server...

will try this and test it thoroughly,

thanks again for the advice...

Make sure to check the link I posted on the first page of this thread.

5G

wheels,

earlier you mentioned about using a smaller swf file with just actionscript telling the player to load another movie...

just wanted to know is there any point putting a preloader on this ?

do preloaders work on cd's ? some people say they do others say they dont... whats the score ?

also ive managed to make the cd drive icon (pc) change to the one for the project, but how do i actually change the icon of the flash.exe file on the disc ? also how do i do all this icon changing on a mac ?

i apologize for asking more questions...

thanks..

How did you change the CD icon? I actually had problems with that on both Mac and PC and never followed up on it. Please share it and I'll get it into the new FAQ.

To change the other icon you just add this to your autorun command.
    Code:
    [AutoRun]
    open=ShanePC.exe
    icon=support/bluesky.ico
    As far as changing the Mac icon, you'll need to get Resedit (Mac) http://www.versiontracker.com there is more info on how to do this in the Mac forum.

As far as preloaders go, I've never tried one on a CD - maybe someone else?? The word seems to be that it's not possible.

basically i used exactly the same code you have there..
    this would change the cd drive icon but not the flash.exe icon.. strange... know why this may be?

Makes sense, I thought you said you had changed the projector icon. I know it's possible, but I'm not sure how. Check the projector forum or Macromedia's site.

I tried doing it on the desktop, got it to work on my machine but not the CD.

5G

no you cant do a preloader on a cd, cos of the way the flash player works on cd it loads everything into ram first anyway, so you wold only see a flash of your preloader and then your movie would start.

Fly on you crazy diamond. gingerbreadgirl's Avatar
    Originally posted by Wheels
    Makes sense, I thought you said you had changed the projector icon. I know it's possible, but I'm not sure how. Check the projector forum or Macromedia's site.

I tried doing it on the desktop, got it to work on my machine but not the CD.

5G
    I think you need a program called exescope. I did it a long time ago and still have the program but forgot how to use it. There is a tutorial out there somewhere.

cheers gingerbread girl downloaded the program you suggested and it works fine ! !

need to see if it works okay on cd though...

found out how to do this on a mac as well... check out the instructions below.. thanks to jake@firebox...

"simply edit the icon 32x32 pixels in photoshop, indexed color using mac system palette, save with icon (i think he means with icon extension eg. start.icon) select file, get info, select icon, copy, select file you want to copy icon to, get info, select icon, paste"

he said for more complex stuff head over to http://www.iconfactory.com....

ave'nt tried it yet, as i avnt got a mac, would any one like to try it to see if it works..? would love to know if it does...

thanks again everyone..

arrgghhh ! !

it works on my hard drive but not when burnt to CD.. ! !

it just appears with the defdault exe icon, you know the blue rimmed window box...

anyone got any suggestions..?

Originally posted by therhomworkshop
    arrgghhh ! !

it works on my hard drive but not when burnt to CD.. ! !

it just appears with the defdault exe icon, you know the blue rimmed window box...

anyone got any suggestions..?
    okay ive managed to do it now... basically i didnt re-write the cd properly... doh!

also found this neat plugin for mac and pc called iconbuilder, check it out at the iconfactory link above if you dont already know about it...

Nice job homshop!

Make sure and remind me to add your methods to the new FAQ when you see it come up, better yet - add it to the unofficial now and I'll just move it over later.

http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=356715

5G

okay im offically scared...

i tried out my intro on an new ibook today and it looked really really bad.. like it just stutter's along, looking like it was about to crash...!!!

why is there such a massive preformance difference between mac's and pc's when it comes to the flash player? its ridiculus !!! im constantly told that mac's are better for graphics and video, but this just takes the piss ! !

am gona try using a HQX projector file next to see if that may work. will have to allocate it a s**t load of memory though..

am seriously thinking of porting over to director though, flash seems just a little to slow on mac's for my liking..

will let you know how i get on..